• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,079 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Eddie Powe said:

The first Rudolph was tough to find. I have an 8.0 but I'm not sure I can post it here. Also, the Kotter one was tough for me to find in VF or better. But my biggest pain so far is trying to find a NM of FFE Batman # 1. Finding a clean white front cover along with a non color breaking black back cover still has me looking. 

The first Rudolph treasure is not QUITE as rare as its reputation suggests, but it's definitely scarce, and I imagine close to impossible to get in grade.

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

DC released New Fun #1 recently, and they've solicited a reprint of Superman vs. Wonder Woman.  Is anyone noticing an uptick in demand for treasuries, or are they still a novelty item to most?  I assume people will complain about storage and pass them by, but I went and bought all five Famous 1st Edition hardcovers just in case.

20200628_104534.jpg

I have all the hardcovers, but where did you find such nice copies? those are tough...nice books!

3 hours ago, FineCollector said:

DC released New Fun #1 recently, and they've solicited a reprint of Superman vs. Wonder Woman.  Is anyone noticing an uptick in demand for treasuries, or are they still a novelty item to most?  I assume people will complain about storage and pass them by, but I went and bought all five Famous 1st Edition hardcovers just in case.

20200628_104534.jpg

Anyone who would pass up on a Treasury is not a true collector. :sumo:

13 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I have all the hardcovers, but where did you find such nice copies? those are tough...nice books!

Someone in the wilds of Facebook was offering the set for $1000. He sat on them for a month, and when the ad came back around, I got them cheaper.  He said they were like new, but when they arrived, they were no such thing: plenty of undisclosed edge wear on all of them.  Between the Wonder Woman and Sensation, one was also dropped on a spine corner, and the other has a tear in the dust cover.  I got a discount off those two rather than blowing my top and returning them, which I'm proud of. :)

I just bought a House of Mystery tonight to complete my DC set.  All that's left are the weirdos... Smurfs, Annie, GI Joe, Archie, before I get into the coloring books and older stuff.  Not looking forward to that!

Edited by FineCollector

19 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Someone in the wilds of Facebook was offering the set for $1000. He sat on them for a month, and when the ad came back around, I got them cheaper.  He said they were like new, but when they arrived, they were no such thing: plenty of undisclosed edge wear on all of them.  Between the Wonder Woman and Sensation, one was also dropped on a spine corner, and the other has a tear in the dust cover.  I got a discount off those two rather than blowing my top and returning them, which I'm proud of. :)

I just bought a House of Mystery tonight to complete my DC set.  All that's left are the weirdos... Smurfs, Annie, GI Joe, Archie, before I get into the coloring books and older stuff.  Not looking forward to that!

I have tons of the obscure stuff, and am also in Canada... send me a list if you’re ever looking to fill in the blanks.

10 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

They made a Smurf treasury?!  :news:

I went with a beat up copy, as I didn't want to pay what a high grade copy would go for... I haven't been big into collecting Smurfs since I was about 9.  (My sister still has them all, though; and she's not allowed to get rid of them without asking me.)

I've posted the front cover before, but the picture was lousy.  Figured out later my phone case had dust trapped in the camera window.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

21 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Nice.  I don't have the hardcovers (other than the New Fun #1), but my DC set is complete with the softcovers; unless you want to count the original New Fun issues, which I don't.  My Marvel set is only slightly above the half-way mark, though.

Good luck on the coloring books.  I still need to find an uncolored copy of Spider-Man; I have clean copies of the other seven.