• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who the heck are these guys?

33 posts in this topic

What makes us a professional grader?

Our founder (Dr. Holcomb) began buying, selling...

He's a Dr., so you know it's legit.

Their samples look great. Lots of 8.8's on 90's books I never heard of. Blackwulf, Abominations?

You guys... There is no reason to group shame this company!!! Put away the pitch forks and torches!

If you want to be taken seriously, you have to have a good marketing campaign. Or, at least put a few bucks into your brand.

You guys... There is no reason to group shame this company!!! Put away the pitch forks and torches!

If you want to be taken seriously, you have to have a good marketing campaign. Or, at least put a few bucks into your brand.

I'd agree, but keep in mind, this is in the boonies. Remember, I grew up in Chicksha. It's not exactly a major hub of social activity or at least wasn't back when I lived there. Chicksha is a mid-sized, predominantly rural community 50 miles SW of Okla. City. My guess is that Dr. Holcomb is a retired doctor who started collecting comics in the 60's and has returned to his passion with a start-up company. His grading company doesn't appear to pose any realistic business threat to either CGC or CBCS. It's too small scale of an operation and the grading system they employ doesn't appear to be in sync with the majors much less OPG.

It wouldn't surprise me if CGC's current problems may inspire more start-ups. While I like the idea of serious competition, low budget substitutes aren't going to fill the bill. Product quality and marketing would have to match CGC and CBCS to be taken seriously in a marketplace where auction house sales influence comic values.

Remember, I grew up in Chicksha. It's not exactly a major hub of social activity or at least wasn't back when I lived there.

It got much hipper after you left.

They like to get lost in corn mazes in Chickasha -

2013_maize_mock_up_pic.jpg

2015_maize_aerial_view.jpg

Not only are they in the boonies but they even get lost there!

Used to drive down there every Christmas for the Festival of Lights :)

Is that the term now? "Grooming"? And for about the cost of a large soda. :D

"Grooming with GRADING: Clean, press, and correction of spine roll (all three included):

GOLDEN: $3.50/BOOK, SILVER: $2.50/BOOK, OTHERS: $1.50/BOOK"

It cost me $45 to groom my dog. And with a coupon, they will clean his teeth for free.

But seriously, those are too-good-to-be-true prices IF they can do it right. Cheap even if they can do it half right. This grooming is intriguing.

Now now, someone believes in them. There's dozens listed on eBay. Nevermind that they are all the same seller....with 100% positive feedback....with nearly the same name.... hm

Here's one listing....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRISIS-On-INIFINITE-EARTHS-1-1985-DC-Graded-Midwest-Comic-Grading-MCG-9-5-/201602789082?hash=item2ef0766eda:g:BI0AAOSwtJZXXcsi

Now this one is a "regular" grade. It's nice of them to tell you the date it was graded. That way you can find ones that were graded during a strict grading period. And they let you see the label from both slightly left and slightly right angles. Very considerate. Honestly, I do like the 'Summary of Grading' notes on the back. CGC, get with it!

To hell with the grade, it's almost worth the money to have someone look through the whole book, find every defect and write all that grading detail out for u. I can assign the grade myself at that point. Now if they only did proper resto checks. Come on CGC. want to improve your company's Net Promoter Score? How about putting the graders notes on the labels.