• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help from the comic community

78 posts in this topic

Hey everyone

I'm new to the forum but many of you have probably heard my story about my collection that was stolen at megacon. If you haven't heard here's what happened. I showed up to megacon on Thursday may 26 at about 2 pm and was taking my books to get signed by Stan Lee and perhaps do a little trading and grading. I also made the stupid decision to go and cosplay as a ghostbuster. Right outside the show I was at a table and needed to put my proton pack on so I put the bag with my books on the table. When I got the pack on and turned around the bag was gone. Almost my entire collection was in the bag which wasn't much but was very high priced books. I am in desperate need to get these books back. I doubt that anyone will ever say "hey I took the books and want to give them back" but for my fiancé and I, some of those books were very important. Some of those books were going toward our honeymoon and my fiancés wedding band. I know I am going to catch plenty of people trolling me as I have on Facebook but to come home to my fiancé in tears because we can't afford what we had intended for our wedding is killing me. So I have to try and I beg everyone to please keep a look out for them.

Heres the list....

Asm 1 ( Carolyne on the cover) Asm 14 cgc 5.5 Asm 15 vg Avengers 1 cgc 3.0 (cracked case writing inside the word avengers) daredevil 1 ( green overspray on the spine) GSX 1 high grade marvel Premiere 15 vf batman 251 vf+ secret wars 8 cgc 9.8 NM 98 9.8 journey into Mystery 103 vg

Please if any one has any info I can provide pictures even some video proving they were mine. I am desperate to get them back. If anyone has any info please inbox me or respond to this thread.

I did hear about this in another thread, I don't think anyone here is going to troll you over this, it is something we all worry about to some extent.

I hope you find your books, but I also wouldn't put too much hope in it.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear about that. Awful story.

If you haven't already, I would forward that list on to any stores local to MegaCon, as well as any/all prominent national dealers. Thieves are a stupid bunch for the most part, and often to try to fence things in very obvious places. Many, many comics have been recovered just by the owner getting a list to the right guys.

Hey everyone

I'm new to the forum but many of you have probably heard my story about my collection that was stolen at megacon. If you haven't heard here's what happened. I showed up to megacon on Thursday may 26 at about 2 pm and was taking my books to get signed by Stan Lee and perhaps do a little trading and grading. I also made the stupid decision to go and cosplay as a ghostbuster. Right outside the show I was at a table and needed to put my proton pack on so I put the bag with my books on the table. When I got the pack on and turned around the bag was gone. Almost my entire collection was in the bag which wasn't much but was very high priced books. I am in desperate need to get these books back. I doubt that anyone will ever say "hey I took the books and want to give them back" but for my fiancé and I, some of those books were very important. Some of those books were going toward our honeymoon and my fiancés wedding band. I know I am going to catch plenty of people trolling me as I have on Facebook but to come home to my fiancé in tears because we can't afford what we had intended for our wedding is killing me. So I have to try and I beg everyone to please keep a look out for them.

Heres the list....

Asm 1 ( Carolyne on the cover) Asm 14 cgc 5.5 Asm 15 vg Avengers 1 cgc 3.0 (cracked case writing inside the word avengers) daredevil 1 ( green overspray on the spine) GSX 1 high grade marvel Premiere 15 vf batman 251 vf+ secret wars 8 cgc 9.8 NM 98 9.8 journey into Mystery 103 vg

Please if any one has any info I can provide pictures even some video proving they were mine. I am desperate to get them back. If anyone has any info please inbox me or respond to this thread.

Hey bud, just sent you a PM.

Sorry to hear about this. Stories of theft really upset me, for some reason especially when it comes to comics. Comics are such a simple and pure source of joy. And they're personal. I'd be very upset if my comics were stolen. TV no big deal, stereo no big deal, even my car, no big deal. But not my comics. It would feel like someone somehow stealing my diary, and all my grandma's birthday cards, as well as my valuables.

From that article:

"A Giant Size X-Men #1 High Grade was also stolen and sold to a dealer who returned it after seeing evidence of Carlos’ ownership.

The thief is described as “a man in his 50s, with a greyish mustache, very round with slick back greyish hair. He wore a military hat.”"

There's got to be surveillance footage of that person in/near the area from that day.

Or in one of the numerous photos people take at these things

any site have pics from that con?

If you could google the type of military hat he wore and post a pic that would help.

I'm just assuming it was something like this

6kXR0RfG.jpg

Yeah we were able to get the GSX back and we tried to get as much info from the dealer but he was a little foggy on the details of the man being that he was focused on the GSX. He said he recalled it being a military hat possibly navy and I've looked through thousands of pictures that have been posted up and looked in the backgrounds of them all to see if I recognize anything or anyone. I think I've done everything short of going back in time

Is there building surveillance footage or photos from the convention floor and grounds? The police should be able to get authority to review it, if they have a detective assigned to the case. If not I would want to plead to the convention organizers or the convention-center management directly for access to the footage. I would think this falls into the category of grand theft and would be worthy of law-enforcement time and resources. I don't know much about these matters, but I hope you are able to catch the culprit so he is held fully accountable.

I did look online at some of the photo galleries available. There are Flickr, Instagram, Orlando Sentinel and multiple other photo galleries. There are also undoubtedly individual photographers out there who have many photos they haven't posted online, but whose contact information is credited in some of the galleries. These photographers will also have larger-format photos than what is online. There's also a website/forum devoted to cosplay where people share their photo galleries and talk about them.

If you can note the exact time of the theft (Thursday / time?), as well as the time when the comic was sold to the dealer (what day? time?), along with the location or nearby events, and supply that information to everybody who has taken photos, they can probably go directly to the folders for that day/event and narrow their searches. It's too bad the dealer who bought the Giant X-Men (I think that's what you said) didn't get a better look at the guy -- but round/fat, in his 50s, grey mustache, slicked-back grey hair, and military-style hat are a good starting point.

I hope you've worked up a list of all the comic shops and dealers up and down Florida. You can probably put together a list of their email addresses and do a mass email in a relatively short time. I'd also send out information to all the grading companies, national dealers, auction houses and other venues, in addition to writing Craigslist posts at all the Florida areas, as well as monitoring those Craigslist ads (especially in the larger Orlando area).

Put together all the information you can, complete with photos, times, lists, etc. and keep on top of this because there are thousands of people in the comics community who want to help you.

Here is your list of comics in a format that's a little easier to read:

COMICS STOLEN AT 2016 MEGACON in Orlando, Florida on Thursday, May 26

Amazing Spider-Man #1 ("Carolyne" is written on the cover)

Amazing Spider-Man #14, CGC 5.5

Amazing Spider-Man #15, VG

Avengers #1 CGC 3.0 (cracked case; the word "Avengers" traced on cover in pen)

Batman #251, VF+

Daredevil #1 (green overspray on the spine)

Giant-Size X-Men (GSX) #1, high grade (note: has been returned from dealer who unknowingly bought it from thief)

Journey Into Mystery #103, VG

Marvel Premiere #15, VF

New Mutants #98 CGC 9.8

Secret Wars #8 CGC 9.8 NM

I've done pretty much all that and contacted every dealer and store owner in Florida. Some more welcoming than others. The comics were stolen outside the center at approximately 2 pm on Thursday and the book was sold to the dealer between 10 am and 1130 am on Friday. I spent my entire time at the con pretty much looking for the books day in and day out open to close. There was no surveillance at the convention center until Saturday when they put a comers up after hearing that the dealer was scammed as well and also the camera was only place on that isle.

What about getting a list of vendors at the show and calling them and asking if they bought any of these books at the show, since we already know that the thief sold at least one of them the next day?