• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most ridiculous Stan lee SS???...
5 5

327 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:
It is such a strange mystery: the minute Ditko and Kirby abandoned ship at Marvel the eternally creative Stan the Man suddenly stopped creating anything. And he hasnt created anything since.
What a strange mystery?

Lee's input:
1) filling out word balloons in the panels
2) nailing down as much creative credit to himself as his managerial power at Marvel corp allowed him to seize, thus screwing over the two real creators Steve and Jack.

This bufoon is a disgrace ... (just as his tasteless and ugly FC-signatures are s disgrace).

That's a bit harsh. lol

I 100% doubt Stan is going out of his way to deface, destroy, murder these "poor" books.

Cripes people.

29 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That is absolutely awesome. He wrote the book. I may be the only guy who appreciates that, but I do. If I had stupid money, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I actually have that book signed by Stan, but it's not a 9.8 (it's only a 7.0).

My issue was that it's such a rare super-high grade book, I don't like the idea of such HTF HG books being signed (plus it looks like a recent bad signature from the man :(  )

6 minutes ago, jcjames said:
38 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That is absolutely awesome. He wrote the book. I may be the only guy who appreciates that, but I do. If I had stupid money, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

My issue was that it's such a rare super-high grade book, I don't like the idea of such HTF HG books being signed (plus it looks like a recent bad signature from the man :( )

You gotta look at the flip side though. For people that love comic books and love signatures, having a HG book signed by whomever (artists, creator, actor, Stan) is pretty frickin awesome.

Sig books don't do much for me but the out and out hate in this thread is pretty bad. (Not you). 

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

My issue was that it's such a rare super-high grade book, I don't like the idea of such HTF HG books being signed (plus it looks like a recent bad signature from the man :( )

I totally understand your issue, but I disagree. I think it's magnificent that that book survived in 9.8 all these years, and then has an authentic Stan sig on it. 

Before SS, I would have completely agreed with you. Since SS, though, which provides a mechanism of 99% surety that that book was signed by Stan...I love it.

Creators sign their original art all the time...and by definition, only one piece exists. I appreciate, probably more than most, the total and completely random chance that a book survives in that grade from then until now. It's almost miraculous. 

Frankly, I think the people who get original art signed "to them" are guilty of a far, far worse crime. I've seen multiple pieces signed to collectors, who are mere caretakers of these pieces, like all of us, which I think is gross and disgusting...like this one:

17692668%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Who is this "John" guy, and why is he getting OA signed to him? Did he have anything to do with creating this piece, or is he just some guy who happened to own that page at one point?

26 minutes ago, Park said:

That's a bit harsh. lol

I 100% doubt Stan is going out of his way to deface, destroy, murder these "poor" books.

Cripes people.

Well...with all those people getting books stabbed these days, I dunno...

PS. That's the first post of yours I've ever liked. :luhv:

I keep going back to examples from art forms other than comic books when I think about signatures.

Let's say there's some Frazetta lithograph of 1,000 copies.  Let's say Frazetta signed 200 of them.

Are those 200 ruined, or are they far more desirable than the other 800?

16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I keep going back to examples from art forms other than comic books when I think about signatures.

Let's say there's some Frazetta lithograph of 1,000 copies.  Let's say Frazetta signed 200 of them.

Yes. :wink:

1 minute ago, jcjames said:
18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yes. :wink:

lol

4 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Oakman will say literally anything as long as he can get on his anti-signature soapbox and shout to the mountaintops.

Fingh I  have great respect for you guys that hunt down your favorite signatures, just not for me. The good thing about this or any other hobby is you can enjoy it a thousand different ways.

18 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Fingh I  have great respect for you guys that hunt down your favorite signatures, just not for me. The good thing about this or any other hobby is you can enjoy it a thousand different ways.

I think It would be relatively easy to disprove this by looking at your extremely derogatory posts over the years.  I mean comparing SS to purple label?  Constantly posting about getting anything other than comics signed? Just own it, dude. You certainly haven't been a shrinking violet about your disdain, so please, just own it.

6 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I think It would be relatively easy to disprove this by looking at your extremely derogatory posts over the years.  I mean comparing SS to purple label?  Constantly posting about getting anything other than comics signed? Just own it, dude. You certainly haven't been a shrinking violet about your disdain, so please, just own it.

You got me ! I hate, hate, hate it.:pullhair:

7 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Personally I just want their autographs to show them that I admire their work and as a keepsake of that meeting or letter that I wrote.  

15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I appreciate it. It's unique and I'm an autograph collector also, so a mid-60s main title superhero Marvel signed by the writer? In this condition? With a perfectly placed signature (window prepped allowed, in all probability)? And considering the date of the signing and that it's perfectly legible and neat? It's one of and the last of its kind. If he had it priced in the 10 to 12 grand range, I'm sure it would have sold already. 15 grand is ambitious, but you know what? He'll get it.

7 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I appreciate it. It's unique and I'm an autograph collector also, so a mid-60s main title superhero Marvel signed by the writer? In this condition? With a perfectly placed signature (window prepped allowed, in all probability)? And considering the date of the signing and that it's perfectly legible and neat? It's one of and the last of its kind. If he had it priced in the 10 to 12 grand range, I'm sure it would have sold already. 15 grand is ambitious, but you know what? He'll get it.

Legible and neat?  You really think so?  That one goes down as a clunker in my book (unless you're being facetious, in which case you failed to use the proprietary internet facetiousness font...).

5 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Legible and neat?  You really think so?  That one goes down as a clunker in my book (unless you're being facetious, in which case you failed to use the proprietary internet facetiousness font...).

Yes. Based on some of the certified crushed Stan Lee autos I've seen, with a look like all the letters are fighting over the same space, that Stan Lee, again for that date, is a penmanship lesson from Emily Post by comparison. The nice thing about it is that it's recognizable, on its on merits, as being authentic. Whether under a yellow label or not, the signature's vibe is authentic. I can't say that for the majority of Stan's post 01/2016 signatures, some of them appearing so cryptic as to leaving me to wonder how an expert would possibly authentic it if not CGC witnessed!

I stand by my opinion. It's a decent signature, it's legible and readily recognizable as Stan's, certified or not, the placement couldn't be better, and it's on a tremendous piece.

20 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes. Based on some of the certified crushed Stan Lee autos I've seen, with a look like all the letters are fighting over the same space, that Stan Lee, again for that date, is a penmanship lesson from Emily Post by comparison. The nice thing about it is that it's recognizable, on its on merits, as being authentic. Whether under a yellow label or not, the signature's vibe is authentic. I can't say that for the majority of Stan's post 01/2016 signatures, some of them appearing so cryptic as to leaving me to wonder how an expert would possibly authentic it if not CGC witnessed!

I stand by my opinion. It's a decent signature, it's legible and readily recognizable as Stan's, certified or not, the placement couldn't be better, and it's on a tremendous piece.

I would think if you made an offer of $6000 for it they would take it in a heartbeat. :baiting:

58 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I would think if you made an offer of $6000 for it they would take it in a heartbeat. :baiting:

Wouldn't be me. I'm an autograph hound. For many years. I started out by inheriting a large autograph collection (political, military, stage and screen, music, etc.) which spurred my interest and I've expanded on. I also love comics and think the two are a perfect match, like a signed canvas. But if I want to own any book in a 9.8 grade, and pay a super premium to own it, it's got to be clean. Free of wear, and that included defacements, which on an item of this value, that signature is, IMO. And it's a defacement whether written by Stan and it says "Stan Lee", or if it's defaced by a kid somewhere, 50 years ago, who wrote his name across the cover.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Wouldn't be me. I'm an autograph hound. For many years. I started out by inheriting a large autograph collection (political, military, stage and screen, music, etc.) which spurred my interest and I've expanded on. I also love comics and think the two are a perfect match, like a signed canvas. But if I want to own any book in a 9.8 grade, and pay a super premium to own it, it's got to be clean. Free of wear, and that included defacements, which on an item of this value, that signature is, IMO. And it's a defacement whether written by Stan and it says "Stan Lee", or if it's defaced by a kid somewhere, 50 years ago, who wrote his name across the cover.

I am confused. I thought you said this book was worth 15 grand. Was that without the signature? Now it appears you are saying the signature ruins the book (it does imo). Either way, I don't know what the GPA value on a non-signed JIM 125 is worth but anything over 10K seems really crazy.

8 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I am confused. I thought you said this book was worth 15 grand. Was that without the signature? Now it appears you are saying the signature ruins the book (it does imo). Either way, I don't know what the GPA value on a non-signed JIM 125 is worth but anything over 10K seems really crazy.

No confusion. I can see someone paying $15K for it that loves signed high grade books of exceptional value. I wouldn't pay $15,000 for a Stan Lee signature and I wouldn't pay $15,000 for a high grade book with a written name on it, artist/creator signature or not. $150 for a nice AS 361 signed by Lee? Different story. Or better yet, something he actually wrote, and get it signed in person so the ink has more personal meaning than just ink.

Edited by James J Johnson