• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

Been actively collecting and actually reading since 1985. Spending my lunch money at the local cigarette store to buy my 65 cent Marvels.

Now as a more mature collector? I value rarity...and good art.

I doubt "dooped" is the reality here.

BUT

Your reality is exactly that...your own.

You can live in any fantasy you wish and deny anything you choose.

As you are demonstrating. Your pointing to motor boat and acting as if it can turn the Titanic. [/quote

Sir...are you on drugs? ]

Been actively collecting and actually reading since 1985. Spending my lunch money at the local cigarette store to buy my 65 cent Marvels.

BUT

As you are demonstrating. Your pointing to motor boat and acting as if it can turn the Titanic. [/quote

lol

BUT

lol

I'm glad we can get a laugh this morning. I needed to smile today.

In all seriousness...thanks for the feedback. Your comment really had my gears going.

BUT

lol

I'm glad we can get a laugh this morning. I needed to smile today.

In all seriousness...thanks for the feedback. Your comment really had my gears going.

I certainly don't want to contribute any negatives to your day. Hope you have a great one. (thumbs u

Later printings being more valuable is not a new concept.

If you want to equate it to anything it would be the abundance of variants vs. their regular cover counterparts. The variants that have done well have better cover art and are a lot harder to find. There might be one cover a month that meets these requirements. This can be the best of both worlds for collectors.

The second and later printings that have done well, in most cases, also posses these qualities.

Modern collectors value rarity and cover art.

A review of this thread will prove that it's not something new and that collectors do hold value in these qualities.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9303163#Post9303163

One book on the list is over 10 years old. Not a long track record by any means. Modern collectors collect all kinds of different things but stories are the glue that make them last.

"Long" is a relative term. Is it as old as Bronze or Copper? No, but there is a different market for different era's of books. To just shrug Moderns aside due to age is shortsighted.

If you want to equate it to anything it would be the abundance of variants vs. their regular cover counterparts. The variants that have done well have better cover art and are a lot harder to find. There might be one cover a month that meets these requirements. This can be the best of both worlds for collectors.

The second and later printings that have done well, in most cases, also posses these qualities.

A review of this thread will prove that it's not something new and that collectors do hold value in these qualities.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9303163#Post9303163

One book on the list is over 10 years old. Not a long track record by any means. Modern collectors collect all kinds of different things but stories are the glue that make them last.

"Long" is a relative term. Is it as old as Bronze or Copper? No, but there is a different market for different era's of books. To just shrug Moderns aside due to age is shortsighted.

This sums it up pretty well. Totaly different market.

People do not read anymore and if print numbers were as high as they were in the bronze and copper? Moderns would be worthless.

That's why I consider rarity now. It keeps collecting alive for me. I've evolved with the times and I'm OK with it.

Don't get me wrong...I miss the good ol days!

I AM here to add negatives to your day....

I kid :roflmao:

This sums it up pretty well. Totaly different market.

People do not read anymore and if print numbers were as high as they were in the bronze and copper? Moderns would be worthless.

That's why I consider rarity now. It keeps collecting alive for me. I've evolved with the times and I'm OK with it.

Don't get me wrong...I miss the good ol days!

I still read a lot of books though way fewer of the big 2 than what I once did. It feel like we're having another good old days in storytelling and art, especially with companies like Image and Dark Horse.

Do you guys think they will quit selling comic stories and maybe just go to art prints some day soon ? This isn't a rhetorical question. I'm truly curious why if people are collecting covers as art, why put a story between the pages ?

Really cant believe that I sold 3 of these for 150.00/each in less than 2 days when they heated up a few months ago

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAN-THE-MAN-OF-STEEL-18-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-1ST-FULL-APP-OF-DOOMSDAY-/322350367932?hash=item4b0d9444bc:g:p7UAAOSwj85YRbT~

Wow ! I'm telling you, best month I can remember from a buying perspective. What was that book bringing before the movie hype ? That seems pretty cheap even for a down period imo.

Really cant believe that I sold 3 of these for 150.00/each in less than 2 days when they heated up a few months ago

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAN-THE-MAN-OF-STEEL-18-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-1ST-FULL-APP-OF-DOOMSDAY-/322350367932?hash=item4b0d9444bc:g:p7UAAOSwj85YRbT~

Wow ! I'm telling you, best month I can remember from a buying perspective. What was that book bringing before the movie hype ? That seems pretty cheap even for a down period imo.

You are absolutely right. Best couple of months even.

BUT

If this is the beginning of some sort of a crash then these are probably bad books to invest in UNLESS you need them for your PC

When they heated up this was anywhere from 100-200, majority being 150

I think typically people buy things for others in December, or have other expenses. Either way they either have less or choose to spend less on themselves. And I think most comics, especially CGC or other key collector comics are things you buy for yourself.

Either way, December is not a good time to run reserveless options on the 'bay

You are absolutely right. Best couple of months even.

BUT

If this is the beginning of some sort of a crash then these are probably bad books to invest in UNLESS you need them for your PC

When they heated up this was anywhere from 100-200, majority being 150

I'm buying raw stuff right now for the PC and I agree with your view on it. Not a necessity by any means. I hope there isn't a crash but more steady and less volatile pricing sounds great to me. (thumbs u

I think typically people buy things for others in December, or have other expenses. Either way they either have less or choose to spend less on themselves. And I think most comics, especially CGC or other key collector comics are things you buy for yourself.

+1

You should qualify that with:

"for books very few people are actively seeking"

If this is the beginning of some sort of a crash

Villain books post movie or show always crash

Auctions for books no longer being actively sought are great buying opportunities and very dangerous for sellers. Better to post a BIN and wait for those few still looking to find your sale.