• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McHulk Art Day

11 posts in this topic

I really love Mcfarlane's rendition of the hulk. It's unlike any other artist. Wonder what would have happened if Todd stayed with the incredible hulk longer and refined his work. Would he have become as popular as he did with spider-man? Would spawn exist or would we have had a completely different image character instead? Something tells me his art would have been even better in his prime with the hulk but who knows. Great page

I really love Mcfarlane's rendition of the hulk. It's unlike any other artist. Wonder what would have happened if Todd stayed with the incredible hulk longer and refined his work. Would he have become as popular as he did with spider-man? Would spawn exist or would we have had a completely different image character instead? Something tells me his art would have been even better in his prime with the hulk but who knows. Great page

Who knows?

Perhaps there have been a spin-off Hulk series written and drawn by McFarlane?

Spawn would have come to us all the same. It was a created by Todd long before he illustrated Hulk or Spider-Man,

Here is a nice written piece by McFarlane on how he felt about his run on the Hulk series. It's issue 344 which he mentions that he was really able to open up and draw the Hulk the way he wanted to. The original write up is on his Facebook page with the images he references.

https://m.facebook.com/liketoddmcfarlane/posts/781780801866004

I told my editor " The Incredible Hulk should be...um...HULKISH!" It seemed fairly obvious to me.

Years ago when I was working/drawing for Marvel Comics, i was given the job of penciling the INCREDIBLE HULK comic. It was really my first regular gig on a book that my mom had heard of, so she thought I had final made something of myself. But as I began to draw the book over the next few months, I began to be aware of the fact that the writer on the book was, to me anyway, putting way too much story content into his plot outlines he gave me each month.

What this meant, was that to get everything on to the pages, I was constantly drawing pages that had 6 to 8 panels (or more) on most of the interior pages (part of the problem too was that I was still trying to learn things as an artist, so I am sure another skilled drawer might have been able to problem solve better than me at that time). But the problem was, that if each page had all of these smaller panels squeezed on each page, that meant nothing was BIG, which seems wrong for a book with the work HULK on it.

So, one day after getting my latest plot outline to draw, I phoned my editor (this was before I started drawing The Amazing Spider-Man comic) and said something like "Hey, boss, this latest plot is so crowded, I think this story might be better served if we made it into TWO ISSUES instead of just one. If we do that, then I can let some of the pages breathe a little...but more importantly I can finally make the Hulk BIG! I haven't had the chance to do that yet." My editor agreed and I was able to open up the pages to give more of a scope as to how HUGE this creature called the Hulk was.

The page you see below is the original art from one of those issues (Idid the pencils and someone else inked it) and you can see how much bigger the Hulk is compared to Betty Ross. That was all I ever wanted to show. Finally I had the opportunity. As a side note, the Hulk was colored gray at this time for reasons I have forgotten, but my interpretation of him was that he would be 1) HUGE, 2) With wrinked skin, like and elephant and that 3) he would be so massive that he could barely stand upright (*see the second photo I've posted*). Think of a giant Hunch back of Notre Dame, if you will. Later in the books run, he would be turned back to green and become much more handsome, thanks to the skilled drawing of Dale Keown and John Byrne.

I was just trying to make this character something that would visually be it's own look, since there were many large heroes and villains in the Marvel Universe at the time.

TODD