• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2017 at 1:40 PM, cortown71 said:

That's funny about preacher.I like the show and never read the comic.it spurred me on to check out the comic and I find myself struggling to get into it.I've read the first 17 or so.don't like the art I guess.

I like the show.  My wife is into it. Neither of us read the comics.

But can anyone theorize why Preacher is so cold?  The covers are still killer and the show is still ongoing and a success.  #1 is still a great cover and is not common in CGC 9.8 (less then 500 copies even though price exploded).  I realize the market has moved on to other hot books but I really can't see why Preacher is as cold as it is.

41 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

But can anyone theorize why Preacher is so cold?  The covers are still killer and the show is still ongoing and a success.  #1 is still a great cover and is not common in CGC 9.8 (less then 500 copies even though price exploded).  I realize the market has moved on to other hot books but I really can't see why Preacher is as cold as it is.

Well, this is all just armchair psychology, but I think a lot of the early pumpers were expecting Walking Dead style hype for the series, and prices to follow. Adult-aimed AMC TV show with big talent based on a cutting edge comic, the stars seemed to align. But Walking Dead turned out to be an honest to God pop culture phenomenon, whereas Preacher's reception has been lukewarm to positive, at best. I don't know the ratings, but I'm confident they're not pulling in WD numbers. I think Preacher was a great comic, and I think it's a very fun show, but it was never going to be Walking Dead. So I think you see folks selling at a loss right now, rather than holding on for long term. 

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

IMO buying a CGC 9.8 copy for $300 is a  good  long term investment (5 years out).  Like someone mentioned what you are seeing right now is the flippers all dumping their product at the same time.  I have a CGC 9.8 copy and  I'm definitely keeping it even if it drops below $200.  

47 minutes ago, NamesJay said:

I think the Image 25th Anniversary variants are pretty cold. 9.8's selling for less than the cost to slab the book.

I don't think many thought the standard issues would be worth much. Negan and virgins only. Only seen a redneck virgin sell so far ($270).

On 10/9/2017 at 6:51 AM, Aweandlorder said:

And assuming he had a 20% discount this weekend on eBay the buyer made out like a bandit 

Off topic but is there a post where people put up the latest eBay coupons? I totally missed the 20% this weekend.

Edited by Drew Stair

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, F For Fake said:

Well, this is all just armchair psychology, but I think a lot of the early pumpers were expecting Walking Dead style hype for the series, and prices to follow. Adult-aimed AMC TV show with big talent based on a cutting edge comic, the stars seemed to align. But Walking Dead turned out to be an honest to God pop culture phenomenon, whereas Preacher's reception has been lukewarm to positive, at best. I don't know the ratings, but I'm confident they're not pulling in WD numbers. I think Preacher was a great comic, and I think it's a very fun show, but it was never going to be Walking Dead. So I think you see folks selling at a loss right now, rather than holding on for long term. 

I agree. Some I bet are really worried because they pumped a lot of money in those books. Season 2 was better, but they lost a lot of people with Season 1.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, SquareChaos said:
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:31 PM, cortown71 said:

The only thing i have written by lemire is the current Thanos series.I haven't been judgemental about it because thanos iis my top favorite villain.but...truly i find it mediocre at best.and the art has been taking a steady decline since it started.

Now the art thing with preacher...yes the covers are great,but the interiors? Kinda like to today's stuff,great covers but romper room exploded inside.but not to that degree in preacher.I think it could of been a little more polished up instead of looking so sketchy.

As far as moderns I do like,I went all in on all the abbnett and lanning cosmic stuff.covers matched interiors on most of annihilation/nova and conquest.guardians started slipping later.and the last few series have been decent enough.I really liked what looked like painted interiors on all new gotg #3( I think?)

It isn't too unusual for people to dislike Dillon's work. I happen to like it in Preacher, but have been put off by his work on some other titles (Punisher most recently comes to mind). Overall, I still fall on the fan side, I'm sorry we won't see anymore Steve Dillon comic books - when all of the various pieces of a comic book were hitting on all cylinders, he produced some classic stuff.

I actually like the art, but I never got into the comic. Not saying isn't genius, but when you grow up die hard super hero books like this have to be outstanding from the get go to get me out of my comfort zone. 

1 hour ago, ALM3 said:

FYI that was my sale.  Buyer never paid. Relisted.   See how it goes...

Really, really need the money?  Auctions of cold books is a receipt for disaster.