• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy 15 & Brexit

124 posts in this topic

Amazing fantasy 15 in cgc 7.5 goes from $7500 to $75,000 in 15 years

But when this global economy resets (and it will) based on true real disposable income.... I dunno about this book maintaining its value in the medium term

I don't think the comic book market has seen a secular bear market ever. Silver and golden age books have been steadily marching only upwards since fandom began.

Amazing fantasy 15 is such just 1 example. There are so many copies out there. The demand is there today but it's not a rare comic book by any stretch

Some people will sell out of necessity if the economy turns. And it's not Action 1 or Detective 27- which truly are rare

Remember price is set on the margin !!! ---->

Double entendre and pun not intended

But when this global economy resets (and it will) based on true real disposable income.... I dunno about this book maintaining its value in the medium term

I don't think the comic book market has seen a secular bear market ever. Silver and golden age books have been steadily marching only upwards since fandom began.

Amazing fantasy 15 is such just 1 example. There are so many copies out there. The demand is there today but it's not a rare comic book by any stretch

Some people will sell out of necessity if the economy turns. And it's not Action 1 or Detective 27- which truly are rare

Ummm... you do remember 7-8 years ago, don't you? Recession, bear market, record foreclosures, people out of work for extended periods of time, etc?

Actually isn't that right around the time when AF 15 took off and made a big jump?

Yup, I'm totally onboard with your logic that Brexit will cause the demise of the comic market and this book in particular.

Ummm... you do remember 7-8 years ago, don't you? Recession, bear market, record foreclosures, people out of work for extended periods of time, etc?

Actually isn't that right around the time when AF 15 took off and made a big jump?

Yup, I'm totally onboard with your logic that Brexit will cause the demise of the comic market and this book in particular.

Again - u know the difference between a cyclical bear market and a secular bear market ?

Geez guys

That's the thing, depending on who you ask, some will say we are already in a secular bear market...

I think topics like this are interesting and worth discussing, but at the end of the day, we might as well be trying to time the market.

Just to provide definition to everyone :

A secular bear market is characterized by below average stock market returns as characterized by the S&P 500 for a long time, typically ten to twenty years. On the other hand, a cyclical bear market typically lasts from a few months to a year.

-bc

A secular bear market is characterized by below average stock market returns as characterized by the S&P 500 for a long time, typically ten to twenty years. On the other hand, a cyclical bear market typically lasts from a few months to a year.

-bc

So which are we in?

Just as food for thought, with negative interest rates in key economies and multiple levels of global uncertainty, the idea about moving equities to good ole gold or other physical assets (real estate, art, collectibles) becomes more and more appealing.

Even though the recession started in 2008, didn't comic values spike well into 2009-2010 before things settled down other than keys (same time when the typical equity markets rebounded/stabilized)?

-bc

-bc

So which are we in?

By this graph of the S&P 500 over it's lifetime, my laymans opinion is that it's a cyclical bear market :

sp500_zpscsbmpd3o.png

Again, not a professional - please consult a real financial planner for real advice :)

-bc

That's the thing, depending on who you ask, some will say we are already in a secular bear market...

I think topics like this are interesting and worth discussing, but at the end of the day, we might as well be trying to time the market.

The point I am trying to hi light is the supply side of certain books.

I love amazing fantasy 15

But it's not rare

It's not action 1 or detective 27

And selling begets more selling in a down turn

You are looking to buy one for cheap hey well that time has long passed and there will be no going back....sorry to tell you!! If you missed the boat then simply accept it and stop hoping the world will fall and you will get a great deal on a AF15......economies always bounce back.....and if they should happen not to your last concern will be owning a AF15 (you will wish you just had the very minimum basics like water and a bit of food everyday and security....maybe at that point we will be using comics to wipe our buts due to lack of toilet paper.....hmmm wonder how they would grade those and what the graders notes would say....would they create brown labels....lol)!!

Edited by Hulk1962

The supply side is higher than the top 2 books, but this book is at least somewhat obtainable. The other 2 books might as well not exist for collectors...

So the people who have a lot of money are not collectors...sorry I mean TRUE collectors?

Edited by Hulk1962

Many times we confuse business and economics with hobbies. This is primarily a hobby not a business. If you're worried about how Brexit will impact your comic collection maybe you need to spend your dollars elsewhere. :makepoint:

Many times we confuse business and economics with hobbies. This is primarily a hobby not a business. If you're worried about how Brexit will impact your comic collection maybe you need to spend your dollars elsewhere. :makepoint:

Exactly!! Our you could wait to buy one of those CGC brown labels I mentioned above!!

Edited by Hulk1962

The supply side is higher than the top 2 books, but this book is at least somewhat obtainable. The other 2 books might as well not exist for collectors...

So the people who have a lot of money are not collectors...sorry I mean TRUE collectors?

Of course they are. I'm saying it's not exactly fair game comparing AF15 to the other two. Most well to do people may be able to afford a nice copy of AF15, not sure that can be said about an Action 1 or Tec27 in comparable grade or even a lower grade.

Exactly!! Our you could wait to buy one of those CGC brown labels I mentioned above!!

:facepalm: