• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most ridiculous Stan lee SS???...
5 5

327 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

This one made me cringe

1.thumb.jpg.319ecc1ab16276fcb9230d665daea73e.jpg

:facepalm:

His handlers MUST have a field day enabling a debacle such as this. Stan can't see worth a carp and so it's up to his handlers (and facilitators) to guide him where to sign. And this is the result.

Can't be a mistake - must be intentional negligence on the part of the handlers.

That is just a crime against the entire comicbook world right there. Ugh.

Edited by jcjames

I feel bad for everyone involved in the whole ordeal. I feel bad for the comics, I feel bad for the owners of the comics (though maybe not so much, because I'd wager the majority are just getting a sig to bump the value on their books), and I feel bad for Stan. I'm sure he's getting a cut of the money, but the whole thing seems just a hair shy of elder abuse. Plunk the old guy down in a chair and make him sign his name for hours on end, for money. I hope he's getting his piece of the action, but at his age, is it worth it?

50 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I feel bad for everyone involved in the whole ordeal. I feel bad for the comics, I feel bad for the owners of the comics (though maybe not so much, because I'd wager the majority are just getting a sig to bump the value on their books), and I feel bad for Stan. I'm sure he's getting a cut of the money, but the whole thing seems just a hair shy of elder abuse. Plunk the old guy down in a chair and make him sign his name for hours on end, for money. I hope he's getting his piece of the action, but at his age, is it worth it?

One thing is certain: Stan will keep signing books untill he is laid to rest. The question is: how do we prevent him from defacing even more books?

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Don't forget, its not just the signings, Stan also routinely does photo ops and the occasional panel.  The only time I've ever seen the photo op line in action, I'd swear they ripped through about 100 people in 20 minutes.  Makes you wonder how its worth it for either side.  The fans stand around for hours in order to be near Stan for 4.7 seconds.  As for Stan, sure he brings in the fat stacks, but at his age, unless he really is enjoying the constant travel and convention chaos, at what point is the money no longer worth chasing?

6 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Don't forget, its not just the signings, Stan also routinely does photo ops and the occasional panel.  The only time I've ever seen the photo op line in action, I'd swear they ripped through about 100 people in 20 minutes.  Makes you wonder how its worth it for either side.  The fans stand around for hours in order to be near Stan for 4.7 seconds.  As for Stan, sure he brings in the fat stacks, but at his age, unless he really is enjoying the constant travel and convention chaos, at what point is the money no longer worth chasing?

You have some good points, but I think because it's his Legacy, if he wasn't tied to it as closely then he would feel useless. I really think it does bring him joy as long he's up to it. Do I think they "persuade" him? a little, but I think that compared to Byrne or other's who seem so oppose to some of the aspects of signing, I say good for Stan! It probably gives him a sense of belonging and purpose. My parents are near retirement and already complain that they'll have nothing to do to keep occupied meh 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You have some good points, but I think because it's his Legacy, if he wasn't tied to it as closely then he would feel useless. I really think it does bring him joy as long he's up to it. Do I think they "persuade" him? a little, but I think that compared to Byrne or other's who seem so oppose to some of the aspects of signing, I say good for Stan! It probably gives him a sense of belonging and purpose. My parents are near retirement and already complain that they'll have nothing to do to keep occupied meh 

I would disagree on how much joy all this really brings him.  I mean, sure he's getting all sorts of adulation (and cash), but at the same time he's not interacting with anybody.  Just hour after hour of "Stan Lee", "Stan Lee", "Stan Lee"....then on to the photo chair with the endless parade of flash photography, then back to the auto table...wash, rinse, repeat.  No talking, no handshaking, no photos, no looking at, or his handlers will break your thumbs.  I'd personally lose my f'ing mind being herded around like that. 

So we've already done some significant :facepalm: over Stan Lee signatures on high grade copies of Incredible Hulk 181, but I have to bring this one up:

s-l1600.jpg

Putting Stan aside -- Why, oh why, oh why, would you get Jim Shooter on this book?  Unless the Wikipedia is leading me astray, Shooter wasn't even working for Marvel at the time.

But fear not, this one can be yours for the low price of $64,995.00. OBO. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-9-8-SS-Stan-Lee-Romita-Trimpe-Wein-Shooter-W-P/372225950285?epid=85340044&hash=item56aa65424d:g:U~QAAOSw8R9ag-Dy)

Edited by mattn792
Spell check

On 11/28/2017 at 9:26 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

This one made me cringe

1.thumb.jpg.319ecc1ab16276fcb9230d665daea73e.jpg

That is absolutely mind blowing, lol. Forget about all that free space between Spider-Man and the buildings, I'll just sign right across Spider-Man's head. 

On 10/31/2017 at 12:07 PM, jcjames said:

That's just wrong.

High grade mega-key should NOT be damaged by writing.

I don't mind and I even own low and midgrade signed books, but come on - that's just wrong. What a waste of a great high-grade book! 

110%