• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2019 at 8:30 PM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

A real shame, because it truly is one the best comic book series of all time.

I'm pretty sure there is still a fan base out there. The trades have remained in print all of these years, and have also earned lovely Absolute Editions. Ennis has a following, for sure.

57 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Killing joke is kind of a sad joke right now. My copy is sitting there at a 35 BIN with no takes. There were times when this book would fly for $50. Now not so much

Yea, it's dropped hard due to the massive amounts of 9.8s that have been submitted in the past couple of years. Currently about 2,600 blue 9.8s on the census. January of 2016 there were 1,500.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:54 AM, Aweandlorder said:

Killing joke is kind of a sad joke right now. My copy is sitting there at a 35 BIN with no takes. There were times when this book would fly for $50. Now not so much 

Still seems fairly easy to sell for $40 raw in high grade. There’s an auction going on now with 36 hours left, 20 bids and already up to $40...  many sold in past week went for over $40 with the top end being $76. I don’t know what’s up with the 0.99 listing... but that seems to be an extreme outlier.

If you include variants and recent books I'd think there would be a long list of books that have cooled considerably from the initial price increase.

22 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

If you include variants and recent books I'd think there would be a long list of books that have cooled considerably from the initial price increase.

Absolutely, you could do it every week with the different "flavors". But most don't go from initial price of $500 to $150 in 4 days.

19 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Absolutely, you could do it every week with the different "flavors". But most don't go from initial price of $500 to $150 in 4 days.

That is a bit quick.  I just looked and the Action 1000 Tour Variant that I sold the first couple copies to market for $500 a pop are now down to $200 or so.  Those swings are just too much for my old heart to handle.

You suggesting there was some market manipulation going on with that variant?

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

That is a bit quick.  I just looked and the Action 1000 Tour Variant that I sold the first couple copies to market for $500 a pop are now down to $200 or so.  Those swings are just too much for my old heart to handle.

You suggesting there was some market manipulation going on with that variant?

Not at all. Marvel hurt their fans, on purpose. It was advertised as being given away at the D23 event this past weekend at a panel. So, it appeared it would be very limited to only those copies. Instead they also sent out one copy to most Diamond retailers who received them unannounced to them yesterday and then a market flood happened, dropping the price.

54 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Marvel hurt their fans, on purpose. It was advertised as being given away at the D23 event this past weekend at a panel. So, it appeared it would be very limited to only those copies.

So you're saying it was explicitly advertised as an event exclusive? Otherwise, what are you talking about?

It should always be assumed that the publisher will print and distribute whatever they want, however they want. Criticism is only warranted when they do something other than what they explicitly claimed.

21 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

So you're saying it was explicitly advertised as an event exclusive? Otherwise, what are you talking about?

It should always be assumed that the publisher will print and distribute whatever they want, however they want. Criticism is only warranted when they do something other than what they explicitly claimed.

It was advertised as being available at D23, yes.
Drawn by legendary artist Humberto Ramos with colours by Edgar Delgado, this variant of Marvel Comics #1000 will be given away at D23 Expo 2019 to attendees at the MARVEL COMICS: Marvel 80thAnniversary panel on Saturday, August 24, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. PT at Stage 28, where Marvel Editor-in-Chief C.B. Cebulski and Executive Editor Tom Brevoort will take fans through the amazing, incredible, and uncanny history of Marvel Comics, looking back at the history of the Marvel Universe and honoring the iconic characters and timeless stories that have inspired fans all around the world.

Marvel did not however let retailers know it was being sent to them. It was listed on shop invoices as "secret variant". If shops would have known they could have sold them earlier and helped ease the supply and demand of the comic.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's sad

Alot of Carol Danvers seems to be cooling off 

I dont even want to admit to how much I paid for the xmen issue she turns into binary

I got my 9.8 copy from Sarasota the day the movie came out. I knew I had to sell it quickly. Listed it the night of the premiere for 450 and sold the next morning 

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

I got my 9.8 copy from Sarasota the day the movie came out. I knew I had to sell it quickly. Listed it the night of the premiere for 450 and sold the next morning 

That's the thing about this business

Knowing when to sell

When to buy

And having the fortitude to pull the trigger.

I've watched a few books pass me by

NM 98 9.8 $825 Canadian

Thanos 13 9.8 signed by Cates and the artist $300

I thought they were both good deals, but most likely at the ceiling of value and I passed on them.

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's the thing about this business

Knowing when to sell

When to buy

And having the fortitude to pull the trigger.

I've watched a few books pass me by

NM 98 9.8 $825 Canadian

Thanos 13 9.8 signed by Cates and the artist $300

I thought they were both good deals, but most likely at the ceiling of value and I passed on them.

I find its always better to grab the profits when they are there rather then exactly time the market.  You do miss out of some extra bump up in price (ie The Boys 1 CGC 9.8 seems to be rising even further and I sold mine for about $275) but the number of drops you can avoid is well worth it.  Of course all of these examples involve you buying before the hype or right when it gets announced and not being the last one holding the hot potato.