• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problems with Mile High Comics

78 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but the last two months I've sent nearly 10 e-mails to Mile High Comics (MHC) and there has been no response.

I ordered some books April 11, MHC transferred the payment May 6, but no shipping info - just total silence.

Actually I hadn't checked my bank account, so I didn't notice the payment May 6 - and I ordered the same books again :facepalm: Now I'm trying to cancel the latest order, but again - no reply from MHC.

And I'm not alone - here from their Facebook page:

1:

"Placed online order on 3/26, received confirmation 3/26 and 3/30, a processing update at 3/30 and a final processing notice with claim order "should ship within the next few business days." on 4/11. As of 4/22 have not received any response to my email regarding the service on 4/16 nor the order I placed. 4 weeks to process the order, with minimal status, and even that status is vague as to specific commitments.

I'd used MHC service in the past, and been slightly annoyed at the vagueness of the status, but had received orders within ~2 weeks. But this time the processing was ridiculously slow and the communication virtually non-existent.

Very disappointed in the quality and experience, and I'm now hesitant to consider ordering from Mile High no less actually giving them my money. Purchaser beware: if you're patient, and you don't mind receiving little information from MHC, and if needed, no courtesy of a response - MHC may be the service for you. For all others, seeking prompt and courteous service - go elsewhere!"

2:

"Horrible online customer service! Extremely slow to reply to e-mail or FB messages, IF they reply at all. Placed an order and waited a month for it to be shipped, then I was told about their big move. Probably not a good idea to run back to back 50% off sales when you're moving warehouses, or at least tell your customers orders will be delayed. Also did not offer anything to make up for it. This is the second time that I've had problems with an order and it will definitely be the last! I'll be buying from Hill City Comics from now on!"

3:

"I have been a NICE subscriber since 1984, and I think I spend 40.000 $ since then in new and backissue comics. Except for the terrible website and online service, they have been good until a couple of years ago. Now they often make errors in shipments and above all there is no good communication with them. They rarely spend a few seconds replying to yor emails, sometimes to solve a problem it really just takes a few words, not a standard reply.. Backissues are overpriced and I don't recommend to buy them here."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Mile-High-Comics-23781510808/reviews/

I hope the books will arrive one day :wishluck: - And that they've cancelled my latest order :wishluck: - It's truly strange with the lack of replies, MHC has long been one of my favorite comic book shops.

If anyone knows what's going on at MHC, I'd be happy for a reply to this post :foryou:

Does anyone have a really great experience with Mile High Comics? Everything I've heard leads me to believe that they're overpriced, overgrade and extremely slow to ship items. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone. I have no personal experience with their online orders.

They were moving one of the warehouses back in April - (update on page 2 of link)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9311404#Post9311404

So - there shipping was messed up -

might try a phone call - emailing might be lost in a slew of others.....

Thanks, I did read the MHC response on Facebook - posted in April 2016:

"Mile High Comics We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We did have to move 6 million comics and our corporate offices. We tried to do it without any interruptions but that was wishful thinking on our part. The task was herculean. We do apologize. We should be up and running back to normal this coming week. Pb"

According to MHC, all should be fine and back to normal a month ago - but still no response. According to some of their Facebook feedback, the problem may go back at least to December 2015.

And during all of May and now June, still no response.

Maybe I'm just unlucky, I do try to be very polite in my emails.

BTW, I live in Scandinavia, calling is not that easy (I got free phone from my employer, not sure if calling comic shops in the US is part of that deal hm;) - ok, once I did have to call Bechara about some comic art, but that was a life-threatening emergency! :insane: )

To John Campbell:

Never had a problem with MHC before - prices are often reasonable - you have to use their discount code or everything will generally be overpriced. I think Chuck has a lot of fun matching prices to the ever changing discounts... You can find the code in the MHC newsletter:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/newsletter/

Yes, shipping is slow, but inexpensive - and packaging is usually good or even great. The advantage is that you may be able to find all the books you're looking for on the MHC website - and save time and shipping expenses.

Does anyone have a really great experience with Mile High Comics? Everything I've heard leads me to believe that they're overpriced, overgrade and extremely slow to ship items. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone. I have no personal experience with their online orders.

I've never ordered from them, either, but I've heard enough negative stories to keep me away.

once they sent me a wrong comic in my order, sent me the correct one and let me keep the mistake comic they sent me. This was all dollar stuff though. Sometimes, very rarely, Milehigh will have something cheaper than going rate on eBay. I got the entire Fangraphix series for about a dollar an issue, and they were still in the distributor crinkle wrap stuff. On eBay they were going for $5-$10

once they sent me a wrong comic in my order, sent me the correct one and let me keep the mistake comic they sent me. This was all dollar stuff though. Sometimes, very rarely, Milehigh will have something cheaper than going rate on eBay. I got the entire Fangraphix series for about a dollar an issue, and they were still in the distributor crinkle wrap stuff. On eBay they were going for $5-$10

When I go on eBay and look at mile high comics I find stuff like this :eek:

At least you can make an offer right? :roflmao:

Ebay X-Men 266 Mile High Price madness

I've never ordered from them, either, but I've heard enough negative stories to keep me away.

+1, mostly negative reviews come through the boards. There's usually 1 or 2 positive reviews that pop up here (backed with the "where else do you get that selection" defense) but the numerous poor experiences/stories have kept me away.

When I go on eBay and look at mile high comics I find stuff like this :eek:

At least you can make an offer right? :roflmao:

Ebay X-Men 266 Mile High Price madness

I'm not sure I'd buy anything off them priced higher than a couple dollars. They're good for finishing off runs that you've been building with bulk eBay purchases. Need one or two Epics, one or two Akiras, one or two Groos, it all adds up. By the time you need enough to cover free shipping, wait for the 60% codeword and buy them. I wouldn't try to complete a run completely through Milehigh either though. Also doubt they'd even have a full run. For such a huge inventory, they seem to be missing a LOT of stuff.

Consider yourself lucky.

Find another place to shop, like mycomicshop.com

Much better customer service

True, MCS is far superior.

In my opinion, Mile High Comics is the worst in the business - total disregard for their customers. Tomorrow would not be soon enough for them to go out of business.

how does Chuck keep the lights on competing against MCS?

MCS has better customer service, much better prices, and SUBSTANTIALLY better grading practices.

cant underestimate the number of people who just google "comic books" and spend their money with the first result

I had some terrible experiences when Mile High had a store in Garden Grove, Calif. It's a wonder why that store failed. I have never used his website,or buy from him ever again.

I ordered a batch of DC Archive hardcovers during a half-off sale and they were shipped quickly enough. Not a single one of them was still shrink-wrapped (though this wasn't indicated on the site) but they all arrived undamaged and I was happy with the order. I can't think of any reason to order actual comic books from them, however.

My first ever successful mail order transaction was with Chuck in the early-mid 90's. It must have been my 4th attempt at mail order, back when so many places would just take your money and not ship you anything. Turned me off from mail order for a long time, made me miss out on some cool small press stuff because I was afraid they just wouldn't send me anything. My Milehigh order was one of the last times I bought comics as a kid, besides my ASM subscription I got through some school book sale that I kept renewing well into the mid-late 90's.

I too am in Scandinavia, and I too am having trouble getting hold of Mile High Comics these days.

I made an order on 1 May, never received an order confirmation or anything else, never received a reply to my e-mails asking for an order confirmation. No e-mails at all besides Chuck's mailing list updates, actually.

I did notice the charge appearing on my credit card statement, so I figured that it had actually gone through and decided to be patient. Two days ago my order did arrive, but there were some problems with it that I'd like to communicate with them about. So I e-mailed them again, and again have received no reply.

I know that they've had plenty to do this winter and spring with their move, and I know they've had some technical problems afterwards, but this is just getting silly, and my patience is starting to run out. I've never had any real problems with or complaints about Mile High Comics before, and I've happily ordered from them repeatedly over the past few years. Reasonable intrnational shipping and actually fairly reasonable prices when you apply the sales codewords are big plusses.

(Yes, new member. Yes, first post. Yes, signed up because of this thread after googling "mile high comics e-mail problems").

how does Chuck keep the lights on competing against MCS?

MCS has better customer service, much better prices, and SUBSTANTIALLY better grading practices.

Because they have more stock. If you're just looking to buy one book, sure MCS is good. But, in my experiences, MCS only lets you buy 2 copies of a book. Mile High you can get basically as many as you want if you can figure out their glitch.

Also, Mile High usually has better availability and pricing. MCS may have a book you want, but it could be a jacked up price on consignment.

Also, Mile High usually has better availability and pricing. MCS may have a book you want, but it could be a jacked up price on consignment.

Mile High does not generally have better prices on common stuff. I've been putting together VG to F/VF bronze reader runs and MCS. For that stuff, MCS usually has the better prices.

However, I have noticed a recent trend of MCS's prices starting to creep up on this stuff.