• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Philadelphia, June 1-4, 2017
1 1

64 posts in this topic

It really makes me sad that this type of product is being displayed in the isles at conventions of the hobby i love,

i feel deep, deep shame that this is accepted and promoted even at just one comic con, for even if it was for just one hour

Our show was much like Bob's. Pretty horrific. We had a 30's something couple in the booth. Wife begins massaging her temples. Walks around a few minutes. There is no where to hide from the endless supply of incessant cover bands butchering yet another song. Every one of them played non-stop as they literally had a captive audience. I fantasized often about how much $$$ it would take to shut them up!  She to her husband "sorry, this is supposed to be fun, we need to leave".  And off they went. $0 in sales from them. Other comments we heard throughout the show.

Customer:

How much is the Hulk #181?  

Me: $3400.  

Customer: $400? I'll have to think about it.

To be fair, he could hardly hear me above the din.

If it weren't for 3 customers who would meet me on the side of the highway, it would've been our 2nd worst show ever. At the end of the day, Wizard is going to do what it thinks is best for Wizard. I get that. What I don't get is creating an atmosphere that is totally retailer unfriendly. Why are selling comic books and all of the other garbage mutually exclusive? It reminded me very much of walking down the midway at the county fair complete with hucksters and carnival barkers. I feel badly for Peter Katz and Em Wengel, both of whom have been great to me and both of whom I consider friends. There is a 0% chance we would go back to Philly in it's current format. And it's 2 hours door to door. A true shame, one of our favorite cities on the tour and it used to be a top 5 show for us.  

Best to all,

Greg

On 2017-06-10 at 8:33 PM, 1950's war comics said:

It really makes me sad that this type of product is being displayed in the isles at conventions of the hobby i love,

i feel deep, deep shame that this is accepted and promoted even at just one comic con, for even if it was for just one hour

10 hours ago, gregreece said:

Our show was much like Bob's. Pretty horrific. We had a 30's something couple in the booth. Wife begins massaging her temples. Walks around a few minutes. There is no where to hide from the endless supply of incessant cover bands butchering yet another song. Every one of them played non-stop as they literally had a captive audience. I fantasized often about how much $$$ it would take to shut them up!  She to her husband "sorry, this is supposed to be fun, we need to leave".  And off they went. $0 in sales from them. Other comments we heard throughout the show.

Customer:

How much is the Hulk #181?  

Me: $3400.  

Customer: $400? I'll have to think about it.

To be fair, he could hardly hear me above the din.

If it weren't for 3 customers who would meet me on the side of the highway, it would've been our 2nd worst show ever. At the end of the day, Wizard is going to do what it thinks is best for Wizard. I get that. What I don't get is creating an atmosphere that is totally retailer unfriendly. Why are selling comic books and all of the other garbage mutually exclusive? It reminded me very much of walking down the midway at the county fair complete with hucksters and carnival barkers. I feel badly for Peter Katz and Em Wengel, both of whom have been great to me and both of whom I consider friends. There is a 0% chance we would go back to Philly in it's current format. And it's 2 hours door to door. A true shame, one of our favorite cities on the tour and it used to be a top 5 show for us.  

Best to all,

Greg

Greg... In all fairness, if the guy had to "think" about a $400 #181, he was never gonna buy it in the first place.   FWIW I will buy every $400 copy you have, and I will meet you on the side of a highway to buy them.

Jim