• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I literally can't believe this...

20 posts in this topic

...I can't believe that any of the certified witnesses for CGC signature series wont be at the Sacramento Wizard World this weekend. What a waste to buy the VIP package that you can't refund.

There needs to be a better setup for this. CGC should require a witness at least at all the events. The Witness should be paid for their efforts too by CGC.

This whole needing to witness a signature is just not done right. I can't even show that I took a picture of the person signing the comic or event them saying directly in a video saying, "I [insert Artest/Actor Name] have signed this comic for [Person wanting signature name] for CGC grading."

How is that not proof.

Such a shame.

I get that you are frustrated, but man, do you really need to have this many threads about it?

All of us that have been in the SS game have experienced the frustration of not being able to get a witness when there is a nice opportunity.

CGC attends the shows that they attend, and the remainder of the shows are covered by facilitators. If you could make it worth their while, they would do the show. Are you willing to provide 75-100 subs? Or band together with some other folks and collectively get 200 or more? Because that is what it will take. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

If you think you are the squeaky wheel that is going to get the grease, guess again. My suggestion, again, would be to establish some relationships with other collectors and facilitators, and arrange to get your books done at shows that do have coverage.

This whole needing to witness a signature is just not done right. I can't even show that I took a picture of the person signing the comic or event them saying directly in a video saying, "I [insert Artest/Actor Name] have signed this comic for [Person wanting signature name] for CGC grading."

How is that not proof.

Such a shame.

If you don't understand why this is a a terrible idea, then there is no sense in us even trying to explain anything else.

We've all had many instances where we wish there was a witness.....but there just wasn't. Its just the way it works and i'd rather it be more strict than not. All it takes is one blemish...

With every year and more facilitators and witness out there....its a lot better than it used to be and each year gets better. There are a lot more cons with witnessed than not...

How is that not proof.

Such a shame.

If you don't understand why this is a a terrible idea, then there is no sense in us even trying to explain anything else.

There are rules to the system which we all have to follow, and have been set in place since day one.

Hello, this year CGC isn't going to be at the Sacramento Wizard World and I was told to try and contact a Witness/Facilitator in order to get some Signature Series comics submitted. Please let me know. The dates for the Wizard World is June 17-19.

I'm still hoping that I can get an official CGC witness for my comics being signed.

Hello, I will be attending the Sacramento Wizard World this coming June 17-19. I have a couple comics that I am going to have signed while there and I am in need of an official CGC witness in order to get some signature series graded.

CGC will not be having a booth there as they would rather be at the other two conventions that are amazingly happening at the same time.

Please help me out. Thanks.

You might want to call A-1 Comics because I think Brian Peets can do it. I seem to remember when they hosted Neal Adams he witnessed the sigs and sketches. I'm not sure if they're attending, but, being in Sacramento, it's a good possibility they are.

Thanks, I'll give them a call and see what they can do.

Well, unfortunately Brian Peets isn't going to be there this time around. This is quite frustrating.

Well, I guess I got screwed this year. Was going to have some comics signed. Bought the Sebastien Stan VIP so I could get a signature series of the first appearance of the Winter Soldier. And I have a #1 Walking Dead I was going to have signed by the two Walking Dead actors that are going to be there.

What a waste of money.

Seems that everyone is going to the other two comic cons other than Wizard World in Sacramento. So far the three witnesses I got in contact with aren't going.

Hello, I will be attending the Sacramento Wizard World this coming June 17-19. I have a couple comics that I am going to have signed while there and I am in need of an official CGC witness in order to get some signature series graded.

CGC will not be having a booth there as they would rather be at the other two conventions that are amazingly happening at the same time.

Please help me out. Thanks.

Just bumping this up. Checking to see if anyone is a witness that will be there.

...I can't believe that any of the certified witnesses for CGC signature series wont be at the Sacramento Wizard World this weekend. What a waste to buy the VIP package that you can't refund.

There needs to be a better setup for this. CGC should require a witness at least at all the events. The Witness should be paid for their efforts too by CGC.

How is that not proof.

Such a shame.

Quoted for hilarity.

Fellow regulars here seem to think that explaining why your idea won'r work is pointless. While it obviously is pointless, I will explain it anyway because someone might get something out of it.

First and foremost the program in place is as good as it gets when it comes to authentic signatures. The item is signed and and then remains in the custody of CGC or their agent until it is placed in a tamper-evident container. In order to retain its certification when other signatures are added, the item must remain in that tamper-evident container until CGC or their authorized agent opens it. It does not matter if you have a label with the book or not, unless opened by or with a CGC agent present, the previous signatures are no longer certified.

Why is this good? Put simply, someone with CGC has seen each signature added and maintained a chain of custody. CGC certifies the signatures as authentic not because they look like known signatures from the signer but because a representative has been with the book at the time it was signed and been handled only by CGC since then.

There are companies out there that verify signatures. Some are very good but nobody bats 1000 and JSA, PSA, DNA, or some other initialed companies have returned verdicts of "forgery" on items that were known to authentic, so it is safe to assume that the opposite has happened as well. The only way to be 100% certain that a signature is authentic is to buy from a trusted source like UDA or CGC that has actually watched the item being signed. Both of these companies have solid reputations because they don't do the type of thing you are suggesting.

As for photos or videos, look at eBay. It's full of them and I wouldn't touch them with your hand. Let's say I get a book signed by Harrison Ford and get a picture or video of him signing it. I submit both and the book gets the yellow label but in the time between Mr. Ford signing and me sending the materials in, I made 5 very nice forgeries in the same color and place as the original. I just keep sending new fake signatures with the same video or pic. To make matters worse, how about I don't send the original in until my third submission? There is no way to know which, if any, are real. It would undermine the credibility of the company in every way. There is a reason that CGC SS books command a premium but PGX signed books are widely ignored. PGX has had too many scandals for most serious collectors to feel comfortable about them.

I get the frustration of not being able to meet the talent, get your item signed, and get it CGC'd. Been there, done that. If your concern is CGC, the secondary market is a good place to start or you can reach out to facilitators on here to get the signature done. I can think of two for sure (I think it was more) that had access to Sebastian Stan in the last 30 days. Either way, you will know it's authentic because the rules are in place.

To the original poster----I would suggest you might want to contact any of the regular facilitator's here on the boards ahead of time prior to a show you're looking to get done.

Sending a PM to either myself, or DScott, Kevlar, Triston Pence, Steve French---any of us would be more than happy to help you figure out a way to execute without the stress of not having a CGC rep there on site. It's easy enough---I've helped out many through other venues and witnesses or just friends who work with me in other parts of the U.S.

If we have enough time in advance to plan, I'm sure something can almost always be worked out.

Having a witness at every convention, especially now during the busiest convention season, is not CGC's responsibility. But through Mike Balent (call him in advance, he can point you in the right direction by providing you with a facilitator contact name & number, for example).

Mike is our point of contact at CGC for all things signature series.

How is that not proof.

Such a shame.

Sure with unlimited resources. Honestly, I'm not surprised. WW Sacramento is only in it's third year and I get the impression it's losing steam based on my discussion with LCS that are deciding not to go this year. I subbed books the last two years and considering the amount of staff CGC sends to cons, I don't think it was worth it for them. I think I was literally half of their books subbed.

Like you, I failed to read CGC's schedule on their website.

Also, if you don't like their practice, use a different grading company. Most of us here want the integrity that comes with their strict requirements.

If you want something signed and CGC'd, you definitely should plan ahead and ask around well in advanced. I knew nothing about the whole process so I reached out to Rich Henn since he seemed to be well known and had a ton of CGC Signature Slabs. He explained to me how everything worked so I asked back in January if any of the facilitators were going be in Indianapolis the first weekend in June for the Indiana Comic Con. A couple nice members pointed me in the right direction. I got my Star Wars #6 signed by Ian McDiarmid myself, had it witnessed, and then sent to Rich to get David Prowse's autograph. It's all about communication. Once I knew there would be facilitators there, I bought my tickets. Most of these guys are very friendly and want to help those of us who can't travel to cons get our autographs. But you have to communicate and plan way ahead

You were also extremely unlikely to have 4 large regional conventions soak up all the CGC employees and facilitators in the country, it seems:

Heroes Con in NC (30+ yr in existance)

Denver Comic Con (Stan Lee, comic and media guests)

Comicpalooza, Houston (Heavy media guests like Aliens cast, Kate Beckinsale)

Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con (Claremont, Kevin Eastman, Steve McNiven and more)

Too many shows in 1 weekend.

You were also extremely unlikely to have 4 large regional conventions soak up all the CGC employees and facilitators in the country, it seems:

True!

And if Wizard World's massive expansion continues there's going to be a "Wizard World Restroom at the Chili's Next Door to Phil's Comics Con" pretty soon.

Nobody is stopping you from dropping 10k to pay for a rep to fly to sac. They aren't volunteers or serfs. You pay, they'll play.

True!

And if Wizard World's massive expansion continues there's going to be a "Wizard World Restroom at the Chili's Next Door to Phil's Comics Con" pretty soon.

When there's a Wizard World East St. Louis, we'll know for sure they've overdone it.

True!

When there's a Wizard World East St. Louis, we'll know for sure they've overdone it.

The swag bag for attendees will need to include a rape whistle, flak jacket, and a quick reference map for local trauma centers.....other than that it should be a fun weekend.

True!

Yes sir, Wizard World Walmart!

True!

The swag bag for attendees will need to include a rape whistle, flak jacket, and a quick reference map for local trauma centers.....other than that it should be a fun weekend.

Oh, and don't forget the Marvel Universe Taser gun.