• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,079 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, wormboy said:

Nice! I forgot about the Tracy treasury - I read that one to death when I was a kid.

That one was always a bit odd in even in a series that was not short of oddities.  Why did DC license the character for one- and only one- reprint appearance?  I do suspect the Tabloid format was chosen to evade the CCA, but other than that it just seems... not weird, just unexpected.

IMG_20170611_225038.jpg

15 minutes ago, wormboy said:

Sweet! I also love the Star Wars box! 

Thanks to you both! It is pretty cool, no doubt. I've always loved the treasurys. I must've read that Spideys vs Superman 1000 times.....

Edited by Tbone911t

I was a big fan of the Marvel Treasuries-- bought my first one through the mail from Marvel (Giant Superhero Grab Bag - the first holiday issue they did- read that sucker to death). It came in a large envelope that was padded with pulp material. Wish I had kept that envelope and kept it in that since I didn't bag my treasuries until 1978 (finding bags was hard for them back then- thanks Robert Bell). I bought most of the rest either off the news stand, via some trading, and a couple I had to do mail order because they never showed in my area.

Have had them since then with the exception of the Star Wars books (1 & 2, never bought 3) and the Ali vs Superman-- though part of me wishes I had not sold those (around 2014-2015 I think). Also have the Steranko History of Comics 1 & 2 which I got at a book store new (they are not perfect but decent as I did read them). Still have a couple of DC (Batman and Tarzan) that came from others collections and they are in rough shape. I think the Marvels are designed to hold up better they way they were square bound.

The completest in me went after all the ones they offered up until I got out of collecting (1-15, plus some specials like Cap Bicentennial)-- but I did not go after the DC books  (Ali book being an exception along with Spidey-Supes). Ignored some of the ones that did not interest me like Wizard of Oz, Rudolph, Bible, etc-- but did get the 2001 Space Odyssey (Kirby rules!).

Gave away some of the doubles I had in the PIF thread too (Howard the Duck 12 and Hulk 5). They are awesome to flip through and other than ultra high grade, I cannot see why someone would encapsulate these even if CGC ever offers that service.

All said-- they were a ton of fun to collect back then- great memories.

Edited by 01TheDude

LCS today had a tub full of Treasuries that he just bought but had not yet priced. I asked him to put aside Rudolph for me and the DC/Marvel ones but he may price them for more than I want to spend. He said most of the ones he was aware of were in there with the exception of the Ali/Superman one. I recall Tracy, some Famous 1st editions, Bicentennial Battles, and of course at least 1 Rudolph! He also had a ton of magazines from the same seller.

On 6/11/2017 at 11:06 PM, OtherEric said:

That one was always a bit odd in even in a series that was not short of oddities.  Why did DC license the character for one- and only one- reprint appearance?  I do suspect the Tabloid format was chosen to evade the CCA, but other than that it just seems... not weird, just unexpected.

IMG_20170611_225038.jpg

My guess is that this has something to do with the Tracy hardcover book that was out in the mid70s ala Batman From the 30s to the 70s.  Those books were all DC characters except for Tracy and my guess is that this was somehow tied in to that. Ie, DC didn't specifically try to get the rights but maybe was offered it as something swung by the publisher of the hardcover books? Timing seems at least somewhat similar.

1 hour ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

My guess is that this has something to do with the Tracy hardcover book that was out in the mid70s ala Batman From the 30s to the 70s.  Those books were all DC characters except for Tracy and my guess is that this was somehow tied in to that. Ie, DC didn't specifically try to get the rights but maybe was offered it as something swung by the publisher of the hardcover books? Timing seems at least somewhat similar.

That makes as much sense as anything.  I haven't seen the Tracy hardcover, myself; but it does hang together otherwise until we get some other explanation.

And while getting my scanner reconnected is probably a project for tomorrow, I can at least take a picture of the treasury I got in the mail today:

Regular Spirit section included for size comparison, this is bigger than a typical treasury:

IMG_20170614_211932.jpg

Oh, that's nice! Thanks for thinking of us. Did it come with a little slip or anything? Just curious.

i believe Parkes run was a distribution company similar to Whitman. They did some Multi-Packs as well (Just like Whitman).

Edited by wormboy

1 minute ago, wormboy said:

Oh, that's nice! Thanks for thinking of us. Did it come with a little slip or anything? Just curious.

i believe Parkes run was a distribution company similar to Whitman. They did some Multi-Packs as well (Just like Whitman).

There was a (quite small) certificate of authenticity with it; sorry I didn't get a photo of that as well.

My friend is a huge Williamson fan, it's amazing to see his collection.

Thanks! Good to know.

Your friend probably already knows, but there was also a Williamson signed version of this book as a UK 'Annual' hardcover.

And of course the (very expensive) three volume HC signed set of the SW newspaper strips.