• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most ridiculous Stan lee SS???...
5 5

327 posts in this topic

At the most recent Megacon Orlando, saw somebody have an electric guitar signed by him. Not comic book related, or anything just a regular looking Stratocaster. Not sure what I think about that.

I mean if Eric Clapton is signing AF #15's then maybe we found a new niche.

I wonder if this thread will poof.

I wonder the same especially since at one time CGC's response was a person has to have something to do with the book being signed and that Batman 1 absolutely does not. I believe someone asked if they or a board member could sign a book for SS.

Edited by Mephisto

At the most recent Megacon Orlando, saw somebody have an electric guitar signed by him. Not comic book related, or anything just a regular looking Stratocaster. Not sure what I think about that.

I mean if Eric Clapton is signing AF #15's then maybe we found a new niche.

I saw these at Comikaze a couple years ago - they looked pretty cool. But yeah, just a plain guitar would be a bit ???

20141031_161308_zpseuy8rwl0.jpg

20141031_161415_zpswnwaglul.jpg

I've mentioned it before, but I've got an ASM 238 signed by Romita, Romita Jr, Stern, and Stan Lee. Stan Lee signed on top of Stern.

It broke my heart. It made me feel even worse with the story about his eye sight. I can't even look at the book though.

Edited by ChrisInBaltimore

I've mentioned it before, but I've got an ASM 238 signed by Romita, Romita Jr, Stern, and Stan Lee. Stan Lee signed on top of Stern.

It broke my heart. It made me feel even worse with the story about his eye sight. I can't even look at the book though.

Ugh. That's bad.

Well, then there's always my personal "winner" from the man:

Of course I blame myself for handing a 50 year-old comicbook to a 90 year old man with a heavy-hand and sharp marker. :tonofbricks:

ASM1_TornByStanLee_zpspwrw31q8.jpg

Ugh. That's bad.

Of course I blame myself for handing a 50 year-old comicbook to a 90 year old man with a heavy-hand and sharp marker. :tonofbricks:

Is it rude if I spit Dr Pepper all over my monitor after reading this????

Ugh. That's bad.

Its like a random tree branch is grabbing a cheap feel at the Torch's expense...

Ugh. That's bad.

Just don't spew it on your books! :grin:

Too risky getting sigs, can only buy pre-signed books!

Agree, just got a couple that I'm disappointed in. I was told that he can't really see anymore, rushes through the signings and even the facilitator's signatures were bad. Poor Stan, I hope he's doing all these signings because he really wants to and not just to make other people money.

Yes, there are some books that have Stan's sig on that he had nothing to do with and really make little sense. Like the Batman book. I don't get it but people can do what they want with their book.

This is not Stan's "fault". Guy wants to pay X amount of dollars for Stan to sign something, why should Stan act as some sort of "arbiter" as to what is an "acceptable" book for him to sign? It is the owners book, he paid Stan, so why should he say no? If you are going to "blame" anyone for Stan signing a book he had nothing to do with, blame the owner subbing it, not "the man".

People act like (heaven forbid) Stan signing for $$$ is some "bad thing" - There is a market for it and I would be willing to bet that if most of us could command what Stan does for our signature, we would all likely do pretty much the same.

As for bad sig placements, I am not 100% excusing some of the placements but it takes like 5 minutes to window bag your book. Blame yourself or the facilitator for not taking 5 minutes to make sure you go the sig where you want. Have you seen how many books he signs? Combine that with the sharpie, age, etc., why put your book in that position?

I have a few books with Stan's sig on the interior and in ball point pen. The sig is nice and clean. You can see the change in his sig over time.

Should Stan "take more care"? Absolutely that argument can be made but if you consider all the factors (age, volume, choice of writing instrument, window bagged or not) all the blame can't lay with Stan over books being signed that he had nothing to do with or poor sig placement. For every poorly placed signature, you can easily find examples of nicely placed signatures.

However, as mentioned above, I still do hope Stan is doing for the right reasons (satisfying fans and filling his family bank account).

2c

As for bad sig placements, I am not 100% excusing some of the placements but it takes like 5 minutes to window bag your book. Blame yourself or the facilitator for not taking 5 minutes to make sure you go the sig where you want. Have you seen how many books he signs? Combine that with the sharpie, age, etc., why put your book in that position?

2c

I 100% blame the facilitator. I was new to SS at the time. I wish I'd known better because I would have asked for my money back. I paid him a lot of money to handle my book and get it signed. That he cut one window for four sigs is inexcuseble.

I rarely get books signed anymore cause it soured me to the whole experience, but when I do I go to Scott on the boards now. He does quality work.

2c

I 100% blame the facilitator. I was new to SS at the time. I wish I'd known better because I would have asked for my money back. I paid him a lot of money to handle my book and get it signed. That he cut one window for four sigs is inexcuseble.

I rarely get books signed anymore cause it soured me to the whole experience, but when I do I go to Scott on the boards now. He does quality work.

Which facilitator? And who's Scott? I typically use Rich Henn for everything now and he is the bees knees. Treats your books like they were his own, top notch communication, and overall great guy. Highly recommended