• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus The Aardvark 1 Collecting thread?
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Curious to see what other members think of what the future holds price wise for Cerebus #1 (will it keep going up in value)?

I believe it will continue to go up steadily in value due primarily to its rarity factor.

But definitely not at the same hyper rate which the super hero keys are increasing in value.

That's my 2c worth, so take it for what you may.

hoard-cerebus-1.jpg

Would any of your copies be free of those notorious spine ticks which seems to show up on every single copy of Cerebus 1 that I have seen so far? :wishluck:

Since these spine ticks appears to be a production issue with this particular book, does CGC discount for this flaw since they seem to do it for other production related flaws on other books? (shrug)

These copies all have the spine ticks (the ones that don't are counterfeit copies in this photo) - but it's not production, it's due to poor storage & general handling.

Dave Sim's file copies of Cerebus #1 don't have the spine ticks, for instance.

Well, based upon the following post from aman, it would appear that you are incorrect when you say that the spine ticks are not a production issue. Especially when you should really discount Dave Sim's copies as he most likely cherry picked through all 2,000 copies to only find the best ones without the spine ticks to keep for himself.

he told me they ordered 2000 copies of #1. But when the books were delivered, they quickly saw that many were damaged, with spine cracks. They complained to the printer, and the result was that they got a credit back, which was settled by overprinting an additional 400 copies of issue #2

So that's why so few number 1s are high grade.

And since Dave hand picked a dozen of the best copies right away, why his file copies are among (if not THE) best preserved copies in existence.

Hence, since the spine ticks are a production related issue for Cerebus 1, CGC should definitely place much less of a downgrade for them when they are on a Cerebus 1, as compared to the severe hammering they give to other books that exhibit the same amount of spine ticks. hm

I'm thinking it was more of a handling issue, meaning the damage was done AFTER printing folding and stapling. Dave and Harry used some local printer who said he could do a comic book, but had a learning curve to overcome.

If you casually handled (moved, baled, tossed, erc) stacks of !00 copies into and out of piles and trucks and boxes, especially ones with solid black covers like this one, I think you'd end with covers that look like what printer delivered to Sim and Kramer.

It's hard to believe they were damaged on the presses, which is what I think is meant by production defects. And, generally, in rare occasions where CGC might decide to grade on a curve for a particular issue -- is this really a thing? ---- don't ALL copies have to have been damaged? The existence of Daves perfect file copies prove that some escaped unharmed.

It's hard to believe they were damaged on the presses, which is what I think is meant by production defects. And, generally, in rare occasions where CGC might decide to grade on a curve for a particular issue -- is this really a thing? ---- don't ALL copies have to have been damaged? The existence of Daves perfect file copies prove that some escaped unharmed.

You might actually be correct that the run might have been damaged by either the printer or shipper during the bundling and shipping process. I had always thought it was more of an incorrect folding and stapling error done by the printer.

Nevertheless, I don't believe that all copies of a book has to be damaged before CGC factors the defect into their grading process. Take a look at the early Marvels where a very small proportion of the books had Marvel chipping and yet CGC tends to factor this defect in and be rather lenient when determining the final grade.

Just because Dave was able to cherry pick the entire run to pull out the 0.5% of the run that had no spine ticks before they were shipped to the stores does not mean that collectors had access to these HG copies when the book first came out. My personal guess is that probably 98% or more of the entire print run may have had these spine tick defects to one degree or another. hm

Hello, I spoke to a few people on this board and they recommend I post in this thread.  Would anyone here happen to have a good ballpark value for Cerebus 1 CGC 4.5?  I'm likely purchasing a copy and I only have two time points on ebay.  I was hoping to get more data before I drop a lot of money.

Thanks for your time.

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Hello, I spoke to a few people on this board and they recommend I post in this thread.  Would anyone here happen to have a good ballpark value for Cerebus 1 CGC 4.5?  I'm likely purchasing a copy and I only have two time points on ebay.  I was hoping to get more data before I drop a lot of money.

Thanks for your time.

The last CGC 4.5 that sold at Heritage Auction was way back in 2009 and it went for 227$. This is only a guess but I would think in 2017 a CGC 4.5 would sell for between 400$ and 550$....but I could be wrong.

I paid most likely max market for my Cerebus #1 CGC 8.0 white pages back in 2016. It cost me 1250$.

I think it's a great book to own since everyone knows how many have been printed (2000) and not a ton of them still exist today. And it's also a really cool book and great cover art!!

Edited by SC22

57 minutes ago, SC22 said:

The last CGC 4.5 that sold at Heritage Auction was way back in 2009 and it went for 227$. This is only a guess but I would think in 2017 a CGC 4.5 would sell for between 400$ and 550$....but I could be wrong.

I paid most likely max market for my Cerebus #1 CGC 8.0 white pages back in 2016. It cost me 1250$.

I think it's a great book to own since everyone knows how many have been printed (2000) and not a ton of them still exist today. And it's also a really cool book and great cover art!!

Perfect.  That's so helpful.  Thank you.

10 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Perfect.  That's so helpful.  Thank you.

Again I am not 100% sure.....it's just my impression on what the current value would be.

Edited by SC22

49 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Since there are only 2000 or so in existence, I was thinking about creating a map of all the known locations of these bad boys...   Mainly sending me a photo proving you own a copy... Do you think people on this board would participate?

I have a CGC 8.0 white pages. If that helps. I posted the image in this topic as well. I also have no plans at all of selling it for a very long while.

Edited by SC22