• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question re: Coollines Starman #1000000 cover

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

Long time listener and first time caller.

Long story short: I'm thinking of buying the Starman #1,000,000 cover from the Coollines. I did a lot of research on how to work with the DonnellysCoollines, including reading multiple archive threads on this website. I know that the cover is at the higher end of what I want to pay, but the issue has some sentimental value that I think makes up for the price. In my research, I noticed that someone made a reference to this cover when discussing how the Donnellys like to alter their artwork with false stats, etc and was hoping that someone who knew the specifics regarding this piece could let me know some of the history and provenance and let me know what I should be aware of before completing the transaction.

Again, I know the Coollines tends to be both shady and overpriced, so this doesn't need to be a Donnelly hate thread. I would prefer to support almost anyone else, but as I said the piece has some sentimental value that I am willing to pay up for as long as the alterations (if any) haven't damaged the piece.

Thank you!

Did you work with Coollines directly, or are you hoping to buy it through the Comiclink listing? I noticed the Comiclink listing states " Logo, mechanicals, ship on overlay", but that info is not on the Coollines website. Just wanted to make sure you had that information.

Good luck, it's always nice to see if someone can acquire a piece that has sentimental value to them.

The things that prompted me to consider buying this piece at this moment is that I saw the listing on eBay, but have been admiring it on their website, CAF, and Comiclink for ages. Quite frankly, I would prefer buying through eBay for the eBay bucks and additional protection via PayPal and eBay. I emailed awhile ago asking about the piece in general terms (condition, asking for a picture instead of a black and white scan, price, etc), and never got a response from either brother. The eBay listing helped me get an idea of the price they were looking for, and like I said it is in my range, but there were a couple of red flags that prevented me from pulling the trigger before the listing ended. I remembered that someone on the Coollines thread mentioned this specific piece and figured that it was worth it to wait and get informed rather than spending a good chunk of money on something that has been significantly altered.

You know that Tony Harris is both on Facebook and CAF (though it may be his art rep that runs the CAF account). In any event this means that an alternative course of action would be to contact Tony and ask him about the original art he created versus digital/practical add-ons (meaning at least you'll know what was on the piece of paper he originally sent DC).

I watched the piece move around before the Donnellys got it. The art is only the figure is I recall, and some of the weird lines. The other stuff is likely on overlay but I do not know for sure.

It may be good to edit down your posts to take out anything that talks about personal desire.

and be prepared to......

giphy.gif

It may be good to edit down your posts to take out anything that talks about personal desire.

and be prepared to......

giphy.gif

Yeah, despite my post count this isn't my first rodeo and I thought long and hard before I posted. If I were that interested in the piece, I would have kept my mouth shut, snapped it up on eBay and hoped for the best or asked for info while I was still within the refund period for PayPal. I was more in a "maybe interested, but at that price I want to know more" stage and if the price gets jacked up, so be it. There are other pieces that I can put the money towards that I have just as much (if not more) sentimental attachment to.

BTW great gif!

The one man bidding war begins. :)

It doesn't hurt to inquire or lay down an offer, it costs nothing.

Just don't get caught up in paying more than you are comfortable paying or can afford.

If the price is higher than you like... You're best off right clicking the image and saving it on your computer to appreciate the image and skip the idea of owning the original art.

Crazy business were a piece can sit with virtually no interest and then 1 person shows a speck of interest and speculation/price goes wild. Almost leaves no room for just comradery with fellow OA collectors. To me, talking about pieces, speculating on buying or appreciating a piece for sale is half the fun. The buyers remorse is supposed to come after not before :)

I hope you get your piece and for a fair price. I never have bought a piece from coollines because I refuse to call a business that wont set prices on there products until someone calls.

Crazy business were a piece can sit with virtually no interest and then 1 person shows a speck of interest and speculation/price goes wild.

It makes sense if the "dealer" part of their lives is subordinate to the "collector" part. That's my theory anyway.

I have actually purchased many things from the D bros.

Never particularly a fun experience, always felt like I have been taken for a ride; but I look at what I paid for things in 2012 and I cant help but think it was (NOW) a reasonable price.

I think they just remain ahead of their time, sure, sometimes decades, but the prices seem to catch up.