• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A swoon worthy picture.

58 posts in this topic

isn't this a hobby of nearmints ? the collecting of old comic book photos I mean ?

I used to have a page on my website where I posted them all for everyone to enjoy. Then I got a nasty cease and desist order from one of the copyright holders and a bill for $6000, so I took it down. :(

Ugh. I remember that. :(

isn't this a hobby of nearmints ? the collecting of old comic book photos I mean ?

I used to have a page on my website where I posted them all for everyone to enjoy. Then I got a nasty cease and desist order from one of the copyright holders and a bill for $6000, so I took it down. :(

:o:o:o

Wha......??!!! Why.....??!!........That's astonishing !! :o:o

Basically, if you post copyrighted material online without permission, the copyright holder can charge whatever he or she wants as a licensing fee. Many regular people are getting hit with bills for thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. The copyright holders are using automated software to scan the web for reproductions of their copyrighted images.

Basicaly, if you post copyrighted material online without permission, the copyright holder can charge whatever he or she wants as a licensing fee. Many regular people are getting hit with bills for thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. The copyright holders are using automated software to scan the web for reproductions of their copyrighted images.

Even if you are not using the picture to make money ?? Just posting it as a joke or to make a point? Just about every "person, place or thing" has an images tab when you google it. Dang.... my own avatar is probably copyrighted :mad:

Those are 1952 Topps Baseball boxes. Each box has 24 packs. Each of those boxes, in todays market, I think is around $300,000.00 each.

So it looks like each row is is on average 15 boxes....lets say there are 150 there total.

Thats 45,000,000.00 in cards on that table in todays market.

ouch.....45 mil....

The flaw in the logic is that if those were all available in today's market, their value would be nowhere near that. The scarcity aspect would be shot.

Imagine if you found a printer's shipping box of high grade Action 1s. Your best bet would be to tell nobody and release them slowly into the market over the course of decades.

The story of Mr. Mint finding a case of 1952 Topps is a good read.

http://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/7813/pulp-non-fiction-famous-1952-topps-baseball-find

Thanks for posting! I would collect baseball cards if I found something like that! :cloud9:

About 3 years after this picture was taken, Action #1 was released. I wonder how many were printed, and how widely they were distributed? If you were in the right place, at the right time, you (or, rather, your granddad) could have bought it for a dime. And then, if he had the vision and foresight, and you were a very good boy, he could have saved it for YOU, his favorite grandson! And today you would be a millionaire. Or a collector that puts Nic Cage to shame.

I

Here's some questions for the experts:

Are there any legitimate pictures of Action #1 for sale on a newsstand?

What are the earliest comic books pictured for sale?

What is the most valuable vintage comic book shown for sale on a newsstand?

I have not seen any legitimate newsstand pics of action 1 yet.

Here again is a really cool pic of a legendary early Los Angeles comic book store circa 1965.

How many key books can you spot?

cherokee_burt.jpg

I think it's interesting that Jumbo 1 has the spotlight.

Those are 1952 Topps Baseball boxes. Each box has 24 packs. Each of those boxes, in todays market, I think is around $300,000.00 each.

So it looks like each row is is on average 15 boxes....lets say there are 150 there total.

ouch.....45 mil....

The flaw in the logic is that if those were all available in today's market, their value would be nowhere near that. The scarcity aspect would be shot.

Imagine if you found a printer's shipping box of high grade Action 1s. Your best bet would be to tell nobody and release them slowly into the market over the course of decades.

Honestly, I dont think that the market would be that much diminished by finding 100+ boxes. The value is in the cards. The market could easily handle an influx of 100+ Mantles rookies in high grade , as well as other cards that would all be graded.

But i do see your point, Im just saying "what if" lol.

Any chance it was Masterfile?

ouch.....45 mil....

Honestly, I dont think that the market would be that much diminished by finding 100+ boxes. The value is in the cards. The market could easily handle an influx of 100+ Mantles rookies in high grade , as well as other cards that would all be graded.

But i do see your point, Im just saying "what if" lol.

I agree. Diminishing returns wouldn't be a factor in such a hypothetical scenario as there is such a high demand for sealed packs from that year that even though there would be 150 boxes hitting the market, it would be absorbed, and likely all at once. If such a fnd would ever occur, I guarantee there would be more than a handful of players that would go to great lengths to secure it in it's entirety, and compensate appropriately to remove any thought of breaking it up.

And again, 1952 Topps ISNT mantles rookie...and whats worse even though is that card is a double print. Yet its so iconic like the rest of the set it goes for 6 figures in high grade. A 51 bowman is a fraction of that, as a true RC.

And again, 1952 Topps ISNT mantles rookie...and whats worse even though is that card is a double print. Yet its so iconic like the rest of the set it goes for 6 figures in high grade. A 51 bowman is a fraction of that, as a true RC.

I hear you, but the market has already decided on that one. I'm pretty certain that the link someone posted about Rosen's 1952 Topps case was reportedly the actual case where the most valuable 1952 Topps card was pulled.

Who sent you the cease and desist order?

Who sent you the cease and desist order?

The original thread discussing it got *poofed* but here is some aftermath. Info.

On 6/29/2016 at 3:19 AM, nearmint said:

That’s crazy!