• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus The Aardvark 1 Collecting thread?
2 2

48 posts in this topic

After searching it looks like the only thread related is this long locked thread. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5954076&fpart=1

Any chance to start a new one up? Always thought this was one of the coolest indie books when I was younger.

At any rate here is my meager contribution.

Cerebus_zpssybkypmo.jpg

I like the idea of a Cerebus # 1 club. I don't own one, but my wife does (it's the pride of her collection). She picked it up this year on April 9, exactly 33 years to the day after Dave Sim signed it. Here are some pics.

163088.jpg.d6ecffaba8339a7c9769edd60821620a.jpg

163089.jpg.8bb6205d3c679f37bc27204c1a19c9b0.jpg

Unfortunately, Dave Sim has not had a signing since 2010 when he had his official last signing at Strange Adventures in Halifax. Sim did spend decades going to every convention he could and signed a lot of comics, so I suspect that there are quite a few authentic issues of # 1 out there with his signatures, but who can say for sure?

When my wife brought the signed # 1 home I was astonished. Sim signed a copy of Spawn # 10 for me at his last signing (which he made disgruntled comments about!), but I never thought that she would find a # 1 signed in the wild. Since then she has added a signed Cerebus # 2 and # 4 to her collection. My signed Spawn 10 looks unappealing in comparison...

No love for Cerebus around here? I can't believe that only 2 boardies have copies of # 1 to share (well, I guess only 1500 copies were printed, so maybe it's not so surprising?)

No love for Cerebus around here? I can't believe that only 2 boardies have copies of # 1 to share (well, I guess only 1500 copies were printed, so maybe it's not so surprising?)

Well, I did just pick up most of Cerebus 65-90 for 50 cents apiece. That's kinda the same thing, right? :)

Heres a picture of me and Dave Sim at the Kitchener Comic Book Warehouse. (in November)

12241658_10156354274740106_2269745418608991141_n_zpsmyvwpqkl.jpg

Dave has since given the Kitchener Comic Book Warehouse 1000's of copies of back issue Cerebus to give away. If you're ever near Kitchener / Waterloo, Ontario - and want free Cerebus! They'll just let you go through boxes so you can put a set together - the reprint issues allow you to put an entire run together.... FOR FREE.

hoard-cerebus-1.jpg

Would any of your copies be free of those notorious spine ticks which seems to show up on every single copy of Cerebus 1 that I have seen so far? :wishluck:

Since these spine ticks appears to be a production issue with this particular book, does CGC discount for this flaw since they seem to do it for other production related flaws on other books? (shrug)

image_zps338a68f5.jpg

Pretty sure I started a thread myself sometime back... what happens is; it will fade away into the nothingness that is known as the thread search tool... I also have a 9.8 run 5-24 or something mostly Dave Sim file copies... I posted pics in that non existent thread as well..

Edited by Snikt!1988

hoard-cerebus-1.jpg

Would any of your copies be free of those notorious spine ticks which seems to show up on every single copy of Cerebus 1 that I have seen so far? :wishluck:

Since these spine ticks appears to be a production issue with this particular book, does CGC discount for this flaw since they seem to do it for other production related flaws on other books? (shrug)

These copies all have the spine ticks (the ones that don't are counterfeit copies in this photo) - but it's not production, it's due to poor storage & general handling.

Dave Sim's file copies of Cerebus #1 don't have the spine ticks, for instance.

image_zps338a68f5.jpg

Pretty sure I started a thread myself sometime back... what happens is; it will fade away into the nothingness that is known as the thread search tool... I also have a 9.8 run 5-24 or something mostly Dave Sim file copies... I posted pics in that non existent thread as well..

Odd I did search and that thread did not populate only the closed one, when I look at the threads you started it is there.

image_zps338a68f5.jpg

Odd I did search and that thread did not populate only the closed one, when I look at the threads you started it is there.

Yeah don't understand it myself... There is indeed a handful of us that appreciate the work of Dave Sim... Just have to pop up every so often...

I was an avid Cerebus collector, amassing multiple copies of all early issue Cerebi back in the 80s. I also purchased the early books from Harry Kremer. A real sweet guy. He was Sims "partner" on Oktoberfest and then Cerebus, facilitating the printing costs etc. he told me they ordered 2000 copies of #1. But when the books were delivered, they quickly saw that many were damaged, with spine cracks. They complained to the printer, and the result was that they got a credit back, which was settled by overprinting an additional 400 copies of issue #2

So that's why so few number 1s are high grade.

And since Dave hand picked a dozen of the best copies right away, why his file copies are among (if not THE) best preserved copies in existence.

It's a shame that Dave, having completed his vow to stop after exactly 300 issues, and since gone on to be even weirder and out of the mainstream than ever, has allowed (or caused) Cerebus to languish unappreciated these past ten years. But, that's his call. I guess I respect him for it, but want to grab him and say "snap out of it!"

Well, while I do Google Dave a sim every now and then to watch his progress , I just saw that he does have a new Cerebis project going that's isn't more reprinting a and delving into his notebooks etc etc. Cerebus in Hell. Is a series of 4 panel gag strips, with newly drawn Cerebus figures overlaid onto scans from Dantes inferno prints.

So that's something. No Gerard though,