• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most ridiculous Stan lee SS???...
5 5

327 posts in this topic

I wish I had a book signed by Stan.

I don't get the acrimony expressed in some of these threads & posts - not all the posts, but some. :)

I figure people can do what they want with their property.

Stan's now 94 fer christ'ssake. I'd bet if any of our parents, or ourselves in that age range, had a hundred books an hour tossed before us the sigs would be all over the place as well -- if we even had the lucidity to sign 'em at all.

And given the commodifying of funnybooks by the very nature of these forums, I doubt if many here would refuse to jump at the opportunity, if they were in Stan's shoes.

Makin' fun of an old man through his '80s & '90s. Hrrumph!

(That bein' said, some of those sigs are kinda funny). :blush:

I don't get the acrimony expressed in some of these threads & posts - not all the posts, but some. :)

Stan's now 94 fer christ'ssake. I'd bet if any of our parents, or ourselves in that age range, had a hundred books an hour tossed before us the sigs would be all over the place as well -- if we even had the lucidity to sign 'em at all.

And given the commodifying of funnybooks by the very nature of these forums, I doubt if many here would refuse to jump at the opportunity, if they were in Stan's shoes.

That's why I continue to get his sig every time I see him. He may not be perfect, but none of us are, but what is clear and undeniable is what he helped to co-create and his impact on pop culture. Not many people have that lasting impact over many generations and for years to come.

Has anyone ever had Stan sign a blank cover?

Yes and then they had a sketch artist sketch Stan Lee being assaulted by Negan from the Walking Dead, so Stan Lee won't sign blank covers anymore...... :(

It's personal taste, but I think the ongoing debate is that many people think getting a book signed adds some extra value to it, when the reality is, you shrink the market for people who want a nice condition Silver Age CGC book. Many collectors simply don't want a signed CGC Stan Lee book, even though they may desire the book in the grade it is in. Even more collectors don't want a signed book that Stan had nothing to do with.

It's personal taste, but I think the ongoing debate is that many people think getting a book signed adds some extra value to it, when the reality is, you shrink the market for people who want a nice condition Silver Age CGC book. Many collectors simply don't want a signed CGC Stan Lee book, even though they may desire the book in the grade it is in. Even more collectors don't want a signed book that Stan had nothing to do with.

I would argue that, look at the GPA results of signed versus unsigned by Stan Lee Silver Age books he has worked on. It also depends on the quality and placement of the signature. If Stan signed on the first page, it would not limit the interested market, more likely help it.

I would love to have Stan's autograph if I met him, but not on a comic book. It's writing on a book. In buying a key book, I would personally pass on an autographed copy.

Obviously, there's a market for it, but I'm not it.

That said, I have a few autographed books in my collection, mostly from buying an estate collection. I got rid of most of them in an auction. The few I kept are cool sigs on $1 books -- basically the same as just having a piece of paper autographed. I kept Joe Kubert and both his sons on some modern x-men book they did, and Walt Simonson and Tony Isabella on a Topps comic they did, and Claremont and Romita Jr.on an X-men, 219 I think. There was also all 5 members of Aerosmith on a Shadowman 19.

The others? A full set of Marvel's Godzilla, signed by Herb Trimpe and Dan Green at a con when I was a kid. They offered and though I didn't really want them to, I felt impolite declining. My friends and I had organized the little con and they were gracious enough to attend and do sketches. I still treasure the Hulk sketch Herb drew and Dan inked for me.

I also picked up a copy of the hardcover Superman from the 30's to the 70's in an antique shop and got home and found "Curt Swan" on an interior page.

I will probably part with most them at some point as autographs from people I have not personally met just don't hold much meaning for me.

I guess it was really ingrained in me as a young collector that writing on comics devalues the book, and I've never understood the whole signature series thing as a result. Again, that's just me. Obviously, many like and appreciate signed books.

For example here is my CGC slabbed FF1 signed by Stan on the splash page. This signature, quality and placement does not limit interest by collectors.

image_zpspncw2fje.jpeg

I think this is way better than his blobbed sharpie on the cover. You have a nice book, a Mega Key, and his signature and placement on the interior are great. That is way more interesting and attractive to a person who doesn't like their covers signed.

For example here is my CGC slabbed FF1 signed by Stan on the splash page. This signature, quality and placement does not limit interest by collectors.

image_zpspncw2fje.jpeg

I think this is way better than his blobbed sharpie on the cover. You have a nice book, a Mega Key, and his signature and placement on the interior are great. That is way more interesting and attractive to a person who doesn't like their covers signed.

Thanks! The cleanest sig I have seen from him in a long time. Most of the items I had signed by him this past Summer were either signed with an archival marker seen above or a bold cheque fraud ball point pen, both more durable than a sharpie and cleaner looking.

image_zpspncw2fje.jpeg

Thanks! The cleanest sig I have seen from him in a long time. Most of the items I had signed by him this past Summer were either signed with an archival marker seen above or a bold cheque fraud ball point pen, both more durable than a sharpie and cleaner looking.

Looks great Ari

I prefer the splash page signature

--- is that a coverless copy that you had put a repro cover on? The interior pages look tan and that inside cover looks brand new.

Yes and had it slabbed, also had the repro cover signed in this case, but it was a custom cover and not a stock FF1 cover.

Here is the repo cover I put on it. I had Stan sign with one of the new Sharpie Extreme markers. You can see the difference in clarity of his sig between when you put a sharpie in his hand and a thinner writing utensil. Both signed at the same time.

FF1 cover adapted from Kirby by Mike DeCarlo

Front:

06AB2F2A-E0D0-498B-9E3C-A584A606583F_zpszx0odsyu.jpg

Back:

AF733F6F-E372-4CD2-AFBB-F442C614C511_zpso9r9hkuj.jpg

Edited by Captain Canuck

--- is that a coverless copy that you had put a repro cover on? The interior pages look tan and that inside cover looks brand new.

Yes and had it slabbed, also had the repro cover signed in this case, but it was a custom cover and not a stock FF1 cover.

Here is the repo cover I put on it. I had Stan sign with one of the new Sharpie Extreme markers. You can see the difference in clarity of his sig between when you put a sharpie in his hand and a thinner writing utensil. Both signed at the same time.

Front:

Back:

I think you did a great job in creating this wonderful keepsake.

Front:

Back:

I think you did a great job in creating this wonderful keepsake.

I apologize for not giving the credit, but I also could not have done this unique project without the help, advice and layout from Artboy99. Thank you!