• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:33 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Was looking up Killing Joke prices today, wow, that book is now bordering 100 in 9.8. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-The-Killing-Joke-nn-May-1988-DC-CGC-9-8/202596454360?epid=85456087&hash=item2f2bb08fd8:g:iDoAAOSwL8xcZHDo

Used to be an easy 200+ book historically. Really no clue why a timeless book like that would drop so significantly in price

Considering the joker movie is loosely based on (ok, very loosely) it, I would think it may rise

On 2/19/2019 at 9:15 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Yeah, no surprise. That sure was a big speculation book. My LCS has a stack that they had squirrelled away/over ordered. Good luck selling them now...

19 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Pretty amazing to see what these Preacher 1 are selling for nowadays. Such a major trainwreck 

yeah, I really enjoy the show (realize I may be in the minority there) but am glad I didn't jump on that train. There's a #1 on the wall at my LCS that has been steadily decreasing in price for some time now.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

yeah, I really enjoy the show (realize I may be in the minority there) but am glad I didn't jump on that train. There's a #1 on the wall at my LCS that has been steadily decreasing in price for some time now.

I whole heatedly agree about the show. I find it more entertaining than Umbrella Academy (actually alot of similarity with those two shows) and I like UA alot. But I think the expectation from Preacher were too high which set the sales on fire actually. If you look at it this way it was almost destined to fail

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

There are still seats left on the Outcast #1 train if you are looking for a place to land.

54 minutes ago, MediumLover said:

Preacher #1 prices below pre-show  level.

I understand the book losing value, but it's been down over 75% at one point.

Can a failed show hurt a book that much ? Am I missing something ?

I’d love to get a good answer since I agree it really doesn’t make senses.  There seems to be some dislike or even hatred for the series for some reason.  It’s like there has been some dark Mark put on this great series and people just shudder when they see copies.

2 hours ago, MediumLover said:

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I’d love to get a good answer since I agree it really doesn’t make senses.  There seems to be some dislike or even hatred for the series for some reason.  It’s like there has been some dark Mark put on this great series and people just shudder when they see copies.

Yea, like completely going 90 degrees on the comic. I can't imagine why it's being received well, ha.

On the high level view it's the same. But, let's get away from that as we know most that watch these shows haven't read comics. We have to assume it was made a show because of the comic. Not because Seth Rogan pitched this garbage -script with a decent budget and and actors that was made a show.

11 hours ago, ygogolak said:
14 hours ago, MediumLover said:

13 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Yea, like completely going 90 degrees on the comic. I can't imagine why it's being received well, ha.

On the high level view it's the same. But, let's get away from that as we know most that watch these shows haven't read comics. We have to assume it was made a show because of the comic. Not because Seth Rogan pitched this garbage --script with a decent budget and and actors that was made a show.

Generally, this kind of major dip in prices is a result of cutting losses on failed speculation.  Similar to the 5 copies of Outcast #1 selling for $0.06 recently, the books have to return to the hands of those who appreciate them before the market can rise... or you need a new round of speculators.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Generally, this kind of major dip in prices is a result of cutting losses on failed speculation.  Similar to the 5 copies of Outcast #1 selling for $0.06 recently, the books have to return to the hands of those who appreciate them before the market can rise... or you need a new round of speculators.

I know the show is not great (I stopped watching after the end of the 1st season) but for a 1st appearance of a book with an ongoing tv show to completely tank in price is just strange in my opinion.  The $1,000 price tag was a bit crazy but the 9.8s have dropped to pre show announcement prices which were 13 years ago.  Books go up and some come down but that is the one book and series that really had me shaking my head.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This makes the most sense to me. Preacher was a well-loved title that has stayed in print for a couple of decades now, and while #1 wasn't hard to find, it was still a good book to have. At the time the show was announced, it felt like the collecting community decided that AMC + cult comic title was going to instantly guarantee another Walking Dead success, which never made sense to me, because the properties are so different. Walking Dead is a never ending zombie movie. That makes sense, is easy to communicate, and is easy to understand why the general public would hop onboard. Preacher is much more convoluted. I love the show (I think the third season was by far the best) but even I would have a hard time selling a "civilian" on it, you know? It was always destined to be a cult hit, and never had a chance at WD style mainstream acceptance. So, when the show was a modest success (it has managed to make it to Season 4, though who knows how much longer it'll last?) but not a monster hit, I think the flippers panicked. 

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I know the show is not great (I stopped watching after the end of the 1st season) but for a 1st appearance of a book with an ongoing tv show to completely tank in price is just strange in my opinion.  The $1,000 price tag was a bit crazy but the 9.8s have dropped to pre show announcement prices which were 13 years ago.  Books go up and some come down but that is the one book and series that really had me shaking my head.

There are many sales recorded for CGC 9.8 Preacher #1 at $150 and below prior to 2014.  The 90-day average right now is $249, so it's still up from the pre-show (pre-rumor) normal.

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There are many sales recorded for CGC 9.8 Preacher #1 at $150 and below prior to 2014.  The 90-day average right now is $249, so it's still up from the pre-show (pre-rumor) normal.

But there was also quite a few $350+ sales from 2008 - 2010.  I agree it is up compared to the 2011 & 2012 period but it just is a crazy book considering the cool cover and the ongoing show.  I don't have any #1s left (they have thankfully been gone for awhile) but its a book I see at shows and shake my head as to the epic rise and crash that occurred.

I'm also a believer that the "total market" for a comic book is an indicator of its overall market health.  Call it the "market cap" or whatever, we can see that CGC 9.8 Preacher #1 was about $150 prior to 2014, and there were 114 of them on the CGC census (pre-2014). That was a total of $17,000.  When CGC 9.8 Preacher #1 for sold over $1,000, it was November 2015 and the CGC 9.8 census number was 307 copies.  That was a jump from $17,000 pre-2014 to over $300,000 in November 2015.  When CGC 9.8 Preacher #1 "maxed out" at $1,339 in May 2016, the CGC 9.8 census number was 364 for a total of $487,000 (briefly, in theory).  Currently, the CGC 9.8 census number is 560 copies and the current 90-day average is $250 for a total of $140,000.  That's a total CGC 9.8 (non-Signature) market that is worth 800% of the pre-2014 amount, even though the individual price for CGC 9.8 Preacher #1 is only up 70% compared to the pre-2014 number.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

But there was also quite a few $350+ sales from 2008 - 2010.  I agree it is up compared to the 2011 & 2012 period but it just is a crazy book considering the cool cover and the ongoing show.  I don't have any #1s left (they have thankfully been gone for awhile) but its a book I see at shows and shake my head as to the epic rise and crash that occurred.

$350 for 2008-2010 when there were about 70 copies on the CGC census would be a total market of $24,000... which fell to about $17,000 at its lowest in the 2013 timeframe.

Its economy 101 really.

The inflated amount of Preacher 1 submissions caused the book to crash once the smoke cleared. In other words the demand was purely spec driven. Once the speculators realized that the book had no real demand, after hundreds of submissions were sent in WHILE it was being speculated, they ditched the book. As a result the market was left with a flood of Preacher 1 supply that no one could use anymore. 

This happens all the time. But never with a book that was so so sooooo far up there in price 

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Its economy 101 really.

The inflated amount of Preacher 1 submissions caused the book to crash once the smoke cleared. In other words the demand was purely spec driven. Once the speculators realized that the book had no real demand, after hundreds of submissions were sent in WHILE it was being speculated, they ditched the book. As a result the market was left with a flood of Preacher 1 supply that no one could use anymore. 

This happens all the time. But never with a book that was so so sooooo far up there in price 

It is simple up and down and it does happen all the time but the down slide is usually due to some reason.  The supply did go up but with 659 copies its not close to the most common CGC 9.8.  The show is successful enough to be gearing up for season 4 and still all books in the series have crashed.  The series is still good and the covers are great.  Being an oddball series the supply of copies are not huge.  I understand a drop when people moved on to the next shiny thing but hot damn this book imploded unlike anything I've seen (and definitely at the scope we saw).  People wanted a hit show and its a modest hit show (4 seasons).  Did nobody actually read the series to see how good it was and all books were simply speculations?