• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, cbalroman said:

We dont know that he didn’t make money while they were hot.  Guy could have graded 100 of them, sold 80 while profit margin was high, and sat on these 20.

Of course he did. That was my point. 

Were expected to believe when he says "freshly graded"? These have to be overstocks, he's either smart by liquidating now after he made his money years ago, or he's really really dumb for sending these all in (as the listing suggests) now and clearing them for no profit 

15 minutes ago, divad said:

Fixed costs. :sumo:

We don't know nothing about his expenses. For all I know he may have even fast track them. So let's just assume the obvious. It cost him approx 20 per book and IF he actually sells at his asking price he makes around 390.

so if he loses 10 on 20 9.8 it means one thing and one thing only

that book is garbage

5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

so if he loses 10 on 20 9.8 it means one thing and one thing only

that book is garbage

Or he's an insufficiently_thoughtful_person . . . ^^

On 3/16/2019 at 11:50 PM, cbalroman said:

We dont know that he didn’t make money while they were hot.  Guy could have graded 100 of them, sold 80 while profit margin was high, and sat on these 20.

Oh no, there's more where that came from, ha.

Lot 1 - 20

Lot 2 - 20

Lot 3 - 30

What's odd this they have 44 listings, but only two types of products. Jeff Koons items and Outcast items.

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Lot 1 - 20

Lot 2 - 20

Lot 3 - 30

What's odd this they have 44 listings, but only two types of products. Jeff Koons items and Outcast items.

YIKES! I take back my earlier comment.

20 9.8 skybounds, he likely lost a good chuck of change on those skybound sets unless he got a golden ticket.

With all the talk of Outcast 1 being a complete ice cube i just sold my last copy for $9 plus shipping.  No were near the $20 it use to go for but since I think I only had a couple bucks in each copy I did very well on that book.  Preacher books on the other hand were mostly losers since I got on the bandwagon late and probably broke even with all the losses in the later stage.  i hate even talking about Preacher since the books seemed like a gimmie.

"Its economy 101 really.

The inflated amount of Preacher 1 submissions caused the book to crash once the smoke cleared. In other words the demand was purely spec driven. Once the speculators realized that the book had no real demand, after hundreds of submissions were sent in WHILE it was being speculated, they ditched the book. As a result the market was left with a flood of Preacher 1 supply that no one could use anymore. 

This happens all the time. But never with a book that was so so sooooo far up there in price"

It is a relatively common 1990s book (yes, I know, NOT a glut book, but we see plenty of copies around) that sells for $2225-250 or so in 9.8, nice raw copies in the $60-$90 range. I wouldn't say "no demand." It just got a bit crazy once upon a time.

'

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, ygogolak said:

Lot 1 - 20

Lot 2 - 20

Lot 3 - 30

He's clearly making it up on volume? Or CGC forgot to charge him for slabbing? Jeez louise, I think I bought a couple of these recently for $2 each just for fun. Oh well.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:37 PM, the blob said:

"Its economy 101 really.

The inflated amount of Preacher 1 submissions caused the book to crash once the smoke cleared. In other words the demand was purely spec driven. Once the speculators realized that the book had no real demand, after hundreds of submissions were sent in WHILE it was being speculated, they ditched the book. As a result the market was left with a flood of Preacher 1 supply that no one could use anymore. 

This happens all the time. But never with a book that was so so sooooo far up there in price"

It is a relatively common 1990s book (yes, I know, NOT a glut book, but we see plenty of copies around) that sells for $2225-250 or so in 9.8, nice raw copies in the $60-$90 range. I wouldn't say "no demand." It just got a bit crazy once upon a time.

'

I will reiterate this, the Preacher show not being well received by the comic community is what caused the crash.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I will reiterate this, the Preacher show not being well received by the comic community is what caused the crash.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Yet it got renewed for a 4th season. Go figure. I will admit, I did not read the comic. It is a show my wife is cool with, so we watch it. I don't think the 25,000 or so fans of the comic make or break the ratings, but yeah, they do inspire 9.8 prices

23 hours ago, the blob said:

Yet it got renewed for a 4th season. Go figure. I will admit, I did not read the comic. It is a show my wife is cool with, so we watch it. I don't think the 25,000 or so fans of the comic make or break the ratings, but yeah, they do inspire 9.8 prices

I agree with this. Further I will say that the number of TRUE Preacher fans didn't justify the creation of this show. However good it was done. 

The "1,000 fan theory" didn't apply to this property. And that's in essence what's happening with (among many creative branches) most comic book properties nowadays. 

I'm willing to bet that many comic collectors/readers are like you and me when it comes to Preacher. We never read the book but heard good things. That doesn't make us fans. And according to the (lack of) demand there is out there for Preacher, it looks like there aren't many fans out there for this property. 

I think 25,000 fans for this property is a far faaaar fetched number. More like 200-500 fans at best. 

The creative team that speculated on beingjng this show to life failed with their prediction

Weren't the print runs around 50-75K for most of the preacher books? I figured 1/3 - 1/2 actually read them. I know my older brother read that title voraciously and then gave me all his copies, which, of course, I sold immediately upon the news of the show coming.

50 minutes ago, the blob said:

Weren't the print runs around 50-75K for most of the preacher books? I figured 1/3 - 1/2 actually read them. I know my older brother read that title voraciously and then gave me all his copies, which, of course, I sold immediately upon the news of the show coming.

Readers arent fans. Thats the difference between a successful property and just a random property.

Preacher doesnt have fans like walking dead did PRIOR to the movie. Or like TMNT, or like Umbrella academy. 

The 1,000 fan rule in essence talks about a core base of fans who will do anything for the artist. Not just buy their product. Talk about their product, promote it to their peers. Just like true fans do.

This is how Comic book properties became the standard in Hollywood. Because we, the fans of the medium as a whole, made it the standard for the general public. 

I believe that properties like ElfQuest, Usagi, alot of Valiant stuff, Spawn etc have a better chance of making it if budgeted properly. 

Is there an active Preacher support group? I dont even know if we have an appreciation thread for Preacher on these boards.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Readers arent fans. Thats the difference between a successful property and just a random property.

Preacher doesnt have fans like walking dead did PRIOR to the movie. Or like TMNT, or like Umbrella academy. 

The 1,000 fan rule in essence talks about a core base of fans who will do anything for the artist. Not just buy their product. Talk about their product, promote it to their peers. Just like true fans do.

This is how Comic book properties became the standard in Hollywood. Because we, the fans of the medium as a whole, made it the standard for the general public. 

I believe that properties like ElfQuest, Usagi, alot of Valiant stuff, Spawn etc have a better chance of making it if budgeted properly. 

Is there an active Preacher support group? I dont even know if we have an appreciation thread for Preacher on these boards.

Well, the comic was gone for 15 or whatever years. I am assuming the folks who enjoyed reading it are mostly still alive.  I think if you regularly read a comic there is a decent shot you would check out the show, even 15 years later. But at the end of the day those 15-35,000 people really don't matter much for ratings. As for whether we had a thread here, there is one with 475 posts, but folks seem to have lost interest by mid-2018, so comic nerds clearly weren't the force behind a season 4 getting ordered.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I think if you regularly read a comic there is a decent shot you would check out the show, even 15 years later.

Which explains why the show still runs but no one really bothers with the book other than the fans. Which are one step closer to non existent 15 years later

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Which explains why the show still runs but no one really bothers with the book other than the fans. Which are one step closer to non existent 15 years later

A real shame, because it truly is one the best comic book series of all time.