• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Generally, this kind of major dip in prices is a result of cutting losses on failed speculation.  Similar to the 5 copies of Outcast #1 selling for $0.06 recently, the books have to return to the hands of those who appreciate them before the market can rise... or you need a new round of speculators.

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Its economy 101 really.

The inflated amount of Preacher 1 submissions caused the book to crash once the smoke cleared. In other words the demand was purely spec driven. Once the speculators realized that the book had no real demand, after hundreds of submissions were sent in WHILE it was being speculated, they ditched the book. As a result the market was left with a flood of Preacher 1 supply that no one could use anymore. 

This happens all the time. But never with a book that was so so sooooo far up there in price 

I disagree, and Umbrella Academy is my proof!

If the show is good, the demand CAN build. Not that it will, but it can. And of course, there is TWD. I find it odd that UA has increased in price even though all the shows were released at once and Deadly Class, released weekly, has not seen that increase.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

If the show is good, the demand CAN build. Not that it will, but it can. And of course, there is TWD. I find it odd that UA has increased in price even though all the shows were released at once and Deadly Class, released weekly, has not seen that increase.

I think it is simply a matter of UA being a more popular show. Of course this is all anecdotal, but I have several friends and family members coming to me talking about how great Umbrella Academy is, and these are people who aren't interested in comics at all. In fact, most of them probably aren't even aware that UA started as a comic.  Also not saying that these people are going to turn around now and look to buy UA comics, but it just FEELS like UA is having a cultural moment right now, whereas I haven't heard a peep from anyone about Deadly Class. There is SO much content out there right now, it's hard to cut through the noise. But Umbrella Academy seems to have done it.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

There is no proof to a good or bad spec. Things happen. A show/movie can be good and prices wouldnt change dramatically. Actually that happens more often than a failed show/movie.

The reality is that there are not many Walking Dead/Umbrella academy type spikes in price. Actually I cant think of any other than those 2?

Which comic book property shot through the roof when a successful show/movie hit (not before)?

Does that mean there arent ANY good shows/movie other than WD/UA?

Surely there are. 

The only reason why WD and UA are where they are in my opinion is because of the fans. Gerard Way has a cult followers, exactly like Kirkman always had.

In my honest opinion, UA is not better that Preacher. Preacher is a well made show, there are many many similarities between preacher and UA... Captures the same demographics, Anti-establishment, Very young at heart and pro-fem, similar soundtrack, Almost same characters (Cassidy=Klaus)... Heck, even similar villains (the 2 guys that were trying to capture preacher and had that briefcase, very similar to chacha and hazel in UA)

I dont think preacher is a bad show, certainly not a flop

It was just expectation and over the top speculation. REAL demand was never there for the book. 

Edited by Aweandlorder

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

It is simple up and down and it does happen all the time but the down slide is usually due to some reason.  The supply did go up but with 659 copies its not close to the most common CGC 9.8.  The show is successful enough to be gearing up for season 4 and still all books in the series have crashed.  The series is still good and the covers are great.  Being an oddball series the supply of copies are not huge.  I understand a drop when people moved on to the next shiny thing but hot damn this book imploded unlike anything I've seen (and definitely at the scope we saw).  People wanted a hit show and its a modest hit show (4 seasons).  Did nobody actually read the series to see how good it was and all books were simply speculations?

This show, in the mind of speculators, was the next walking dead. Thats how everyone in the market felt. 

It was the perfect storm. A niche market with Vertigo readers, a presumed low supply of 9.8s, same network as WD... this WILL BE the next walking dead!!!

But the fans werent there because the only fans that existed prior to the show were the speculators. 

And they were left with themselves and their stock

On 3/11/2019 at 11:57 AM, F For Fake said:
On 3/10/2019 at 4:01 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Pretty amazing to see what these Preacher 1 are selling for nowadays. Such a major trainwreck 

yeah, I really enjoy the show (realize I may be in the minority there) but am glad I didn't jump on that train. There's a #1 on the wall at my LCS that has been steadily decreasing in price for some time now.

I jumped on and off that train several times before it even left the Station! :whistle: :banana:

23 hours ago, ygogolak said:

21 hours ago, divad said:

IF? The show is good, in fact darn good. I've enjoyed 6 episodes already. :bigsmile:

The "if" was not in relation any one show. It was a statement as to if a show is good or bad that can change the values after.

20 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Wait, he "nailed" 20 9.8s and offering them for no profit? How is that smart?

Well who knows how many he subbed but I’m saying that he was smart enough to pick out the 9.8s