• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Kirby Thor Comic Cover Art Pops Up in British Toy Figure Auction Catalogue

27 posts in this topic

What did it go for?

If I'm doing the math right, looks like 44,280 GBP, or about $60.6K at the current post-Brexit spot exchange rate (banks will typically add on a healthy spread, though, as I learned to my dismay from making a couple of intl. payments last week).

Yes, I almost thought my half would be a boost as the pound was tanking, but it didn't matter in the end!

I'm not a high roller like you Gene, I need additional sources offunds once the $$ gets high! Plus the auction was in the UK, it was more hassle to deal with that from this side of the pond.

Malvin

The owner of that cover contacted me late last year, and was extremely surprised when I told her the value.

However, with her in the UK, and me in the States, there was no way she was going to send to me, as she stated, she didn't trust anyone.

She wouldn't even go for having a middleman in the UK go to her house and give her cash. She didn't trust anyone.

So I told her to put into a local auction, which she did.

MI

Wow, interesting background, thanks for sharing.

I can understand her not trusting anyone, but I'm surprised that she wasn't keen on getting cash when she handed over the piece. I don't see any issues there.

Malvin

I can understand her not trusting anyone, but I'm surprised that she wasn't keen on getting cash when she handed over the piece. I don't see any issues there.

Malvin

She was probably worried that the people bringing over the cash would not really be bringing any cash but instead would rob her.

Malvin

She was probably worried that the people bringing over the cash would not really be bringing any cash but instead would rob her.

Or, unless she was the one setting the selling price, that anything she was offered was too little.

Malvin

Or, unless she was the one setting the selling price, that anything she was offered was too little.

ok, maybe that makes more sense, although she got lucky, if it was a smaller auction house it might really have gone under the radar. The robbing part.. well, meet at the police station!

Malvin

I've found several nice comic collections over the years, and when people don't know anything about them, they tend to think any offer they get must be too low. I've gone so far as to give out free copies of the latest price guide, explain grading, etc so they can wrap their heads around it.

They tend to become more paranoid, worried and afraid the larger the offer you make.

The robbing part.. well, meet at the police station!

Transacting 10s of thousands of dollars in cash in front of the police? Yeah, that won`t make any cops suspicious! lol

I've found several nice comic collections over the years, and when people don't know anything about them, they tend to think any offer they get must be too low. I've gone so far as to give out free copies of the latest price guide, explain grading, etc so they can wrap their heads around it.

They tend to become more paranoid, worried and afraid the larger the offer you make.

Finally, Chuck has his justification for paying cover price for the Church collection!

The robbing part.. well, meet at the police station!

Transacting 10s of thousands of dollars in cash in front of the police? Yeah, that won`t make any cops suspicious! lol

It's a legitimate transaction. It's not illegal or anything.

Malvin

Finally, Chuck has his justification for paying cover price for the Church collection!

How many times have you bought direct from people that have zero idea about FMV Tim? What Chris is describing does happen. I've made reasonable offers, had them accepted, then reneged the day later with new prices triple the old for example.

People in this position don't price according to what the item(s is or are worth, they price it according to what will make a difference in their lives. When values are truly unknown, no price guide, no eBay, nothing to refer to at all... the guy with five pieces worth 2k each wants 10k and the guy with 50 pieces worth 2k each (though he doesn't know that) also wants 10k. Heck the guy with one piece worth 2k (again he doesn't know that) wants 10k too. It's a two way street.

Church buy - everyone's got their own opinion on that. But I think 99% of collectors would have done what chuck did and I really don't blame him. Offer/acceptance.