• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shop orders advice required

59 posts in this topic

Seriously I collected before years ago and my old comics are way better than anything sent to me "New" now.

So how can it be acceptable?

it isn't acceptable.

Can I ask, do you know you want these books you are ordering before they come out?

If so, your LCS can order them for you, then you are not risking damage in shipping ( which is how I think the books are damaged, if they were sent to you in this condition that is appalling.)

Have your LCS order a copy of the monthly previews for you and once you have gone through it you can order whatever you want directly through your LCS.

Seriously I collected before years ago and my old comics are way better than anything sent to me "New" now.

As others have stated - there are other places to order online.

Many of the defects that you are showing - are common right out of the distributor boxes. A lot of the newer materials - crack and craze a lot easier than older books. White spines - are VERY common.

There are LOTS of people here who order from diamond - and they have shared different stories of what the books ( and distributor boxes) can look like when "brand new".

Did you order the "years ago" books through the internet as well? Most places - just pull from the diamond box and ship. Some cater to more discerning collectors.

If you truly want perfection - then order CGC encapsulated 9.9 and 10.0 books - or the more slightly less perfect 9.8.

Best bet to find exactly the RAW condition you want- is a LCS where you can look over every copy and cherry pick the very best. Second best is to find a better online shop. They do exist.

Recommendation no matter what - learn to grade. "NEW" is not a great term. The seller - may not take that much care with the diamond boxes ( and their shipping route to them may be horrible) - so to them ( and diamond) they can accurately consider the book as "new" - even though it is not perfect.

While the seller may need better customer service skills - it is a much better situation for you when you can ask BEFORE YOU ORDER - what the grade rage of their new books will be - and then you have a more even ground for discussion if they fall below a minimum.

Many of the defects that you are showing - are common right out of the distributor boxes. A lot of the newer materials - crack and craze a lot easier than older books. White spines - are VERY common.

There are LOTS of people here who order from diamond - and they have shared different stories of what the books ( and distributor boxes) can look like when "brand new".

Did you order the "years ago" books through the internet as well? Most places - just pull from the diamond box and ship. Some cater to more discerning collectors.

If you truly want perfection - then order CGC encapsulated 9.9 and 10.0 books - or the more slightly less perfect 9.8.

Best bet to find exactly the RAW condition you want- is a LCS where you can look over every copy and cherry pick the very best. Second best is to find a better online shop. They do exist.

Recommendation no matter what - learn to grade. "NEW" is not a great term. The seller - may not take that much care with the diamond boxes ( and their shipping route to them may be horrible) - so to them ( and diamond) they can accurately consider the book as "new" - even though it is not perfect.

While the seller may need better customer service skills - it is a much better situation for you when you can ask BEFORE YOU ORDER - what the grade rage of their new books will be - and then you have a more even ground for discussion if they fall below a minimum.

Well, why did you have to get all logical up in here?!?

Well, why did you have to get all logical up in here?!?

:kidaround:

the engineer in me -

For the OP - probably the best thing - post the name of the store you bought these from - others may want to avoid them or have more experience with the seller to share.

There has been at least one recommendation for an alternate online dealer (that is pretty good) - TFAW is one that I have had success with - but they only guarantee VF or higher (though my experience has been higher).

Midtown - NM guarantee (new releases)

probably many I do not know about......

It's so difficult getting so many varied views.

I cannot get my local store to order because they do not believe in comics for collectors.

Comics are for reading only.

Any that I order they shove in already full boxes. They handle the comics by the spine and this is not me being OCD.

Seriously I pick the best comic off the shelf and because they know me they grab it by the spine and I have to say I have changed my mind. Now I just don't buy from there any more.

So I order on-line and it's not just one shop that has sent these. They are from all different shops. The latest as mentioned told me to never shop with them again and put the phone down on me this is the average response now.

I understand some comics come with the odd rough edge some slight spine roll.

I am not looking for 9.8 - 10.00 all the time however the comics I have received i have asked to be graded and are 7.5 to 8.5 at best should you really be getting that low a grade when it is quite some cost when you buy say 10 at a time.

That's where a lot of this is coming from "oh he just want's perfection 9.8 never going to happen" No I just don't want a 7.5 comic when i have paid full amount for it.

As for the other comic shops when I have time to travel it's a different world every copy on the shelf is nothing like the ones I get on-line there is no need to cherry pick.

I think a lot of people just want to read the comic. However there are collectors out there so why can we not collect the comic too.

I have now had to purchase multiple copies at huge expense just to get a decent copy for my collection.

It is not fun any more I just wanted your opinions but I think I may just call it a day just buy digital comics. I don't want to I love to collect but I can't get any decent comics so it's just not worth it.

Also BTW i can mention some great experiences DCBS sent over a batch in full backs and mylites and all as you would want.

I bought a comic from here and it arrived as described.

So it does happen I won't go on and I don't go around shouting the names of the bad ones as they all are so rude and quite frankly i have been very scared by there responses so would never name names.

So I guess so far I don't think my post has been fully understood but I now realise buying on-line lowers quality considerably and that some think it acceptable but I am also happy to hear that some like me think it unacceptable.

I'm not sure why the OP won't name where he bought the books from. I believe I've asked twice already as well as other posters :shrug: .

Hi just mentioned although you would not believe it the retailers have been very very hostile towards me and have scared me so I am not naming retailers here.

They have a unique way of finding you and sharing your information that is quite frighting.

You may not believe or respect that but it is my truth.

My post was not to name bad retailers but to ask what is acceptable.

No, those books aren't what I'd like in my collection. I order a little at a time until I'm comfortable with the seller's quality and packing. If something looks like , I'll let them know and give them a chance to fix it or I'd just chalk it up as a loss on small dollar books.

Find sellers you trust and stick to those.

I'm not sure why the OP won't name where he bought the books from. I believe I've asked twice already as well as other posters :shrug: .

Hi just mentioned although you would not believe it the retailers have been very very hostile towards me and have scared me so I am not naming retailers here.

They have a unique way of finding you and sharing your information that is quite frighting.

Congrats on your 100th post!!

No, those books aren't what I'd like in my collection. I order a little at a time until I'm comfortable with the seller's quality and packing. If something looks like , I'll let them know and give them a chance to fix it or I'd just chalk it up as a loss on small dollar books.

Find sellers you trust and stick to those.

I found someone I could trust but as they sent me one bad comic and it was "BAD" they refused to accept that it was. Even though I explained I had accepted about 8 others they have banned me from shopping with them due to that one dispute.

I the customer was wrong which again I don't understand how comics are the only place a retailer can say the customer is always wrong.

"Please do not shop with us ever again"

Others are just random so can't stick with any as some come in great condition others awful and you end up with.......

"Please do not shop with us ever again"

I'm really curious if it's "multiple" retailers. I've ordered from Midtown and TFAW and NEVER received books in less than 9.4-9.6 condition. And if I had a problem (like when the mailman bent one shipment), I've never been treated harshly nor could I imagine being treated like that if I did have a problem. It's hard to help when you won't mention specifics. The people you've ordered from may have problems with other boardies who could steer you in the right direction.

Yeah, if all your experiences have been that bad, you've had some bad luck or are buying from crappy dealers. It would be helpful to others if we knew who we shouldn't order from, but it sounds like you are scared of the Russian comic mafia getting you.

Stick to digital. If there's a problem with the condition of your iPad or computer, call Apple or the Geek Squad, respectively.

I'm really curious if it's "multiple" retailers. I've ordered from Midtown and TFAW and NEVER received books in less than 9.4-9.6 condition. And if I had a problem (like when the mailman bent one shipment), I've never been treated harshly nor could I imagine being treated like that if I did have a problem. It's hard to help when you won't mention specifics. The people you've ordered from may have problems with other boardies who could steer you in the right direction.

and BOTH of those sellers have a guaranteed grade for new books

For new books - if you are really collecting - why NOT go for CGC 9.8?

if you are reading the books - they will progress down to 8.0 or worse anyway. Buying multiple copies of the same book just to get a NM- or better seems a waste - when you could get the slab for the "collection" and do something like marvel unlimited for reading.

Yes see I was just asking if the comics are acceptable in this condition but it's turned into this retailer thing.

I am not giving out any traceable information so no names or where I am located in the world etc.

You may think it's funny but if you live on your own and are not that confident etc. Being called a silly little man and having people raise their voices and laugh at you etc etc. it can be frightening.

Some of the times they can get really aggressive.

Again don't expect anyone to respond other than comically to that but it's what happens.

Yes see I was just asking if the comics are acceptable in this condition but it's turned into this retailer thing.

I am not giving out any traceable information so no names or where I am located in the world etc.

You may think it's funny but if you live on your own and are not that confident etc. Being called a silly little man and having people raise their voices and laugh at you etc etc. it can be frightening.

Again don't expect anyone to respond other than comically to that but it's what happens.

Look, you are obviously unhappy with what you received from multiple retailers and that's a problem. I do think you are being a little paranoid to think that there will be some retaliation against you for posting the retailer, so whatevs on that one. Just FYI posting the retailers name on these boards is not going to be enough info for anyone to hunt you down.

The suggestion was only made as a boardie may have some information on them that may be helpful. I get that you are just asking what is and what isn't acceptable and there are going to be varying opinions on that one.

Bottom line is that you have to be happy. Stuff happens, and if you are posting a small sample size from a retailer that overwise sent many books that were acceptable for you then those are exceptions. No one should be abusing you over the phone, that's for sure so it's time to move along to another.

I've seen a couple of posts here from folks telling you where they order from and are happy using. Why not give one of them a shot?

hey Dave

threads here do get a life of their own - but there is a lot of good infor you you in the posts -

The problem is - the original "is this acceptable" question - will get you both yes and no answers without any additional information.

People are not asking you for the online stores name so they can call you out - we would want to see who you are buying from to research them. They may have a stated quality control - or none at all. They may be known "bad" sellers - or they might be stellar and some mistake was made when ordering.

In the end - the only information we have - is pictures of books you are unhappy with and not a lot more........

You have been given 2 great alternatives - regardless of any other information this should SOLVE your issue.