• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,079 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2020 at 11:46 PM, PopKulture said:

Stellar books! They bring back memories for sure. I have quite a few of the ones you showed, but in very loved and well-read condition. They certainly present better in your grades though. I regret not picking up more in the 80's or 90's when I'm sure NOS copies were quite cheap. 

Do you have to pay up for copies like this? I only ask because I was shocked to come to these boards once upon a time and find that collecting high-grade Marvel picture frames was even a thing!!  (shrug)

Thank you!

You are right in that these used to be a lot cheaper to pick up. You could find dealers at shows that would have various stacks of these on their tables, priced at maybe $5 in sweet shape - even up into the mid 1990s.

Today's pricing? If we're talking higher grade (say VF/NM or better), yes - you're going to have to pay up. Not to say that good bargains can't be found. I think there are several issues in the teens and 20s that can be found for anywhere between maybe $25 and $40 each (if you look around). I have no idea what Overstreet prices these at right now. This is just from observing online. Some issues are tougher in higher grade - some are more desired... and those will bump you up in pricing. I never realized it, but several boardies have pointed out Treasury #21 (FF) is a tougher one in high grade. It's probably gonna punch you in the triple dollar digits for a true NM or better copy (maybe). The signed copies are easy triple-digit books. Supes/Ali is tougher in grade and gets good $$ (The Whitman version is even more expensive). Both Supes/Spidey team-up books do well. I think Treasury #26 also does well (Hulk 168 reprint). I'm not as sure about the DC books, but I think one of the Rudolph issues is really tough in grade.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:59 PM, HighVoltage said:

A few more copies I picked up from Hauser...

This is one of my favorite Neal adams covers. He was fully st the height of his drawing powers here. The crosshatching is insane!

This was listed as NM- but it has some light splitting along the spine, breaking the outer cover a bit. Probably more like a VF- 

I still love this book though.

IMG_7190.JPG

I have one of these graded as a 9.2. and sealed. I bought a poster of the full artwork signed by Adams as well. My favorite Batman saga by far.

This one has been blowing up the past month or so once people finally realized it predates Star Wars 39-44, figured I should grab it for my treasury collection before it becomes impossible:

image.jpg

Is this true? SW#42 a reprint?

According to certain websites.  Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Treasury-sized edition (about Life magazine-sized) featuring reprint of Marvel Comics Super Special #16

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. The official comic book adaptation of the George Lucas classic. Written by Archie Goodwin, with art by Al Williamson and Carlos Garzon. Lettered by Rick Veitch! Story later reprinted in Marvels Star Wars #39-44..    Marvel Super Special comic books issue 16

esb1.jpg

2 hours ago, ganni said:

This one has been blowing up the past month or so once people finally realized it predates Star Wars 39-44, figured I should grab it for my treasury collection before it becomes impossible:

image.jpg

Is this true? SW#42 a reprint?

According to certain websites.  Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Treasury-sized edition (about Life magazine-sized) featuring reprint of Marvel Comics Super Special #16

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. The official comic book adaptation of the George Lucas classic. Written by Archie Goodwin, with art by Al Williamson and Carlos Garzon. Lettered by Rick Veitch! Story later reprinted in Marvels Star Wars #39-44..    Marvel Super Special comic books issue 16

esb1.jpg

There's some argument on the release dates that I've seen; there was some recent discussion (I can't find the thread) suggesting the Special Edition predated the Super Special by a couple weeks.  Heck, the paperback edition might be even earlier.  But they definitely predated some if not most of the 39-44 run.

On 1/10/2021 at 11:48 AM, OtherEric said:

The treasury was the fourth and hopefully final version I'll pick up... I've got 39-44 (picked up around the time of release), the paperback (can't remember where I got that), the Super Special (probably a 6.0-7.0, a dollar bin find a year or so ago!) and now the treasury.  Stunning Williamson art whatever version you track down.

image.jpg

Edited Sunday at 12:51 PM by OtherEric

All i can remember back in the 80s.  The MSSM was the 1st available in the store.  The other copies arrive later.

40 minutes ago, ganni said:

All i can remember back in the 80s.  The MSSM was the 1st available in the store.  The other copies arrive later.

It's really hard to know anything beyond that, given the distribution channels different versions could show up various places in different orders.  We know that they had to have the paperback ready earlier than they other versions... Yoda looks REALLY weird in it because of that... but that's from the Marvel production standpoint, not the actual release date.