• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your bag and boarding best practices?

20 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Wanted to get some opinions as I'm about to re-up my bags and boards. Most of my collecting life, I just put everything in silver age bags and boards. More recently, I switched to modern bags and boards for my Wednesday purchases. I've found the quality of these to be a bit hit or miss. The last batch of boards I got left a little too much extra room in the bag and the books have a slight overhang. I use polypropylene for everything as I just can't justify paying $1 a bag for mylar on common books. So my questions:

-Do you bag your new comic purchases in modern bags and boards, or do you toss everything in the oversized silver?

-what brand do you go with for polypropylene bags and boards?

-How worried would you be if the board isnt totally snug in your modern bag?

Been collecting for 25 years, so I'm no noob, just wanted to get some opinions before I reup on my bags and boards

I think the last ones I bought were BCW Moderns from Amazon. I like the ones that have the seal on the back so I don't have to worry about taping it. They were a little tighter fit than I expected, especially when books have an added preview, but I like them overall.

I think the last ones I bought were BCW Moderns from Amazon. I like the ones that have the seal on the back so I don't have to worry about taping it. They were a little tighter fit than I expected, especially when books have an added preview, but I like them overall.

Yea, I agree I like the resealables, one less step for me to add tape. I think I've bought BCW before with good results. My last batch was some off brand bags and some boards with no packaging. Bought from my local comic shop just so I could throw them the business instead of amazon. Guess I learned my lesson

I get mine from Bags Unlimited.

I found the "New Comic" sizes to be too tight for my liking, so I go with their Regular Marvel (Resealable) bags, which are a bit bigger, but still a bit smaller than Silver, and the corresponding size backer boards to go with them.

I think all the Modern Age comic bags are too tight. Comics barely fit and I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of storage damage down the road thanks to these bags.

I found the "New Comic" sizes to be too tight for my liking, so I go with their Regular Marvel (Resealable) bags, which are a bit bigger, but still a bit smaller than Silver, and the corresponding size backer boards to go with them.

I think all the Modern Age comic bags are too tight. Comics barely fit and I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of storage damage down the road thanks to these bags.

Are you talking about the back of comics rubbing the ink to the board because of the tightness of those super tight modern bags?

Silver age bags and boards for my inexpensive coppers and moderns. I've never liked "current" boards because they cut it too close to the edge of the book. I've thrown back many bin books because the boards were too small, and the bottom corners of the book were bumped.

Are you talking about the back of comics rubbing the ink to the board because of the tightness of those super tight modern bags?

No, more that the bags are very tight along the spine and opposite edge of comics.

Some of those resealable bags have seams on the backside of the bag that can leave indentations on the front cover of the book placed behind them. Do not tightly pack those books in longboxes and do not stack more than a few vertically.

On modern books I use BCW silver age bags and E. Gerber backing boards. The BCW bags have a nice snug fit but not too tight. I would recommend BCW bags over any others.

On older books mylite 2's with E Gerber backing boards.

Anything that I am keeping, regardless of age, I put in an M2 with a fully buffered full-back.

Might seem expensive but buying cheaper bags/boards and having to do it more often is a false economy.

I go 725 size. Looks great, fits a modern box & is uniform across most books.

Recommend PMing Drew : http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=14313

Some of those resealable bags have seams on the backside of the bag that can leave indentations on the front cover of the book placed behind them. Do not tightly pack those books in longboxes and do not stack more than a few vertically.

I've never had this problem and I've been using them for close to ten years. My long boxes are packed too.

What brand were you using? I used Midtowns version at first and then found BCW about 6 or so years ago and have been using them ever since.

If the moderns are close enough to the size of the silver-age comics, I use the same materials for both.

Mostly I deal with golden-age books. For those I keep a supply of thick mylars, with thick (0.40) acid-buffered backings, and microchamber paper (at least 2 sheets near front and back, sometimes extra if it's a 52-page comic or larger).

BagsUnlimited is a great company that has all kinds of comic supplies at multiple levels of thickness/etc., and in just about any size you can think of. Their customer service is very attentive and helpful, and they also have all sorts of display materials, comic boxes, sleeves for CGC holders, and materials for pulps, paperbacks, vinyl records, posters, original art, etc.

Anything that I am keeping, regardless of age, I put in an M2 with a fully buffered full-back.

Might seem expensive but buying cheaper bags/boards and having to do it more often is a false economy.

I go 725 size. Looks great, fits a modern box & is uniform across most books.

Recommend PMing Drew : http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=14313

Thanks Dan! :hi:

As far as the OP is concerned, if he insists on polypropylene bags, I would get whatever size would fit the Gerber Standard 7" wide board. I would not use any other board, since Gerber's buffered throughout board is not much more expensive than the coated boards available at most comic shops. The Gerber board should last several decades with moderns, as opposed to the 2-3 years recommended by coated board manufacturers.

-Do you bag your new comic purchases in modern bags and boards, or do you toss everything in the oversized silver?

-what brand do you go with for polypropylene bags and boards?

-How worried would you be if the board isnt totally snug in your modern bag?

I use Silver age polypropylene bags and acid free at the time of manufacture boards for my moderns. The modern bags n boards are just too snug for my taste, especially if I stray from the big two. Cramming them into current or modern bags n boards meant color loss on the back cover.

It used to bother me the amount of play in the SA bag and board, but for me personally this is better than the alternative. And many years later the books in both bags look fine.

There was a time when there were four sizes available, current, regular, silver, and gold. And some GA books wouldn't fit into Gold, and the only alternative I found was Super Gold mylars. I always sized the comic to the proper bag.

The true Silver seems to have gone away, both bags and boards, at least from my LCS, and I don't mess around much with current books any more, so everything goes into Regular or Gold, depending, with the Super Gold mylars for anything too big to fit.