• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canada Post labour dispute threatens mail service

87 posts in this topic

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/canada-post-labour-dispute-threatens-mail-service-1.2957906

An ongoing labour dispute at Canada Post could lead to a disruption in deliveries starting next month.

Canada Post has warned major customers that a disruption could happen as early as July 2, accusing the union of preparing to strike.

"We need a more flexible model," Canada Post spokesperson Jon Hamilton told CTV News.

"We need a model that allows us to deliver on evenings and weekends and peak times without having to pay double time, which is pricing us out of the market."

Both sides are still at the bargaining table, but far apart on key issues. The union is concerned about job security and pension reform, claiming what the company really wants is a lockout.

"The union is currently conducting strike votes across the country, and we are getting prepared in the event that the employer does decide to lock us out," said Jennifer Savage of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.

The dispute comes five years after employees walked off the job over another dispute, only to be legislated back to work. Now the current government is reviewing the postal service, including the future of home delivery, which Canada Post wants to end.

Threats of job action have local businesses like Denman Bike Shop considering a move to other courier services, though it will mean paying a higher price.

"It's incredibly concerning," accountant Rose Walker said. The business ships gear all over the country, almost exclusively with Canada Post."We'd either have to choose to eat some of that extra cost or unfortunately raise our shipping rates on our products."

Yeah Canada Post has been pretty aggressive these past few years as a union. Not sure what to make of it, but practically every neighborhood has boxes now, which I find to be just fine. I still get my larger packages on my doorstep. If they want to get rid of that as well, I don't see the point of delivery. Just make mail electronic.

The damn fliers still find their way onto my step, no matter what signs I put up or what list I add my address to. Pay them to deliver mail then

Purolator used to take over the USPS Expressmail packages once they crossed the border and they sucked royally.

One time I argued with them about only attempting to deliver once (they said that once is all they are contractually obligated to attempt) and that they never left a notice or called.

It's not like I knew that Purolator was handling it. They said that they don't leave notices because they are afraid that someone else would take it and pick up the package. I asked why would this be the case if they just checked ID.

At the end of the day, I talked with a manager who confirmed that although the tracking said that it was returned to the sender, it was still in their warehouse.

I had them forward it to an office close to my work. It was so much better when Canada Post took over delivery of the Expressmail packages.

Never again

Purolator used to take over the USPS Expressmail packages once they crossed the border and they sucked royally.

One time I argued with them about only attempting to deliver once (they said that once is all they are contractually obligated to attempt) and that they never left a notice or called.

It's not like I knew that Purolator was handling it. They said that they don't leave notices because they are afraid that someone else would take it and pick up the package. I asked why would this be the case if they just checked ID.

At the end of the day, I talked with a manager who confirmed that although the tracking said that it was returned to the sender, it was still in their warehouse.

I had them forward it to an office close to my work. It was so much better when Canada Post took over delivery of the Expressmail packages.

Never again

Purolator is HORRIBLE. And their customer service is terrible. I didn't receive notice either, went down to claim it and I had recently moved and didn't have my new address on my DL. They refused me the package unless I gave them a letter from a Government agency to prove I lived at the address it was supposed to be delivered to. I was dumbfounded. Then enraged. If a DL is not proof of who you are, and my name is on a package, then what right do they have to hold it? It was a royal pain and I've refused to deal with them since. Which is pretty funny because that was the only time I've ever dealt with them.

Hi greggy and MetalPSI,

I’m sorry to hear about your negative experience with Purolator.

Notices of delivery should be left at the time of the delivery attempt if there is no one home, unless there isn’t a secure area to do so or a building’s management doesn’t allow us to. If the package is brought back to our local retail, a call is placed to the phone number on the label provided by the sender. If unable to pick up, a second attempt can be requested for a future business day.

When picking up, we do require a valid government issued photo ID with corresponding address. An accompanying proof of address can be presented if the address on the receiver’s driver’s license doesn’t match what is written on the package. For a list of acceptable proof of addresses, please view the following document: http://www.purolator.com/assets/pdf/faq/puro-id-requirements.pdf.

If you have any questions or need help with a shipment, please don’t hesitate to email us at customer.care@purolator.com.

Thank you,

Jeremie

Social Media Coordinator / Customer Care Team

Purolator Inc.

E-mail: customer.care@purolator.com

www.Purolator.com

Follow us on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/purolatorhelp

Hi greggy and MetalPSI,

Notices of delivery should be left at the time of the delivery attempt if there is no one home, unless there isn’t a secure area to do so or a building’s management doesn’t allow us to. If the package is brought back to our local retail, a call is placed to the phone number on the label provided by the sender. If unable to pick up, a second attempt can be requested for a future business day.

When picking up, we do require a valid government issued photo ID with corresponding address. An accompanying proof of address can be presented if the address on the receiver’s driver’s license doesn’t match what is written on the package. For a list of acceptable proof of addresses, please view the following document: http://www.purolator.com/assets/pdf/faq/puro-id-requirements.pdf.

If you have any questions or need help with a shipment, please don’t hesitate to email us at customer.care@purolator.com.

Thank you,

Jeremie

Purolator Inc.

www.Purolator.com

Follow us on Twitter:

WTTB!

Hi greggy and MetalPSI,

Thank you,

Jeremie

Purolator Inc.

www.Purolator.com

Follow us on Twitter:

How the Hell did you find this thread?

Hi greggy and MetalPSI,

Thank you,

Jeremie

Purolator Inc.

www.Purolator.com

Follow us on Twitter:

How the Hell did you find this thread?

that's exactly what I was thinking... someone gets paid to read misc. threads for a negative purolator comment to spring up then pounces to defend.

I wonder how often these employees answer the 'call of duty'

Q: Does anyone know the eBay rules around shipping during a labour disruption with Canada Post or is it on the seller to make alternative arrangements as that could have a significant impact on stated shipping costs...I know I could call them but hoping someone else has the info so I don't have to wait on hold ;)

Q: Does anyone know the eBay rules around shipping during a labour disruption with Canada Post or is it on the seller to make alternative arrangements as that could have a significant impact on stated shipping costs...I know I could call them but hoping someone else has the info so I don't have to wait on hold ;)

As far as I know there are no required changes, however customers (US) might get excited their stuff takes extra time compared to normal and be even more in a fit they don't have it the next day.

As far as I know there are no required changes, however customers (US) might get excited their stuff takes extra time compared to normal and be even more in a fit they don't have it the next day.

Soooo....Ebay won't allow buyers to ding our star rating if it ships outside of stated shipping times during a labour dispute? :wishluck: