• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stranger Things on Netflix
4 4

449 posts in this topic

Watched episodes 1-4 straight. Pretty enthralling, but it is really derivative (or an homage to many things at once), almost to the point where I sometimes had difficulty staying immersed in it because I was saying "oh, that's totally E.T." or "Poltergeist". I kinda got over seeing foggy forests with impossibly bright, but unseen, moons hanging low in the background after a few seasons of X-Files, but there they are again. On the other hand, I definitely agree that they really, really nailed the feel of 1983 -- I think if you were that age then, which I was, that alone is enough to completely suck you in. The toys, the school, the furniture, the clothes, the small town streets... I was hyper-examining everything and it really looked great. Looking forward to watching the rest.

I really liked it. And I'm very picky.

I loved it when they showed the boxed board game "dungeon" - not dungeons and dragons, but just "dungeon". I had that when I was a kid but completely forgot about it until I saw that.

What do you all make of the ending? Here's my guess:

11 didn't die. She's just hanging out in the upside-down world until everyone in the real world is convinced she's really dead. Chief knows this, which is why he left food for her out in the woods. And Mike probably knows also, since it looks like he left her bed intact. She may be sleeping there in the upside down world, or perhaps she enters the "right-side-up" world when no one else is around to sleep there.

But why did the Chief get in the car with those dudes at the end? I assume it has something to do with the deal he made with them? I guess there's more to the deal than we have been shown.

I am really enjoying it. I was in an internet-dead zone for the last week & finally got a chance to start it last night when I got home. I finished the first 4 episodes & then crashed right as I was about to start 5. So I'll probably work thru that tonight after I clear up some of my DVR space from the last week. But thru 4 episodes, It's really really good.

I like the series w/some points of contention:

- Winona Ryder just screamed and cried the entire series

- Music annoyed me as I have heard these song choices in dozens of other things (particularly I'll Stop the World and Melt With You and New Order's Elegia)

The kids were great.

I am really enjoying it. I was in an internet-dead zone for the last week & finally got a chance to start it last night when I got home. I finished the first 4 episodes & then crashed right as I was about to start 5. So I'll probably work thru that tonight after I clear up some of my DVR space from the last week. But thru 4 episodes, It's really really good.

Yeah, and episode 5 is where it really gets intense. You're in for a treat. I'm up to the last episode which I'll probably watch tonight. Good stuff.

Watched one episode and loved it. The score is just brilliant, especially the opening theme. A distillation of a ton of things I love, including Stephen King, The X-Files and most especially John Carpenter.

Thanks to the board for pointing it out.

Great show. It was filmed about 10 miles from the house (alot are nowadays) so we started watching it just for the nostalgia of the location and turned out really liking it.

Great show. It was filmed about 10 miles from the house (alot are nowadays) so we started watching it just for the nostalgia of the location and turned out really liking it.

doh! Wow, no wonder it looked so close to my childhood, it's about an hour south.

Solid final episode... tense and satisfying with a few questions left to the imagination, but, truthfully, I think they could just leave it as is and move on. Twin Peaks kept going after they really resolved the initial direction and it just turned into a bit of a meandering mess after that. I've seen it suggested that "Stranger Things" could just become more of an anthology vehicle for similar sci-fi/horror dramas and just completely leave Hawkins, which I think is the best bet.

Anyway, this interview is worth checking out once you've finished the show. Sounds like the creators do have more they'd like to flesh out for a second season. Based on the positive response, I can't see it not happening.

Duffer Brothers interview - Lots of spoilers!!!!

Ok... so I gotta ask... what was up with the ending?

Especially in the coda? What was going on with the box in the woods with the sheriff? Were those Eggo's? Was it supposed to imply that he was leaving food for Eleven? And based on him getting in the car at the end, I guess we're supposed to assume that he's like covertly working for MKUltra people or whatever now? And the kid hacking up that whatever-it-was? And then jumping over to the upside down for that split second again?

Did I just miss something?

I thought it was awesome, but I think I maybe just didn't get the end-end.

Finished it. I really hope there will be a season 2 as this was just fantastic. And I hope they take it to 1984.

Well they've got no choice. It has to be at least 1984 with the events taking place in late October and early November and the wrap up being Christmas 1983.

It felt like ET, Firestarter, close encounters of the third kind, and poltergeist, all rolled into one.

Like the director just borrowed elements from above movies to make it.

I enjoyed it, but couldn't help feeling I'd seen it before.

Pretty awesome video comparing shots of classic 70s and 80s movies

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/side-by-side-comparisons-of-stranger-things-and-its-movie-inspirations

Warning it has major spoilers in it.

I finished last night and it has become one of my favorite seasons of tv of all time.

just 8 really solid if not perfect episodes. I know im partial because i grew up with all that but it was just awesome

Ok... so I gotta ask... what was up with the ending?

Especially in the coda? What was going on with the box in the woods with the sheriff? Were those Eggo's? Was it supposed to imply that he was leaving food for Eleven? And based on him getting in the car at the end, I guess we're supposed to assume that he's like covertly working for MKUltra people or whatever now? And the kid hacking up that whatever-it-was? And then jumping over to the upside down for that split second again?

Did I just miss something?

I thought it was awesome, but I think I maybe just didn't get the end-end.

I think the ending was designed to leave just enough hints and open threads (but not full on cliffhangers) that there's the potential to either continue this story/town/era in a second season, or to leave it as stand alone (and let peoples minds wander about the loose threads)

(specifics in spoiler tag)

Yes the food box is meant to suggest that Elle is still out there, is alive and is maybe in the upside/down other side (since the box is in the woods where it seemed like there was only a thin divide between the two worlds). My thinking with Hopper is that when he and Joyce were caught trying to get into the Lab he made a deal to work with them/for them (it'd be handy to have the local sheriff on your side covering things up) so that they could cross over to look for Will. It's part of his redemption story. And yeah Will has some of the upside/down in him after being there so long, so maybe now he's a portal himself.We'll have to see what comes in season 2 (fingers crossed)

thanks for hiding the ending behind 'spoiler' tags. Just watched 3 episodes so far. Interesting how they mentioned X-men #134 (intro Dark Phoenix foreshadowing?) about 3 times.

Like Preacher on tv better so far 5 episodes in though.

I guess I'll have to be the lone dissenter here. :sorry:

I loved the feel and look of the series, but the story did not hold up its end of the bargain. Felt like they put a lot of effort into the nostalgia/reference factor and forgot about plot.