• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's SILVER SABLE & BLACK CAT (TBD)
2 2

70 posts in this topic

While speaking with ScreenRant about her work on the upcoming Marvel Television and Freeform series Cloak & Dagger, director Gina Prince-Bythewood spoke about where she's at on Silver & Black.

"The update is just really pounding out the -script. It all starts with the -script," said Prince-Bythewood. "You gotta have a great -script so we want to make sure that's right before we jump in."

This is the latest update for the movie ever since the new writers were announced to be involved with the project in February.

Sony will either revisit this film, or have Black Cat as a standalone film.

Sony's plans are not through yet, not by a long shot, as they continue to expand the spinoffs to some of Spidey's most popular allies and foes. And while the original plan for Silver & Black might have fallen through, producer Amy Pascal revealed that there are still plans to give Black Cat her own solo film.

"I like Black Cat a lot, I think she is a really great character," Pascal explained to ScreenRant. "We had her a little bit in the Amazing [Spider-Man] movie, but she’s kind of that character that we didn’t really turn into the Black Cat yet. I think that’s a really great character".

Silver & Black was originally meant to team up Felicia Hardy with the mercenary Silver Sable, another one of Spidey's frenemies. The film was to be directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood before the project fell apart and was seemingly scrapped.

But ScreenRant asked Pascal about the project and she revealed that it's not exactly dead in the water just yet.

"We’re still working on that. I think we have plans for that," Pascal said.

Silver & Black suffered a lot of setbacks in recent years and was rumored to be stuck in development hell. Prince-Bythewood recently spoke out about the film and explained that they were doing whatever it took to crack the story, but these comments came before the film was reportedly shelved.

"With Silver & Black, when you’re doing a film of that magnitude, it’s gotta be right. And if it’s not right, we actually collectively decided to go back to the drawing board and start over," Prince-Bythewood said. "That’s gonna take time. So obviously, I’d love to be shooting right now, but to be shooting something that I know is not as good as it can be, I’m not the type that wants to shoot something you’re rewriting, as you’re shooting. So, we have to get the -script right, and I’m okay to wait. I may be shooting something before that, but it really is just get the -script right before we go on that journey."

Black Cat & Silver Sable Movie May Become A Disney+ Show, Says Director

Silver-Sable-and-Black-Cat.jpg?q=50&fit=

Speaking to THR about the 20th anniversary of her acclaimed sports drama-romance Love & Basketball, Prince-Bythewood offered a small update on the Black Cat & Silver Sable movie. After confirming it had been split into two films, Prince-Bythewood revealed "Now, there’s a thought of 'Hey, maybe we put it on Disney+ as a limited series,' but I loved it more as a film with the two [characters]. So, my hope is that one day it can still happen."

Last we heard, Black Cat and Silver Sable were still owned by Sony, which raises the question of why (or, rather, how) they would end up starring in a Disney+ series. The studio and Disney reached a fresh agreement to share the rights to Spider-Man last year, but it's still the former that produces the web-slinger's MCU films and reaps the majority of their profits. It wouldn't make financial sense for them to develop a Disney+ show, in other words. Then again, perhaps there's something in Sony and Disney's new Spider-Man deal that opens the door for them to collaborate on a project like this. After all, Black Cat and Silver Sable aren't exactly household names the way other Spider-Man antiheroes are, so Sony might be inclined to work something out with Disney, allowing them to be adapted for streaming instead.

hm

GamesRadar+ spoke to The Old Guard director about bringing Silver Sable and Black Cat to the big screen

Following the success of both Venom and the new Spider-Man movies, sony has been fast-tracking their own Marvel universe. Next comes Morbius, starring Jared Leto as the eponymous vampiric anti-hero. After that, a sequel to Venom, and a whole roster of new superhero movies, including ones on Silver Sable and Black Cat.

The female duo were originally scheduled to appear in a movie together, yet plans have since changed and the last we heard Sony was developing solo movies for both heroes. Gina Prince-Bythewood, who was on board to direct Silver & Black but will seemingly now only remain on as producer, recently teased that the project could be turned into a Disney Plus series.

While promoting her new project The Old Guard – a Netflix movie about immortal beings who protect the Earth though have become somewhat disheartened by the state of the world – GamesRadar+ asked Prince-Bythewood about the future of Silver & Black during a roundtable discussion.

"My honest answer is I don't know," she revealed. "I really love those characters, I loved having them together. I thought, what we came up with was a really good, really organic way to have the two together. That world is changing so much because of the success of the Spider-Man films. 

"There's a question of, 'Can you really have these films with Spider-Man not in them? Should he at least have some sort of part in them?' That's always the question. I've taken two years off of that for [The Old Guard] so once this gets out into the world, I hope it's a success, and then I'll certainly go back and start talking with them again." 

It's interesting that Sony has begun pushing for Tom Holland's Spider-Man to appear in each movie. We know that Michael Keaton's Vulture will have a role Morbius, reprising his role from Spider-Man: Homecoming, but this seems to hint that Sony fully intends to integrate their upcoming projects with Spidey's world. Could this all be building to a big Sinister Six movie, bringing together all Spider-man's villains? We wouldn't put it past the studio who famously set up the evil group, only to not carry them through. 

Meanwhile, The Old Guard reaches Netflix on July 10.