• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

Some of those are not #1, they are the hard cover reprint collection. One #1 got a kind of lousy price, but the seller gave no grade, no back cover scan, and no description whatsoever. The front cover looked good, but it could have a big coffee cup stain on the back. With that level of uncreataintly, $35 is fair.

Seems like it is still a $60-90 book in sub-slab worthy high grades. And the sequel will probably kick things back up.

I can't believe I fished a nice copy out of a dollar box, probably in 2010 or 2011.

Some of those are not #1, they are the hard cover reprint collection. One #1 got a kind of lousy price, but the seller gave no grade, no back cover scan, and no description whatsoever. The front cover looked good, but it could have a big coffee cup stain on the back. With that level of uncreataintly, $35 is fair.

Seems like it is still a $60-90 book in sub-slab worthy high grades. And the sequel will probably kick things back up.

I can't believe I fished a nice copy out of a dollar box, probably in 2010 or 2011.

Are you referring to the GOTG links posted? They are all the #1 comic book.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9742304#Post9742304

I was looking at some of the krap on the top of the page, which includes the hard cover. Yeah, raws selling for $72-$99 and the oddball $35 sale with no grade/description/back cover. I'd say it's still a strong book. Pretty sure I sold a copy here for like $85 when things were really popping for GOTG.

Uncreataintly is my new word of the day.

So GOTG is pretty cold right now.can't resist picking up some of them like 1 and 25 and the variants.they're at least half of what they used to be,speaking all raw and nm-ish.of what I initially paid on some copies anyway.bought an entire run the other day for $40. Writing on the wall? Thought vol2 was a decent watch.looks like it had impact.

Any thing else hit hard lately?

12 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Preacher is ice cold even with #1 and #13 which always did well.

Show is horrible compared to the comic, IMO.

I did have a friend who doesn't read comics tell me that they really liked it. So, there may be hope for it staying on air, but I haven't heard anyone that's read the comic say they liked it really.

6 minutes ago, cortown71 said:

That's funny about preacher.I like the show and never read the comic.it spurred me on to check out the comic and I find myself struggling to get into it.I've read the first 17 or so.don't like the art I guess.

Don't like the art?! Are you more of a Jeff Lemire fan?

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Show is horrible compared to the comic, IMO.

I did have a friend who doesn't read comics tell me that they really liked it. So, there may be hope for it staying on air, but I haven't heard anyone that's read the comic say they liked it really.

The comic has a deeper message behind all of the schlock, no argument. The first season of the show struggled along, but the second season was very good in my opinion. Looking forward to the third season. I find most television to be garbage honestly, so anything I can watch a whole season of is something I hope continues to get renewed. Ratings were down on the second season though.

I read and loved Preacher, and while I've kind of fallen behind on the show, I thought it was good enough. Definitely different, but I don't think there could have been any realistic expectations of it being really close to the book. Preacher #1 was always a comic I had wanted, and I'm glad that the show coming out pushed me to finally get a copy... also glad that I didn't horribly overpay for my copy.

I also know a few people who aren't comic readers at all who like the show, and their opinions on art I usually hold in high regard. It's not having the casual crossover appeal with Walking Dead fans that I think they had hoped for, but that's totally understandable. 

I loved Preacher as it was being released, but haven't reread it since it originally concluded. So, I'm not sure if it holds up, but I have fond memories for sure.

The Missus and I are enjoying the show as well. It's obviously not 100% (or even 75%) faithful to the original story, but it gets the flavor right. We get a kick out of it, for what it is.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Don't like the art?! Are you more of a Jeff Lemire fan?

The only thing i have written by lemire is the current Thanos series.I haven't been judgemental about it because thanos iis my top favorite villain.but...truly i find it mediocre at best.and the art has been taking a steady decline since it started.

Now the art thing with preacher...yes the covers are great,but the interiors? Kinda like to today's stuff,great covers but romper room exploded inside.but not to that degree in preacher.I think it could of been a little more polished up instead of looking so sketchy.

As far as moderns I do like,I went all in on all the abbnett and lanning cosmic stuff.covers matched interiors on most of annihilation/nova and conquest.guardians started slipping later.and the last few series have been decent enough.I really liked what looked like painted interiors on all new gotg #3( I think?)

13 minutes ago, cortown71 said:

The only thing i have written by lemire is the current Thanos series.I haven't been judgemental about it because thanos iis my top favorite villain.but...truly i find it mediocre at best.and the art has been taking a steady decline since it started.

Now the art thing with preacher...yes the covers are great,but the interiors? Kinda like to today's stuff,great covers but romper room exploded inside.but not to that degree in preacher.I think it could of been a little more polished up instead of looking so sketchy.

As far as moderns I do like,I went all in on all the abbnett and lanning cosmic stuff.covers matched interiors on most of annihilation/nova and conquest.guardians started slipping later.and the last few series have been decent enough.I really liked what looked like painted interiors on all new gotg #3( I think?)

It isn't too unusual for people to dislike Dillon's work. I happen to like it in Preacher, but have been put off by his work on some other titles (Punisher most recently comes to mind). Overall, I still fall on the fan side, I'm sorry we won't see anymore Steve Dillon comic books - when all of the various pieces of a comic book were hitting on all cylinders, he produced some classic stuff.

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

It isn't too unusual for people to dislike Dillon's work. I happen to like it in Preacher, but have been put off by his work on some other titles (Punisher most recently comes to mind). Overall, I still fall on the fan side, I'm sorry we won't see anymore Steve Dillon comic books - when all of the various pieces of a comic book were hitting on all cylinders, he produced some classic stuff.

Never seen Dillon stuff I didn't enjoy the hell out of. Visually, at least.