• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

It's time to put Todd the Ugliest Kid On Earth on the cooling / dead as a door nail list though nobody is dropping their slab prices down yet. Raw copies of #1 are way way down to the $10 range.

If you're reading this Ken, it's been 3 years and I have given up on Todd ever coming back. Sorry man

It really sucks too, wish I knew what the problem was.

That was a lot of fun a few years ago with the TPB Lon.

Sure was! (thumbs u

I think Todd is like a great band that split up but one of the members promotes it as if they're still together and working on a new album. Been there

Cooling? How about the Venom #1 Dell'Otto Variant sets? Pre-sales were $375+ and sets now are under $100 bucks. Sure, the price was bound to drop once copies were in hand and then listed on ebay, but a 300-400% drop in a few days to a week or so?

math is hard

Cooling? How about the Venom #1 Dell'Otto Variant sets? Pre-sales were $375+ and sets now are under $100 bucks. Sure, the price was bound to drop once copies were in hand and then listed on ebay, but a 300-400% drop in a few days to a week or so?

math is hard

lol

I'll be the wet blanket and explain, that's a 73.33% drop, not 300-400%.

math is hard

lol

I'll be the wet blanket and explain, that's a 73.33% drop, not 300-400%.

Yeah, I was on the road and thinking/typing fast and totally spaced out and my brain thought of an increase in price and not a decrease. Ha!

There should be a "modern comics that have stood the test of time" thread. There may be 10 books we could all talk about.

So a book that has always sold for as much as it did the day it came out? I don't think that exists.

Or is that a statement of books that have always remained constant or increased? Don't think that exists either.

This is probably as close as you are going to get and it's mainly due to lack of supply vs. demand.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9589044#Post9589044

There should be a "modern comics that have stood the test of time" thread. There may be 10 books we could all talk about.

So a book that has always sold for as much as it did the day it came out? I don't think that exists.

Or is that a statement of books that have always remained constant or increased? Don't think that exists either.

This is probably as close as you are going to get and it's mainly due to lack of supply vs. demand.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9589044#Post9589044

If variants are the only moderns worth talking about then I don't have much confidence in the staying power of any modern books.

As for the original question, I don't know that any moderns have enough age for a test of their staying power. We're getting a sense of which Copper books have remained relevant for 30 years, but this took time.

If variants are the only moderns worth talking about then I don't have much confidence in the staying power of any modern books.

As for the original question, I don't know that any moderns have enough age for a test of their staying power. We're getting a sense of which Copper books have remained relevant for 30 years, but this took time.

Saying that a particular "modern" isn't old enough to demonstrate "staying power" is a bit of a non-sequitir.

And FYI, all of the books in the link above are anywhere from 3+ to 14 years old, a near eternity in the fast moving variant market (hence why they're on the list). (thumbs u

-J.

Walking Dead 1 is a modern that has had over 10 years and still doing well. That is the kind of book that has secured its spot. NYX 3 is also over 10 years. Maybe there are some modern variants that have been around for over 10 years now that have remained consistent (Batman 608 RRP) but I would say that list would be very small.

Nobody ever said they were (shrug)

The Modern market it volatile because of TV / movie options. It's hard to get a sense of something that will last if it is tied to that market.

You're looking for 1st appearances of new major characters most likely. Kamala Khan is probably the best in recent years, but you're looking at 3 different books probably for a first appearance. The Big 2 have done a nice job of muddying the waters with most of their new characters 1st appearances.

Saga is the only one that really comes to mind that hasn't been influenced by TV / movies.

Walking Dead 1 is a modern that has had over 10 years and still doing well. That is the kind of book that has secured its spot. NYX 3 is also over 10 years. Maybe there are some modern variants that have been around for over 10 years now that have remained consistent (Batman 608 RRP) but I would say that list would be very small.

But over the last year NYX 3 is up and down because of movies.

The list of variants, yea, between 10-15. The thread does a good job vetting those.

Edited by ygogolak

What variants are 10 years or older that command top dollar still? I named one and I have a really hard time to think of any others.

Again, this question is a non-sequitir, since the "variants" as we know them from the modern era began, for the most part, with Batman 608RRP, so obviously the others that have demonstrated staying power since then will be newer.

-J.

What variants are 10 years or older that command top dollar still? I named one and I have a really hard time to think of any others.

Again, this question is a non-sequitir, since the "variants" as we know them from the modern era began, for the most part, with Batman 608RRP, so obviously the others that have demonstrated staying power since then will be newer.

-J.

What are "variants as we know them from the modern era," exactly? Limited editions with different cover art? There are many of those from years before Batman 608, including the first RRP, All Star Comics 1.

Wolverine Origins 10 3rd claw variant will be 10 years in 3 months and that has remained consistent.

I bought it and the #2 Canadian Flag, both after the were released, but the year they were released. The Canadian Flag one was actually harder to get originally, and from my experience the more desired book.

Maybe a year later and the 3rd Claw had asserted its dominance, but I never saw it reach the prices they seem to go for now.

I cant say, because it happened when i wasnt paying attention, but there has clearly been a big jump up. Even during Dark Reign, when Daken interest seemed to be at its peak and he was getting his own series, I never saw it get anything close to the current price.

Am I wrong? When did the big bump come?

So a lot of times my idea of book that is cooling down is when I can find a lot of them in my local shops.

Like right now I cant find anymore GCS books anywhere locally. Its a hot book. What I can find which never used to be the case is every key issue and almost every issue of Walking Dead. Keys all the way back to issue 1 and the only keys I can find are 92, 108 and 127 currently all the rest are there and some with multiples.

I am not saying the books are dead just saying I have never seen so many of this book in my local shops every then I have the last 6 months.