• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canada Post labour dispute threatens mail service

87 posts in this topic

Latest news (that mgmt refused a 2-week extension) leads me to believe we'll see a lock-out this week-end.

Does anybody here have any idea as to what the dispute is about this time, since it's been about 5 years since the last labor disruption? hm

I believe the biggest dispute is over the pension. Canada Post wants to remove the defined payment pension plan for new employees.

Oh, I see what the Corporation is asking for. (thumbs u

This is actually the same thing they asked for during the last set of negotiations, but ended up dropping this demand by the time it was all said and done. I actually think the union is going to end up losing on this one eventually as it is being targeted for new employees only, since the defined benefit pension plan would simply be grandfathered in for the current employees. Big attack on the pension plan although in actuality, it is doing just fine. (shrug)

The Corporation already took this pension plan away from the new management employees several years ago. For all management employees they also took away their pre-retirement leave, cut back their vacation leave, made employees responsible for paying 100% of their health care coverage cost upon retirement, etc. Ah, the joys of working for management as opposed to having union protection. lol

Union members have given up quite a bit over the last few contracts and it will continue. It's a dying industry.

Yes, although letter mail is certainly slowly eroding away, it should be pointed out that the high margin parcel business is growing quite nicely with no end in sight yet. Especially with the internet commerce that is booming along which can do nothing but help Canada Post since they are by far the largest provider of parcel services in Canada.

Yes, although union members are slowly giving back benefits over the last few contracts, it is like a drop in the bucket compared to all of the job losses, reduced or forego wage increases, and significant benefits elimination which the higher up management employees were all forced to endured.

Of course, the rationale was that management employees at the end of the day had one thing that the unionized employees did not have and that was job satisfaction. lol:screwy:

Good I will get all my stuff that is in the system by then. Then I hope they get this over and done with since I have a bunch of stuff I told sellers to hold for me till this is over with (sellers from the U.S).