• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most ridiculous Stan lee SS???...
5 5

327 posts in this topic

Who's to blame on this disaster? :facepalm:

**The 2 sigs are 2 weeks apart**

10z5pvb.jpg

Ugh...so upsetting!

Yet so common! I remember there was a book out there where McFarlane signed it twice because Lee signed over the first one. He made a joke about there being a beef between them.

Part of me speculates that Stan Lee places the autograph on CGC signature series books in the worst spots as sort of his own quirky way of venting towards resellers, maybe. Just like how Postal employees have been known to handle packages marked "fragile" with added rough handling. I wouldn't be surprised if Stan is smiling inside at times signing for folks maybe he feels are just in it for the money.

One can blame the placement now on his failing eyesight, but That is more recent of an obstacle and excuse.

I guess that is why many people cut Windows on plastic bags to guide where signatures are places and to protect the condition of the book.

He's always a gracious guy in person, nice to fans in public, so maybe it's a way of venting, since nobody can be on and happy all of the time.

This is exactly what I did when I had Stan sign my book - took a few minutes for me to do and I averted any potential disaster and got to choose where his signature would be.

A little prep work never hurts.

2hyjhvq.jpg

Edited by Jordysnordy

Part of me speculates that Stan Lee places the autograph on CGC signature series books in the worst spots as sort of his own quirky way of venting towards resellers, maybe. Just like how Postal employees have been known to handle packages marked "fragile" with added rough handling. I wouldn't be surprised if Stan is smiling inside at times signing for folks maybe he feels are just in it for the money.

One can blame the placement now on his failing eyesight, but That is more recent of an obstacle and excuse.

I guess that is why many people cut Windows on plastic bags to guide where signatures are places and to protect the condition of the book.

He's always a gracious guy in person, nice to fans in public, so maybe it's a way of venting, since nobody can be on and happy all of the time.

This is exactly what I did when I had Stan sign my book - took a few minutes for me to do and I averted any potential disaster and got to choose where his signature would be.

A little prep work never hurts.

2hyjhvq.jpg

That was also when he could see what he was signing. His eyesight and signature has degraded greatly since then. Look at one of his sigs from 2016 and you will see how different they are.

I feel if you want the chance of a good sig, first is markers, don't give him a metallic or old sharpie, otherwise they will end up washed out. I personally would go with a thinner marker that would have more pigment, maybe Staedtler fine. I'm going to try using Sharpie Extreme or Pro, which have more pigment in the ink or something like a pigma micron which is thinner and forces him to slowdown and write his name more legibly.

I feel if you want the chance of a good sig, first is markers, don't give him a metallic or old sharpie, otherwise they will end up washed out. I personally would go with a thinner marker that would have more pigment, maybe Staedtler fine. I'm going to try using Sharpie Extreme or Pro, which have more pigment in the ink or something like a pigma micron which is thinner and forces him to slowdown and write his name more legibly.

Careful with this, as he won't know how to use the "different" pen and may make a signature error ( IE he may sign the way he signs )

Careful with this, as he won't know how to use the "different" pen and may make a signature error ( IE he may sign the way he signs )

I have had him use the Sigma Micron and they have come out clean and legible and the ink is archival.

image_zpshfvllo7w.jpeg

Edited by Captain Canuck

I have had him use the Sigma Micron and they have come out clean and legible and the ink is archival.

image_zpshfvllo7w.jpeg

When did you do that? Recent?

I've heard of instances where someone has window bagged and still signed the bag lol

I had a window cut in a nice Mylite 2. It was clear to see where the window was because I had tape around it with arrows that said "sign here". In the rush, he signed on the Mylite 2 but they caught it - it was one time I walked through the line to get it signed. So he signed in the actual window. I cut out the Mylite to match the size of the front window of my Stan Lee Funko Pop figure so now it looks like he actually signed that.

^^

Edited by Wilson3d

I'm sorry. I'm very new to this and this is a serious question:

You have to pay Stan Lee to sign whatever?

I guess it makes sense, if the price of a book is going to go up by a lot, he should get the cash

I guess it makes sense, if the price of a book is going to go up by a lot, he should get the cash

Not really most high end books sell for much less when signed.

Edited by Hulk1962

A signature doesn't always equate going up. Not everyone likes signatures on the cover of their book, some prefer it on the first page, others not at all, then you have to look at placement, color, the book (did he work on it or not, was the character created by him?) and so on. Some books may not go up at all and I assume some may go down after he signs it. The only reason you may see an increase is because people are trying to offset the cost of the sig and the cost of slabbing it.