• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Checklist software

20 posts in this topic

So my collection is getting to big to just remember what i have.

Does anyone know of any good software or tips and tricks to keep track of everything.

I ran across a program called collectorz but i'm not sure if scam or real software.

any ideas will help .

Thanks

Collectorz is a real site and not a bad one. I personally use CBI (Comic Book Inventory) since it's an app on my phone. You can upload cover photos and add notes (like CGC 9.4 White signed by Stan Lee). It's handy to have my collection on my phone for when I'm at conventions or a book gets brought up in conversation. If I remember right, you can try it out for free (up to 100 books) and it's just $2.99 (one time fee) for the full version.

I just have an Excel spreadsheet. I keep it in Drobox so I can access it on my phone easily when I need to reference stuff.

I've used Collectorz for a couple of years now and love it. You just put your comics in and the database autofills with a cover pic and info like price, artists, characters, plot, etc... You can also manually input any data you want. You can get the phone app and everything syncs up with your computer. Very handy!

I've used Collectorz for a couple of years now and love it. You just put your comics in and the database autofills with a cover pic and info like price, artists, characters, plot, etc... You can also manually input any data you want. You can get the phone app and everything syncs up with your computer. Very handy!

This. Collectorz is so easy to use. I love it because it allows me to keep both a checklist for the comics I have and a list for the comics I want. The ios app makes it so simple to carry around at a show or shop, too.

I just have an Excel spreadsheet. I keep it in Drobox so I can access it on my phone easily when I need to reference stuff.

Do you or anyone else have a google code or a screenshot of how it's set up? I totally suck at using Excel and need some visual aides...

I just use a Google sheet to keep track of what I have. It's free. You can have it import images from the web for your covers and/or scans that are on photobucket or where-ever.

You can organize it to the Nth degree with however many columns you see fit. One for date, name, publisher, grade, description, appearances, purchase price, value, and so on. You can even have a sheet dedicated to slabbed books, and one for raw books.

I also have the sheet keep track of my profit/loss on each book and my overall profit margin for my entire collection. I also have my 'Name' column link to my pdf scanned purchase receipts for each book. Why? Because I use it in conjunction with my insurance company so they can easily see my collection and have all the info they need in one place. And, did I mention its free? lol

If you have google drive on your phone, it will pop up there too.

@MetalPSI, I can help you or anyone out if they have questions (thumbs u

Here's a quick how-to on importing images into your excel:

1) I recommend you resize your pictures to all be the same dimensions, roughly 225 pixels high and 140 pixels wide (give or take). Google sheets sizes their columns/rows by pixels.

2) Upload your pictures to imageshack/photobucket, etc. Copy the links for each book into notepad and label which link is to which book

3) Use the following template to import your picture from imageshack into your 'Picture' column:

=IMAGE(http://www.imageshack.com/comics/Secret_Wars_7_Dell'Otto_Variant-Small.jpg", 3)

If you want to have that same picture also be a link to the same book but bigger, try:

=HYPERLINK("http://www.imageshack.com/comics/Secret_Wars_7_Dell'Otto_Variant-Large.jpg" , IMAGE( "http://www.imageshack.com/comics/Secret_Wars_7_Dell'Otto_Variant-Small.jpg", 3))

4) If you are OCD like me and have all of your receipts scanned into pdf files, you can use this template to make a link to them in your Comic Book Title/Name column:

=HYPERLINK("https://drive.google.com/ASM_667_Variant.pdf","Amazing Spider-Man")

Here's a screenshot of mine. Hope that helps.

Example.png

Jerome

This, but I use google drive.

I just checked and Collectorz (CLZ Comics - Comics Database) is $15.00 if you want to enter more than 100 comics. Looks cool, but I'll stick with free.

I just use a Google sheet to keep track of what I have. It's free. You can have it import images from the web for your covers and/or scans that are on photobucket or where-ever.

You can organize it to the Nth degree with however many columns you see fit. One for date, name, publisher, grade, description, appearances, purchase price, value, and so on. You can even have a sheet dedicated to slabbed books, and one for raw books.

I also have the sheet keep track of my profit/loss on each book and my overall profit margin for my entire collection. I also have my 'Name' column link to my pdf scanned purchase receipts for each book. Why? Because I use it in conjunction with my insurance company so they can easily see my collection and have all the info they need in one place. And, did I mention its free? lol

If you have google drive on your phone, it will pop up there too.

@MetalPSI, I can help you or anyone out if they have questions (thumbs u

Here's a quick how-to on importing images into your excel:

1) I recommend you resize your pictures to all be the same dimensions, roughly 225 pixels high and 140 pixels wide (give or take). Google sheets sizes their columns/rows by pixels.

2) Upload your pictures to imageshack/photobucket, etc. Copy the links for each book into notepad and label which link is to which book

3) Use the following template to import your picture from imageshack into your 'Picture' column:

=IMAGE(http://www.imageshack.com/comics/Secret_Wars_7_Dell'Otto_Variant-Small.jpg", 3)

If you want to have that same picture also be a link to the same book but bigger, try:

=HYPERLINK("http://www.imageshack.com/comics/Secret_Wars_7_Dell'Otto_Variant-Large.jpg" , IMAGE( "http://www.imageshack.com/comics/Secret_Wars_7_Dell'Otto_Variant-Small.jpg", 3))

Here's a screenshot of mine. Hope that helps.

Example.png

Jerome

I have an andriod phone, so I should be able to use this on my phone as well. Not familiar with google sheets, I'll look it up. Thanks, this is really informative :)

So my collection is getting to big to just remember what i have.

Does anyone know of any good software or tips and tricks to keep track of everything.

I ran across a program called collectorz but i'm not sure if scam or real software.

any ideas will help .

Thanks

Collectorz is legit. I've used it for about 4 years now. It's a little pricy (I'm also pretty cheap) to use both the iOS version and the Mac version (but the cloud syncing makes it awesome) and it's very useful. It's one of the few options for both mobile & PC. It DOES eat up a pretty big bit of your phone/tablet storage (about a gig for my 9k book collection + wishlist)

I also use Collectorz and have for the past few years. I have it installed on my PC; which is where I enter everything and then use their Cloud syncing to keep a copy of the database on both my phone and tablet.

So far I'm pleased with how it works and the fact that it can handle a large number of comics and titles.

Psy

i use collectorz as well, but for my want list i have a word doc i just print out once or twice a yr depending on how much i've added/removed from my list (word doc)

got to keep in mind anytime your useing things on your phone with no wifi it's eating you data, and meny cons don't have wifi set up..........since my son uses 95% of our data i'll stick with my print out and keep collectorz to keep track of what i have/what covers i still need

i use collectorz as well, but for my want list i have a word doc i just print out once or twice a yr depending on how much i've added/removed from my list (word doc)

got to keep in mind anytime your useing things on your phone with no wifi it's eating you data, and meny cons don't have wifi set up..........since my son uses 95% of our data i'll stick with my print out and keep collectorz to keep track of what i have/what covers i still need

When I first stated collecting; I used a memory type writer to keep track of my collection and then went to World for a bit; but with the number of issues that I own; it got to where the print out was going through 1/2 a ream of paper every time I wanted to print it. Which is also why I never tried putting it into Excel; just too much data entry.

Actually the only time Collectorz uses data is if you are uploading anything to the cloud to sync with either another device or your home computer. If you are just opening the program on your phone and looking at your collection it doesn't use any data since it puts the database on your phone/tablet. They have also made it to where now when you sync it only sync's what has been added or removed; it doesn't send the whole database like it use to do. So the data use is minimal. So for me; while at Heroes I used a total of 24.54kb of data using Collectorz software.

Now with that being said if you have a large collection that you are syncing for the first time I do suggest you sync it over wifi; since for example; the size of the database for my collection is currently sitting at 674mb.

Psy

When I first stated collecting; I used a memory type writer to keep track of my collection and then went to World for a bit; but with the number of issues that I own; it got to where the print out was going through 1/2 a ream of paper every time I wanted to print it. Which is also why I never tried putting it into Excel; just too much data entry.

Actually the only time Collectorz uses data is if you are uploading anything to the cloud to sync with either another device or your home computer. If you are just opening the program on your phone and looking at your collection it doesn't use any data since it puts the database on your phone/tablet. They have also made it to where now when you sync it only sync's what has been added or removed; it doesn't send the whole database like it use to do. So the data use is minimal. So for me; while at Heroes I used a total of 24.54kb of data using Collectorz software.

Now with that being said if you have a large collection that you are syncing for the first time I do suggest you sync it over wifi; since for example; the size of the database for my collection is currently sitting at 674mb.

Psy

wait wait wait, you would write you entire collection in word then print it out........why? it's fine keeping a list of what you have (i did at one point as well) but no need to print it out. a case of it's easier to list what you don't have AKA a want list

my want list is 15pages. if i were to print a list of what i have (11k books), well i have never had a need to do something insane like that. i would just keep the list updated in word

I use Collectorz as well. The software has a few rough edges, but overall it's good and relatively easy to use. As others have mentioned, you can sync everything between your desktop and mobile devices pretty painlessly - this is handy when you're at a convention or a yard sale or what have you. It also has the ability to let you enter items via barcode scanning and that can be nice if you have a large stack of books to work through.

I've seen a few comments on the cost ( versus free, a tough competitor lol ) and I have to say, as a software professional myself, it is very reasonably priced. Something like this seems relatively simple, but it's a ton of work to put together.

+1 for Collectorz.

I use it on both Desktop and iPhone... and have for some years... I would definitely recommend it.

- Scan barcodes to enter books or look up by title etc.

- Add custom images for front/rear cover

- Auto-populate all relevant data (creators, artists, characters, synopsis etc)

- Add personal notes, tags, price paid, current value, purchased from, location of book etc etc

- Store books in collection and on wishlist

- Track books on loan to friends

- Sync between devices

- Create an online library page of your collection, displaying only the information you wish to display

While I preferred the old licensing model, the whole world is going subscription based these days.

Psy

wait wait wait, you would write you entire collection in word then print it out........why? it's fine keeping a list of what you have (i did at one point as well) but no need to print it out. a case of it's easier to list what you don't have AKA a want list

my want list is 15pages. if i were to print a list of what i have (11k books), well i have never had a need to do something insane like that. i would just keep the list updated in word

This was in the days before smart phones and tablets; we are talking early to late 90's. So the only way to have a list of what I owned or even print out want lists were to print it out on paper. There was no practical way to have a list of what I owned or wanted any other way.

I started out; as stated earlier by keeping track of my collection using a memory typewriter; and then started using Compu-Comic which was a DOS based program and it was great until my collection went north of 4000 comics. I still used it up until I started using Collectorz and by then I was up to 7000 comics.

Using Compu-Comic I would normally print out an updated list and want lists every 6 to 9 months so I knew what I had and what I was looking to purchase.

Now that I'm using Collectorz I don't have a need to print out anything since everything is synced on both my phone and tablet that I take to shows with me.

Psy

Psy

This was in the days before smart phones and tablets; we are talking early to late 90's. So the only way to have a list of what I owned or even print out want lists were to print it out on paper. There was no practical way to have a list of what I owned or wanted any other way.

I started out; as stated earlier by keeping track of my collection using a memory typewriter; and then started using Compu-Comic which was a DOS based program and it was great until my collection went north of 4000 comics. I still used it up until I started using Collectorz and by then I was up to 7000 comics.

Using Compu-Comic I would normally print out an updated list and want lists every 6 to 9 months so I knew what I had and what I was looking to purchase.

Now that I'm using Collectorz I don't have a need to print out anything since everything is synced on both my phone and tablet that I take to shows with me.

Psy

guess it's just a different way of doing it, my original list was on a tandy and i would just open the .doc to look at my list of books i had & a simple matter of adding books and saveing the file again, and my want list was handwritten at the time..........i don't even know if windows and office were around yet at that point. then once i got a PC and office i redid the list in word and just kept it updated through saveing the file, though my wantlist was written up as well (thank god). tell you it was a pain to rewrite my want list bc i added new books since it's kinda in ABC order, went through alot of paper with that BS