• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Penney Variants
4 4

77 posts in this topic

Do the individual books sell for much of a premium?

The only one I can speak to is the Uncanny X-Men 268.

CGC 9.8 (regular) sells around $75.

CGC 9.8 (JC Penny) sold for $200 about 3 months ago and I saw a few go for $150 - $175 prior to that.

This book might be an outlier versus the other JC Penny ones because it's Jim Lee's first book on Uncanny X-Men.

248?

248 is indeed Lee's first X-Men work. 268 is the one that has the JCP variant (the classic Cap/BW/Wolvie cover). I bought a 9.8 JCP 268 on the boards a couple of years ago, should have held onto it!

I remember, round about 1992, when these came out, and I had a 2nd #268, and I traded it to someone as a first printing, at a time when all later printings were worse than horse poop.

I thought I was sooooo clever pawning off a second print as a first. "Sucker!" I thought. "I got first print money for a worthless second printing! Hahaha!!"

meh

Never owned another one again. Serves me right, for being a liar and a thief.

CGC 9.8 (JC Penny) sold for $200 about 3 months ago and I saw a few go for $150 - $175 prior to that.

This book might be an outlier versus the other JC Penny ones because it's Jim Lee's first book on Uncanny X-Men.

248?

248 is indeed Lee's first X-Men work. 268 is the one that has the JCP variant (the classic Cap/BW/Wolvie cover). I bought a 9.8 JCP 268 on the boards a couple of years ago, should have held onto it!

Sorry, let me clarify. 248 is indeed Jim Lee's first work. 268 is when he took over the helm on UXM (that's what I meant in saying it was his first book on Uncanny X-Men).

To me personally, it's a better book than 248. 268 started the Jim Lee run. Got UXM back in the groove. It has one of the best covers. Great story. And that first Captain America panel is simply awesome. Just a great book.

248?

I bought one from a boardie a few years ago, I wonder if it's the same one. I ended up selling it a few months back on eBay. Anthony, wish I could've passed it along to you instead! I agree too about the status of 268 vs. 248. 248 always seemed weak to me, 268 is where Lee's actual run started and was promoted heavily as such at the time.

Edited by Martin Sinescu

248?

I bought one from a boardie a few years ago, I wonder if it's the same one. I ended up selling it a few months back on eBay. Anthony, wish I could've passed it along to you instead! I agree too about the status of 268 vs. 248. 248 always seemed weak to me, 268 is where Lee's actual run started and was promoted heavily as such at the time.

It's been a couple of years, but I want to say that I bought it from Jim maybe three years ago, and sold it on ebay maybe a year ago? Fuzzy memory, but I do recall it was a nice book. I was picking up a lot of X-Men at the time, but later decided to narrow my focus, so off it went. I'd buy another one if I found it at the right price. Want to say I paid $200 for it at the time.

In high grade a good 50% of them sell well.

There are some that will never command much, but high grade on many you just don't see every day.

Personally I always enjoy the ones that look exactly like the originals.

There are a lot of oddballs ones that sell well too just because they don't surface much.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I only have Hulk 140. When I found it a few years back, I thought it was odd for a 40 year old comic to be in NM. I knew it had to be a latter print.

The SA and BA are easy enough to identify but is there an easy way to identify these variants for the modern books? The Spidey on the UPC is it fool-proof? I don't recall if DS Marvel 1st prints ever used this version of Spidey on the UPC.

jcpenny-upc-spidey_zpsxf5k4p1h.jpg

jcpenny-upc-spidey-30_zps5fyjculk.jpg

Edited by archer

I only have Hulk 140. When I found it a few years back, I thought it was odd for a 40 year old comic to be in NM. I knew it had to be a latter print.

The SA and BA are easy enough to identify but is there an easy way to identify these variants for the modern books? The Spidey on the UPC is it fool-proof? I don't recall if DS Marvel 1st prints ever used this version of Spidey on the UPC.

jcpenny-upc-spidey_zpsxf5k4p1h.jpg

jcpenny-upc-spidey-30_zps5fyjculk.jpg

The swinging Spider-Man logo without any text is foolproof except for a Spectacular Spider-Man 213 giveaway with the same logo.

Sort of a silly bump, but I just stumbled upon the Marvel Milestone Edition JC Penny TOS #39, X Men #1, ASM #1, and Incredible Hulk #1 all in NM condition, all for a buck a piece at 2nC. I had no idea of these things existing, and I would never have known there's a difference until I felt the paper stock and did a google search. I'm now going to have to keep a close eye out for these.

For some reason unlike many other variants high grade on some of these is very possible. I have had many NM copies or better go thru my hands over the years. I think mainly because honestly some people think they have the real issue.

High grade on 90's books to me is a 9.6....but really, a 9.8. :sumo:

I have had 3 of these books slabbed, haven't gotten back any 9.8's.

Avengers 4 got a CBCS 9.4

X-Men 268 got a CBCS 9.6

Another copy of Avengers 4 got a CGC 9.6.

All of those books were pressed.

The JC Penny books also suffered from subpar manufacturing defects.Most of which wouldn't keep a sweet copy out of 9.8 but things like cover overhang would.

This article mentions the defects, I'd add the paper stock used for the covers also feels kind of cheap.The silver showcase on the FC of Avengers 4 is another serious is due when it comes downgrading bc of marring/ink loss.

After finding those MME books I decided to go back to 2nC and look for more JC Penny variants. I found a bunch...

Amazing Spiderman #330

Daredevil #267

Daredevil #273

Excalibur #27

Fantastic Four #51

Fantastic Four #351

Fantastic Four #355

Ghost Rider #10

New Warriors #3

New Warriors #10

Silver Surfer #32

Silver Surfer #33

Sleepwalker #9

Spectacular Spiderman #145

Spectacular Spiderman #156

Web of Spiderman #81

Wonder Man #2

X Men Classic #47

2nC's comic section is so horribly unorganized I didn't want to look through every last book they had, so there could be even more in there. Most of these were in pretty good shape, nothing any less than VF- I'd say, with handful being NM-ish.

I apologize in advance if there is a real obvious source for information on these. I tried doing a search for a thread on the boards but couldn't find anything. I found this on the web, but it was last updated almost 10 years ago.

http://heroesgalaxy.com/variants/marvel-vintage-pack/

Does anyone care about these anymore? Does anyone have a list of which issues have variants? I'd love to see a thread for these similar to the DCU logo thread.

That is the article I wrote on the 3 MVP sets for the STLcomics gallery way back when. These sets are near and dear to me and I have all 3 sets in Minty condition. They can be a pain to put together but luckily I grabbed 2 of them complete. I even have the JC Penney catalogs they were featured in. Here is a link to the original write-up via the Wayback Machine-

http://web.archive.org/web/20120504021151/http://stlcomics.com/gallery/jcpenney_stridex/

Question for you guys.

I just purchased a Marvel Milestone Edition: Amazing Spider-Man #1 thinking it was the JC Penney Vintage Pack reprint because it had the white Marvel logo (2nd picture). The original printing had the red Marvel logo (1st picture). But when I went back and checked, I noticed that the JC Penney Vintage Pack reprint has no border around the white Marvel logo whereas this one does. So what is the one I just bought? It has the newspaper type interior pages like the JC Penney version but the cover is glossy and darker gray.

Marvel%20Milestone%20Edition%20-%20Amazing%20Spider-Man%201%20NM_zpswczdyama.jpg

Marvel%20Milestone%20Edition%20-%20Amazing%20Spider-Man%201%20NM%20White%20logo_zpsx93zxdvd.jpg

I apologize in advance if there is a real obvious source for information on these. I tried doing a search for a thread on the boards but couldn't find anything. I found this on the web, but it was last updated almost 10 years ago.

http://heroesgalaxy.com/variants/marvel-vintage-pack/

Does anyone care about these anymore? Does anyone have a list of which issues have variants? I'd love to see a thread for these similar to the DCU logo thread.

That is the article I wrote on the 3 MVP sets for the STLcomics gallery way back when. These sets are near and dear to me and I have all 3 sets in Minty condition. They can be a pain to put together but luckily I grabbed 2 of them complete. I even have the JC Penney catalogs they were featured in. Here is a link to the original write-up via the Wayback Machine-

http://web.archive.org/web/20120504021151/http://stlcomics.com/gallery/jcpenney_stridex/

Question for you guys.

I just purchased a Marvel Milestone Edition: Amazing Spider-Man #1 thinking it was the JC Penney Vintage Pack reprint because it had the white Marvel logo (2nd picture). The original printing had the red Marvel logo (1st picture). But when I went back and checked, I noticed that the JC Penney Vintage Pack reprint has no border around the white Marvel logo whereas this one does. So what is the one I just bought? It has the newspaper type interior pages like the JC Penney version but the cover is glossy and darker gray.

Marvel%20Milestone%20Edition%20-%20Amazing%20Spider-Man%201%20NM_zpswczdyama.jpg

Marvel%20Milestone%20Edition%20-%20Amazing%20Spider-Man%201%20NM%20White%20logo_zpsx93zxdvd.jpg

That's the 3rd printing

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=215351

Edited by 1dingo