• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:23 PM, kidcolt said:

I wonder when the recent comic price boom will die! Over the past few years comic prices have soared due to movies and tv shows. Comics that once sat in boxes or on walls for years at cheap prices starting selling for 5-10 times what they once sat years at. Seems like all of a sudden everyone bought up every key and first appearance with hopes that it becomes a hot investment book. This has to change, I mean there really can't be that many new collectors that started collecting that drove all these prices up so high. It actually chased me from collecting. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much more for books that were always easily available and so much cheaper. The book didn't improve and they certainly aren't scarce, hard to believe that supply and demand changed the price so much. I assume it was more people buying up copies with hopes of investment.

ASM 361 has more graded copies than I imagine people to collect it. Prices for it have already started coming down. Anyone who bought this book to flip over the summer will be hurting IMO.

16 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

ASM 361 has more graded copies than I imagine people to collect it. Prices for it have already started coming down. Anyone who bought this book to flip over the summer will be hurting IMO.

According to GPA it is holding fairly stable overall in 9.8 (last sale $300, 90 day avg. $305, 12 month avg. $307) with prices on 9.6 and 9.4 copies continuing to rise year over year. (shrug)

The outlier high prices were just a one week movie fueled blip. Otherwise, it is following the same trend we have seen with every other Copper/Modern key. 

Edited by kimik

29 minutes ago, kimik said:

According to GPA it is holding fairly stable overall in 9.8 (last sale $300, 90 day avg. $305, 12 month avg. $307) with prices on 9.6 and 9.4 copies continuing to rise year over year. (shrug)

The outlier high prices were just a one week movie fueled blip. Otherwise, it is following the same trend we have seen with every other Copper/Modern key. 

It isn't a good thing for a book's outlook if the book's price has remained unchanged over the past 12 months considering the developments and speculation regarding the character that have happened over the past 12 months.

4 hours ago, darkstar said:

It isn't a good thing for a book's outlook if the book's price has remained unchanged over the past 12 months considering the developments and speculation regarding the character that have happened over the past 12 months.

The character has been opted as a secondary villain in super-villain movie. I don't think it needed more of a boost than it has received. 

I think this book will grow in value over time regardless of any movie hype tho

10 hours ago, kidcolt said:

I agree that the key books will hold value but I don't see all these minor and obscure 1st appearance comics holding value. There is way too many of them printed for the supply and demand to hold up. Even keys like the first DeadPool, there must be a couple hundred thousand of them printed how are they still climbing in value?

NM98 is as solid an investment as IH181/ASM129 at this point. It is never going away. It will only appreciate through time 

16 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

NM98 is as solid an investment as IH181/ASM129 at this point. It is never going away. It will only appreciate through time 

Do you think this is true in all grades? Would you feel as safe buying three 9.8 NM98's vs an 8.0 IH181 (both would roughly cost $2300) and see the same rate of return on your money spent?

No, I would take the CGC 8.0 IH 181 or CGC 9.4 ASM 129 over three NM 98 CGC 9.8s since I believe they will appreciate faster based on past performance, but NM 98s will slowly climb over time as well. It was only 10 years ago when we were debating how common IH 181 and ASM 129 were and that despite demand the prices were likely tapped out due to the huge supply of both books. lol

3 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Do you think this is true in all grades? Would you feel as safe buying three 9.8 NM98's vs an 8.0 IH181 (both would roughly cost $2300) and see the same rate of return on your money spent?

Absolutely. However I do buy raw NM NM98 on the regular. I get them for a fraction of the price of a 9.8, and most just need a quick press.

However raw IH181 at VF/8.0 do not yield the same return rate once slabbed

On ‎2017‎/‎12‎/‎14 at 5:25 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Adam Hughes variant Harley Quinn 1 new 52 is on a little bit of a slope even in 9.8 now...

Boy that's a mouthful :)

I am ok with this, I would rather keep my copy than sell it.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

I am ok with this, I would rather keep my copy than sell it.

Me too.

I thought about upgrading, I have a 9.4 blue label and I'd be saisfied if it was a 9.6, but every time I think to check it's never available as cheap as it sells for. 

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Mine is a 9.6.

What do you think about other Hughes and cooling off?

Such as the dirty pair #1? Sweet cover, but I can't convince myself...

Also I wonder if the Legion Supergirl is the winner causing others to Cool?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What do you think about other Hughes and cooling off?

Such as the dirty pair #1? Sweet cover, but I can't convince myself...

Also I wonder if the Legion Supergirl is the winner causing others to Cool?

Legion of Superheroes 23 is my favorite Hughes cover. Many others feel the same. I don't think it is the reason for a decline on other books, as there are so many Hughes covers to choose from. I think the decline on value of the Harley Quinn is the book went up in value due to movie speculation, and is now dropping as the movie ( Suicide Squad ) wasn't that good, and subsequent Harley Quinn announced projects have been cancelled.

My Supergirl...:cloud9:

20170827_153610_resized.jpg