• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2017 at 8:33 PM, NamesJay said:

I think the Image 25th Anniversary variants are pretty cold. 9.8's selling for less than the cost to slab the book.

Which is sad because I still have a few that I’m trying to get rid of that I don’t collect. Anyone interested? Let me know. If not...guess I got to keep them.

14 hours ago, darkstar said:

Batman #1 and Suicide Squad #1 from the New 52. I remember reading advice that buying 9.8 copies of Suicide Squad #1 for $350 was a good buy! LMAO.

Yea - pretty much anything from the New 52 runs has plummeted this year.  I've got a nice raw Suicide Squad 1 (9.6ish) and it's been sitting all year at a fair price.  Thankfully I sold off my graded copies awhile ago before the downturn. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:39 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

What has happened to Here's Negan Blind Box? Once a $500 raw book, it's now $200 (and not even that on the boards). Surely there are more than 500 (is that a legit number) hardcore WD fans! 

Kind of seems like a gimmick that only made the first sellers any money.  Once I saw the boxes start getting opened up I was glad I avoided the whole thing.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Kind of seems like a gimmick that only made the first sellers any money.  Once I saw the boxes start getting opened up I was glad I avoided the whole thing.

I recently bought one from a guy I told to sell it for $500 when it first came out. He said he’d keep it. I have him $120 for it last week and sold it on the boards for $180. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

Todd The Ugliest Kid... This book is dead dead deaaaaaaad. I sniped at 12.00 and dont regret not winning these 3 copies:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Copies-TODD-1-The-Ugliest-Kid-On-Earth-Image-Comic-Book-RARE-MOVIE-COMING/322898440971?hash=item4b2e3f330b:g:SO8AAOSwUYNZ~li7

However I did snipe THIS and happy I got it at this price

Even tho both books belong in this thread, I think that 100 Bullets is a great time to buy as prices are as low as 25.00 now

Yea, Todd was great. Definitely miss reading that one.

26 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Todd The Ugliest Kid... This book is dead dead deaaaaaaad. I sniped at 12.00 and dont regret not winning these 3 copies:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Copies-TODD-1-The-Ugliest-Kid-On-Earth-Image-Comic-Book-RARE-MOVIE-COMING/322898440971?hash=item4b2e3f330b:g:SO8AAOSwUYNZ~li7

However I did snipe THIS and happy I got it at this price

Even tho both books belong in this thread, I think that 100 Bullets is a great time to buy as prices are as low as 25.00 now

You missed this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-18-DECOMIXADO-LA-MOLE-COLOR-VAR-NM-/182919453136?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=n0QgrMYThOxBnSlL8nFHNxHIg2w%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Or did you...hm

Edited by ygogolak

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I did :ohnoez:

Didnt really know about it :boo:

16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Todd was such a great success on these Boards. Some are still sore over this including me.
We put a lot of time into here and Facebook for Ken. Last time I have championed a book.

I have no regrets about this book ( and I still have 2 full runs ) because I think we got an extra 4 issues out of the series. It was hilarious and Ken was lots of fun too. This is a permanent part of my PC. (thumbsu

PS: Issue #5 is still the funniest comic I've ever read.

Edited by the authority

I wonder when the recent comic price boom will die! Over the past few years comic prices have soared due to movies and tv shows. Comics that once sat in boxes or on walls for years at cheap prices starting selling for 5-10 times what they once sat years at. Seems like all of a sudden everyone bought up every key and first appearance with hopes that it becomes a hot investment book. This has to change, I mean there really can't be that many new collectors that started collecting that drove all these prices up so high. It actually chased me from collecting. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much more for books that were always easily available and so much cheaper. The book didn't improve and they certainly aren't scarce, hard to believe that supply and demand changed the price so much. I assume it was more people buying up copies with hopes of investment.

Edited by kidcolt

Comics are following the pattern that other collectible hobbies already have. The keys/1st apps/classic covers will continue to appreciate in value, while the common issues will diminish in value.

FWIW, I talked with one LCS owner on the weekend who commented on what a waste it is for stores to order big on shelf copies since you will inevitably get customers bringing them in 6 - 12 months later for store credit.

8 hours ago, kidcolt said:

I wonder when the recent comic price boom will die! Over the past few years comic prices have soared due to movies and tv shows. Comics that once sat in boxes or on walls for years at cheap prices starting selling for 5-10 times what they once sat years at. Seems like all of a sudden everyone bought up every key and first appearance with hopes that it becomes a hot investment book. This has to change, I mean there really can't be that many new collectors that started collecting that drove all these prices up so high. It actually chased me from collecting. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much more for books that were always easily available and so much cheaper. The book didn't improve and they certainly aren't scarce, hard to believe that supply and demand changed the price so much. I assume it was more people buying up copies with hopes of investment.

I don't think its new collectors, I think its old collectors that stopped collecting and got burned in the 90's.  I think they love speculating on comics and with the internet and a lot more knowledge of rarity and keyness,  I think they are back for good.  I don't think your going to see huge drops in the real keys,  If anything I think they will keep climbing.  Disney is going to keep Marvel keys relevant for a long time.  I also think that silver age keys in 7.5 and higher are relatively scarce.. Not golden age scarce but scarce enough to not meet full demand. Most are between 50-300 copies at 7.5 or higher..

I agree that the key books will hold value but I don't see all these minor and obscure 1st appearance comics holding value. There is way too many of them printed for the supply and demand to hold up. Even keys like the first DeadPool, there must be a couple hundred thousand of them printed how are they still climbing in value?

15 hours ago, kimik said:

Comics are following the pattern that other collectible hobbies already have. The keys/1st apps/classic covers will continue to appreciate in value, while the common issues will diminish in value.

FWIW, I talked with one LCS owner on the weekend who commented on what a waste it is for stores to order big on shelf copies since you will inevitably get customers bringing them in 6 - 12 months later for store credit.

So a store sells at full price then gets them back for pennies on the dollar only to resell it? Yea, what a waste.

3 hours ago, kidcolt said:

I agree that the key books will hold value but I don't see all these minor and obscure 1st appearance comics holding value. There is way too many of them printed for the supply and demand to hold up. Even keys like the first DeadPool, there must be a couple hundred thousand of them printed how are they still climbing in value?

They don't appear to be going up and compared to 2015 they have dropped in price.  You can still get a nice looking NM 98 for $200 - $250 which although not cheap is still affordable to the casual fan.  Minor keys will do ok (especially for characters like Deadpool) since they keys may be inflated but they are not JIM 83 or AF 15 inflated. 

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

So a store sells at full price then gets them back for pennies on the dollar only to resell it? Yea, what a waste.

His point is that there is no need to buy big on shelf copies since you have a steady stream of file collectors that will turnover their books within a year or two for store credit. For most modern titles, the back issues just sit in the bins since collectors will grab the TPB collecting the story arc instead (or Marvel/DC kills demand with yet another relaunch lol ). Why pay 40-50% of cover for 20 extra copies that you will not sell of a book and have to store? Instead, buy a couple of extra copies and wait for file customers to bring them back at 10-20% of cover in their annual turnover.