• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most ridiculous Stan lee SS???...
5 5

327 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

I'm inclined to agree as I have always wondered this myself

I don't know...I mean he is in his 90's.  It's not natural for anybody, let alone a 90+ year old to sit there and sign their name over and over for hours at a time.  His handlers run a fast assembly line.  His eyesight is not good.  I think he tries, but just gets stuff shoved in his face, and it's 'chop chop,  hurry up Stan'.   No pictures, basically no talking, it's a very weird thing now-a-days. 

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

I don't know...I mean he is in his 90's.  It's not natural for anybody, let alone a 90+ year old to sit there and sign their name over and over for hours at a time.  His handlers run a fast assembly line.  His eyesight is not good.  I think he tries, but just gets stuff shoved in his face, and it's 'chop chop,  hurry up Stan'.   No pictures, basically no talking, it's a very weird thing now-a-days. 

But he doesn't have to do it.  He could choose to do only a couple hundred a day for the weekend, and try to take a little time.  I get that his eyesight is bad now, but he has been churning out these sigs for 20 years.  It's like Shatner.

that's the part that puzzles me-- there have to be so many Stan Lee signed items out there already and he's charging pretty big money to keep signing. You don't seem to get to meet him-- just stand in his presence I guess-- and have him scribble on whatever.

At some point-- these signatures would seem to be worthless other than some sentimental value. I can't understand the desire.

51 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

that's the part that puzzles me-- there have to be so many Stan Lee signed items out there already and he's charging pretty big money to keep signing. You don't seem to get to meet him-- just stand in his presence I guess-- and have him scribble on whatever.

At some point-- these signatures would seem to be worthless other than some sentimental value. I can't understand the desire.

Put aside rationality a moment.  You have a comic in your hands and you want to make it into something "worth more." 

What to do?

You could maybe try a press. Maybe get it put into a slab. Or what about adding a sig, that could do it!  

32 minutes ago, grebal said:

Put aside rationality a moment.  You have a comic in your hands and you want to make it into something "worth more." 

What to do?

You could maybe try a press. Maybe get it put into a slab. Or what about adding a sig, that could do it!  

what about making a post in the Bronze Age Comics that are Heating Up thread?

1 minute ago, 01TheDude said:

what about making a post in the Bronze Age Comics that are Heating Up thread?

That's real good.   Funny dude (seriously).

I was focusing on the tangible book itself, very rudimentary and simple, but you're right, the more thoughtful and deeper way is to change perception in the market of the value of the paper in your hands - develop and nurture a false rumor about next feature film, paper some fake transactions on ebay, shill bid to inflate perception of price in other arenas, all the many tricks I've learned about since joining the boards.  Course this last paragraph of stuff is not so much funny as sad.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:23 AM, Pirate said:
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:34 PM, 01TheDude said:

besides defacing the book-- I don't see any signature.

The signature is extra

How much does he charge for just a defacement?

16 hours ago, grebal said:

What to do?

"Worth more" is starting to become debatable.   There are sooooo many Stan Lee signed books, that supply will probably outpace demand.   Look at ebay.  How many signed CGC books go unsold for whatever reason (price, placement, not desirable book) etc.    I don't care one lick about signed comics.  I do like to have prints signed, so I can frame them and enjoy them.  But I have zero interest in a signed comic.  

11 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

"Worth more" is starting to become debatable.   There are sooooo many Stan Lee signed books, that supply will probably outpace demand.   Look at ebay.  How many signed CGC books go unsold for whatever reason (price, placement, not desirable book) etc.    I don't care one lick about signed comics.  I do like to have prints signed, so I can frame them and enjoy them.  But I have zero interest in a signed comic.  

Agreed.

I was mocking it.

I'm against defacement too.

For moderns I say ink them up all day long.

I'd have a hard time watching one of those fat markers tagging up an old Altlas book though...would HAVE to be a ball point pen Stan! I'll pay you extra for that!

In all seriousness, if an old book is rare and collectible, does even a nice looking signature add any value to it? Splash page perhaps?

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Placement...prep, prep, prep.  This is one of my favorites in my own Silver Age SS collection.  Although added props to Roy Thomas, overall he's really good with placement no matter what.

34 front.JPG

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Heck yes, black sharpie on black ink, can’t fail!  :roflmao: