• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McDONALDS 1955 and COMICS...ETC

25 posts in this topic

Here is the first McDonalds menu and prices from 1955...McDonalds effectively was created in 1940 but not until subsequent changes and persons involved (Ray Croc) would it become the franchise chain in 1955...

McDonalds_Menu_zpsbiw9licp.jpg

You could get a comic for 10-cents and a Mcburger for $15-cents...2 bits :o:insane:

Comics would move to 12c in 1962. Thought it might be a cool thread to post what you could still buy for less than 2-bits (25-cents to you millenials)...say...before comics went to 15-cents in 1969...

When I started collecting, comics were still a dime. For my quarter I could buy 2 comics and a candy bar. Soon though, they raised the price to 12 cents. Now I'm looking at two comics and a gumball. Sometimes I would find a couple empty soda bottles @ two cents deposit so I could still get my candy bar !

Here is the first McDonalds menu and prices from 1955...McDonalds effectively was created in 1940 but not until subsequent changes and persons involved (Ray Croc) would it become the franchise chain in 1955...

You could get a comic for 10-cents and a Mcburger for $15-cents...2 bits :o:insane:

Comics would move to 12c in 1962. Thought it might be a cool thread to post what you could still buy for less than 2-bits (25-cents to you millenials)...say...before comics went to 15-cents in 1969...

A lot of those items are now on the dollar menu while comics are now four bucks a piece.

We had a body shop behind the house. When I wanted a quarter to run down & buy comics, my dad would make me clean his office and then give me the quarter.

A lot of those items are now on the dollar menu while comics are now four bucks a piece.

Not sure what would upset my stomach more, McD's food or reading a modern superhero comic.

We didn't have a McDonald's in South Jersey when I grew up, but we had this place, a short walk from elementary school. Hamburgers 10 cents, cheeseburgers 15 cents, and milkshakes from dairy made on the premises for 25 cents. It was hard to save money for comics, baseball cards, or bubble gum with those temptations.

Many a birthday party was spent under that green awning.

greenvalley.jpg

greenvalley2.jpg

Where was the original McDonald's before Ray Croc purchased? I know the location was in Southern California.

The business began in 1940, with a restaurant opened by brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald at 1398 North E Street at West 14th Street in San Bernardino, California.

The business began in 1940, with a restaurant opened by brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald at 1398 North E Street at West 14th Street in San Bernardino, California.

I didn't research what the building is currently being used for, but it's apparently no longer a working McDonalds (although there are plenty of McDonalds related items indicating it was the first location).

Here's a Google Maps street view image of it.

First_Mcdonalds.jpg

McDonald's didn't come to Vancouver BC until 1970. I was told the first location was somewhere in east side.

For me, my first allowance was one dollar per week after I did one choice around the family house. That was enough for 3-4 20 center comics and one pop bottle

Actually the very first McDonalds opened in Canada was in Richmond, BC in 1967. This is a city right next door to Vancouver,

I worked at McDonalds years ago as my first job and I remember this bit of local history (I grew up in Vancouver).

I used to go there when I was five or six years old with my little sister who just learned to walk. It's only ten minutes away from my home.

This is a replica of first (chain restuarant) McDonald's in Des Planies near the former location.

McDonalds_Museum_zpsdvjf35rf.jpg

I didn't research what the building is currently being used for, but it's apparently no longer a working McDonalds (although there are plenty of McDonalds related items indicating it was the first location).

Here's a Google Maps street view image of it.

First_Mcdonalds.jpg

I can see Route 66 on the driveway. It is part of historic RT. 66?

McDonalds :cloud9: ....... I remember when a Big Mac was 55 cents. I remember my folks driving all over the Pacific North West trying to find me the Filet O' Fish that was being advertised on TV..... We couldn't even find a McDonalds. We started calling it the " Delay O' Fish" lol ...... I miss the 60's. I used to amaze an old girlfriend's Son and his friends by eating an entire small Mc Donalds burger in one bite ...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u