• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,079 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ron C. said:
3 hours ago, Ron C. said:

I had some misplaced priorities in the 80's.

HTD Treasuries.jpg

Sorry to add a story to this, but my parents took me to Southern California in around 1977...  I had a few bucks to spend on books at what was likely one of the pre-versions of SDCC. I had a choice to spend $6 on a NM Silver Surfer #1 or a new Howard The Duck #1 that I could have Frank Brunner sign at the bottom of the first page. Needless to say, I made the incorrect choice...... Alas.

No worries lol

If back to the future taught us anything, it's time machines give our moms boob jobs lol

You may have already some of your money back,!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

35 minutes ago, wormboy said:

Nah, you absolutely made the right choice! You can find a NM Surfer 1 again (not for six bucks lol), but you can never replace a HTD 1 that Frank Brunner signed just for you in 1977 :headbang:

Great HTD Treasury set BTW!

I have nothing to add, but I agree completely.  Under those exact circumstances, the HtD 1 was the right call.

I love all these treasuries -- thanks for sharing.

I was wondering what people see as the most common/least common titles out there? The ones I have seen the most are the Star Wars #1 and #2 and the Conan with the white cover (I believe it's #4). The third Fantastic Four issue (I think it's #21) is one that I haven't seen in person in years.

Edited by RCheli

3 hours ago, RCheli said:

I was wondering what people see as the most common/least common titles out there? The ones I have seen the most are the Star Wars #1 and #2 and the Conan with the white cover (I believe it's #4). The third Fantastic Four issue (I think it's #21) is one that I haven't seen in person in years.

I agree with your observations.

For me, collecting mostly Marvel Treasuries, the hardest book in HG is easily Marvel Special Edition #3 Close Encounters. Not the Whitman edition. I still haven’t found a NM copy (as you can see in the pic haha). 

The Whitman Superman/Ali would be second toughest I would think. Though I’m sure there are other DC Treasuries more obscure and rare. The 3 Marvel Hanna Barbera issues and GI Joe are also challenging in HG.B1551055-B47B-4603-9BDF-EB3BE5A75D04.thumb.jpeg.5678f5588724222a77a97123975037f9.jpeg

4 hours ago, RCheli said:

MT#21 with the FF was tough for me to find too.

15 hours ago, RCheli said:

Try finding any high grade pence copies. They're like rocking horse poop. :insane:

On 3/10/2020 at 2:12 PM, RCheli said:

There are two versions (different covers) of the Gold Key/Whitman Jungle Book treasury edition... I found those to be the hardest in high grade.

The Christmas with Archie treasury was also tough.

13 hours ago, rakehell said:

Try finding any high grade pence copies. They're like rocking horse poop. :insane:

I once found a pence copy of the Gold Key/Whitman King Kong treasury edition online, and bought it - only to find when it actually arrived that it’s an odd size in between a magazine and a treasury. I’m not sure I understand the economics of printing a completely different edition, unless it was actually produced in the UK.

7 hours ago, Brock said:

I once found a pence copy of the Gold Key/Whitman King Kong treasury edition online, and bought it - only to find when it actually arrived that it’s an odd size in between a magazine and a treasury. I’m not sure I understand the economics of printing a completely different edition, unless it was actually produced in the UK.

Yeah. The King Kong thing has only just wandered onto my radar. Don't know enough about it to say, but I'd bet it was produced in the UK. The other UK pence variants of the standard treasury editions were printed in the US with the regular US copies & the Whitmans; they're all the same, just with a different price point.

As far as the UK printed things go, there isn't really a 'standard' size for anything. You'll get variation within a single title. That's part of the reason the US printed books stand out.

(thumbsu

On 2/12/2020 at 6:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If I butcher this I'm sorry

"And the 1st one said to the 2nd one there, I hope you're having fuUuUUN!"

Congrats!

You and OtherEric don’t happen to drink Red Bull, do you?

just wondering what gave you guys Wings...