• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most ridiculous Stan lee SS???...
5 5

327 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2018 at 1:34 PM, mattn792 said:

$94,999.00 (OBO)

s-l1600.jpg

I kind of like this one even though it looks messy. I mean its one of the greatest Stan Lee books he ever worked on. Plus its not ultra high grade or rare. This is the perfect book to get signed.

1 hour ago, Rip said:

I kind of like this one even though it looks messy. I mean its one of the greatest Stan Lee books he ever worked on. Plus its not ultra high grade or rare. This is the perfect book to get signed.

I love Stan but the sig ruins a lot of the cover🤬🤬🤬👎🤭

Stan sigs are super valuable now, however..... as much as we love Stan the Man he still had many clunker sigs.

Check this one out (let's completely deface the reason we love this comic)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-5-CGC-0-5-SS-STAN-LEE-Origin-1st-Doctor-Doom/153305435796?hash=item23b1b74e94:g:6K4AAOSwuUlcFdQq:rk:108:pf:0

Edited by gadzukes

On 8/22/2018 at 8:42 AM, Mr bla bla said:
It is such a strange mystery: the minute Ditko and Kirby abandoned ship at Marvel the eternally creative Stan the Man suddenly stopped creating anything. And he hasnt created anything since.
What a strange mystery?

Lee's input:
1) filling out word balloons in the panels
2) nailing down as much creative credit to himself as his managerial power at Marvel corp allowed him to seize, thus screwing over the two real creators Steve and Jack.

This bufoon is a disgrace ... (just as his tasteless and ugly FC-signatures are s disgrace).

It's simple-ditko and kirby did rough plots, Lee wrote the dialogue.  Anyone that thinks ditko and kirby wrote the dialogue for the marvel books they worked on has only to read the goofy stuff they wrote when they were writing the dialogue.  I can buy Lee couldnt plot by himself, but absolutely the dialogue was all Lee.

41 minutes ago, kav said:

It's simple-ditko and kirby did rough plots, Lee wrote the dialogue.  Anyone that thinks ditko and kirby wrote the dialogue for the marvel books they worked on has only to read the goofy stuff they wrote when they were writing the dialogue.  I can buy Lee couldnt plot by himself, but absolutely the dialogue was all Lee.

“We’ve discussed” this else”where” - Kirby’s style “of” dialogu”e” was heavily influenced by “Shatner”.

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

“We’ve discussed” this else”where” - Kirby’s style “of” dialogu”e” was heavily influenced by “Shatner”.

:roflmao:

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Stan sigs are super valuable now, however..... as much as we love Stan the Man he still had many clunker sigs.

Check this one out (let's completely deface the reason we love this comic)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-5-CGC-0-5-SS-STAN-LEE-Origin-1st-Doctor-Doom/153305435796?hash=item23b1b74e94:g:6K4AAOSwuUlcFdQq:rk:108:pf:0

1181912093_00-stansigdoom.thumb.jpg.f78fe81cb02200dce11c8c8ee3f0c13a.jpg

only doing this because those links will be useless in the not too distant future

I've said it before.  One day everyone will realize that writing on a cover is writing on a cover.  And ruins books.  Just like it used to be ok to fill in black with a sharpie no problemo.  Future collectors will cringe at the WRITING RUINING A COVER.

At the very least an unruined comic can be taken out and enjoyed.  Once a book has writing on cover-its stuck in amber for good!

Edited by kav

29 minutes ago, kav said:

I've said it before.  One day everyone will realize that writing on a cover is writing on a cover.  And ruins books.  Just like it used to be ok to fill in black with a sharpie no problemo.  Future collectors will cringe at the WRITING RUINING A COVER.

At the very least an unruined comic can be taken out and enjoyed.  Once a book has writing on cover-its stuck in amber for good!

It's also cringeworthy because you seriously can't even tell it's a signature.  It looks like Reed Richards is trying to pull the sig down before it becomes a permanent fixture.

Edited by gadzukes

Just now, gadzukes said:

It's also cringeworthy because you seriously can't even tell it's a signature.  It looks like Reed Richards is try to pull the sig down before it becomes a permanent fixture.

Its gross

1 hour ago, kav said:

while I agree that sigs on a comic are sort of ruining them as much as adding tape would be, I still think it is kind of neat to see some child writing their name on there to declare it as their property for nostalgia purposes. Not ideal for the high grade collector-- but for someone who just like to reminisce about simpler times, pretty neat. I think I only did this to a couple of my books when I was very young and just starting out-- but it wasn't my signature. I got a hold of a ink stamp with the words "first class" and went to town on a bunch of stuff-- class photos, some comics, my first Marvel calendar and other things. Kids!

case in point.....

635818460_ST168-a.thumb.jpg.800b852dce0be5fa70c46c22cfe441fd.jpg1569404881_DD46-b.thumb.jpg.7b62b74c190f7d6f5605a3e38fd04dde.jpg

Edited by 01TheDude
spelling

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

It's also cringeworthy because you seriously can't even tell it's a signature.  It looks like Reed Richards is trying to pull the sig down before it becomes a permanent fixture.

yeah-- unfortunate placement for sure but at least they were using a super low grade book to begin with.

I just saw this on comic connect.  Signed with an old sharpie/marker.  I can't believe Stan's handlers would let this one go without correcting it by having Stan sign over it again with a fresh sharpie.  How much was Stan getting for his sig in 2016?  $100? :facepalm:

Normal  |  Large  |  Max  |  Back to Top
ama1.34750a.jpg

ama1.34750a.jpg
Edited by Catwomancomics

1 hour ago, Catwomancomics said:

I just saw this on comic connect.  Signed with an old sharpie/marker.  I can't believe Stan's handlers would let this one go without correcting it by having Stan sign over it again with a fresh sharpie.  How much was Stan getting for his sig in 2016?  $100? :facepalm:

Normal  |  Large  |  Max  |  Back to Top
ama1.34750a.jpg

That's a travesty.  You mention the handlers should have had Stan sign over the top, but can you imagine how bad that would have turned out?

19 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

That's a travesty.  You mention the handlers should have had Stan sign over the top, but can you imagine how bad that would have turned out?

I don't know what's better. A sig you can't see because of and old sharpie, or a black/silver blob that would have gone over the top.

Edited

Makes you think it's about the money and who cares what the fan gets in return.

Edited by Catwomancomics