• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little DCBS rant

40 posts in this topic

It's not clear to me that you ever asked for a credit, you said you asked for a replacement.

Apparently this is something they are unable to do. And I don't see anywhere in their reply where they said "it's not our problem". (shrug)

Let me re-post their response, since you missed that part the first time:

Hi Joe,

The remaining copies we have in stock are in the same condition, which tells me that this is how we received all of these books. We apologize, but we will not be able to offer a replacement or credit.

Thank you for your business!

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

XXXXXX

They won't replace it & they won't credit it. That's kind of the definition of "not our problem".

You're correct that I didn't ask for a credit. I did only ask for a replacement, however their 2nd response about not offering replacement OR credit kind of directly implies "too bad, not our problem". Sure, I could still offer to ship the original back, but seeing as how I was told "no credit", why would I waste my money shipping it back just to not get credit for it anyway? That's just throwing good money after bad, as far as I'm concerned.

Joe,

I know the feeling. I'm currently going through a similar situation, however I have not been updated on the status of the remaining books in their inventory. I received 2 copies of items I was planning on getting signed tomorrow and slabbed soon as there will be a witness at the event. Now, I'm screwed out of that and the books sit in limbo as well. They were unwilling to respond to emails in a timely manner last week to offer any resolution and don't have any phone number contact to complete business in a speedy fashion. The artist event also has a discounted rate for signatures than his normal convention rate.

Simple Google search provides you with their phone number: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dcbs+comics

So where you going next TFAW, Midtown, Mile High, MCS?

Order the same book from all 4 and see if they take your return?

That way you can find the online shop you like.

Midtown will absolutely refund your money on a bad book. Its happened to me twice and they didn't even ask me to return the books (not that they, or anybody else, would want them).

+1. One time a fill-in mailman bent my books in half to stuff them into the mailbox. I contacted Midtown and got all new books even though it wasn't their fault.

I don't know. It seems like everyone is a flipper these days and with the 9.8 or it's garbage mentality my guess is they get way too many requests like this. Maybe they have a policy in place to ask for pictures and unless it really is damaged and not just a few spine ticks they can't really afford to refund every single request.

I get you're not flipping it and want a nice copy for the PC but I think you have to look at it from their perspective too. I think you're making a mistake too because in my limited experience DCBS has always had the nicest books. Sure you can go somewhere else that MAY refund you but if it happens more often is it really worth it?

9R78

So where you going next TFAW, Midtown, Mile High, MCS?

Order the same book from all 4 and see if they take your return?

That way you can find the online shop you like.

Midtown will absolutely refund your money on a bad book. Its happened to me twice and they didn't even ask me to return the books (not that they, or anybody else, would want them).

Midtown will refund you but damn if they don't give you a hassle. They package items so well but send damaged stuff so often. And their info email sometimes bounces back with a failure notice. I'm waiting to return about 15 books that arrived in dented, damaged, or bent condition after the purchase states F or VF.

Doc,

Yes, I've done that. The number is someones cell phone which has a full VM. On top of that, after asking the customer service rep who responded to my emails 3 different times over 3 separate emails, she pretty much stated as such that, no, they do not use the phone nor bother answering it as everything can be solved via email. I'd have no problem with that mindset if I was able to receive more than one email response in a 24 hour period. Had they rectified the matter last week when I communicated to them as soon as I opened the package and provided photos, I'd have the book in hand for the event tomorrow. Unfortunately, they dropped the ball a bit.

I got a response from their co-owner (I'm guessing my response to their "sorry, can't do anything for you" email got passed up the food chain) and was offered the opportunity to return it for credit this time. While it's still not ideal (I would like to have just had it replaced, but obviously that's not an option), it's definitely satisfactory.

So it might have taken a little haranguing & a clear ultimatum to make it right or I'd take my (admittedly meager, by some standards) business elsewhere but I eventually got a satisfactory outcome. (or someone pointed them to this thread, however little it means, and they didn't like the bad press)

So good on them. This works for me. I'll have a small hole in my collection for a little while, but eventually I'll find a copy at a store or elsewhere online that doesn't have some gnarly damage on the spine (and these aren't just spine tics, they're straight up bends. And with the cardstock cover, it amplifies how badly they stick out, which sucks.)

I mean, I don't exactly expect 9.8's or anything. But I won't accept 8.0's either. A solid 9.4 is what should be expected as the standard fare for a brand new unread straight-from-the-box-into-a-bag-and-board book.

Doc,

Yes, I've done that. The number is someones cell phone which has a full VM. On top of that, after asking the customer service rep who responded to my emails 3 different times over 3 separate emails, she pretty much stated as such that, no, they do not use the phone nor bother answering it as everything can be solved via email. I'd have no problem with that mindset if I was able to receive more than one email response in a 24 hour period. Had they rectified the matter last week when I communicated to them as soon as I opened the package and provided photos, I'd have the book in hand for the event tomorrow. Unfortunately, they dropped the ball a bit.

Okay, that's just inexcusable.

Yup, is what it is at this point. The worst part is I called the LCS today and found out the witness will be there and I recently (2 days ago) purchased my membership to the CGC so I was pumped to started getting items slabbed and protected within my PC. I had purchased the books well over a month ago too.

Really your kidding right? You didn't just throw a huge fit over this did you?

You cant have just gone nuclear over this. Its a production issue. All the books have it.

DCBS has been nothing but perfect for me for years.

+1. Quit your whining, move on, it's one book. Jesus.

You cant have just gone nuclear over this. Its a production issue. All the books have it.

+1. Quit your whining, move on, it's one book. Jesus.

You wanna throw your money away? Be my guest. Don't even begin to tell me what to do with mine, son.

almost every copy of civil war 2 was damaged. not just DCBS. Everywhere

How does that happen?

It doesn't. i got 75 copies for my store and none of them were damaged.

So those that said ALL the books are like that.....haven't a clue. Thanks for the clarification. ;)

:baiting:

It's not clear to me that you ever asked for a credit, you said you asked for a replacement.

Apparently this is something they are unable to do. And I don't see anywhere in their reply where they said "it's not our problem". (shrug)

Let me re-post their response, since you missed that part the first time:

Hi Joe,

The remaining copies we have in stock are in the same condition, which tells me that this is how we received all of these books. We apologize, but we will not be able to offer a replacement or credit.

Thanks,

XXXXXX

They won't replace it & they won't credit it. That's kind of the definition of "not our problem".

You're correct that I didn't ask for a credit. I did only ask for a replacement, however their 2nd response about not offering replacement OR credit kind of directly implies "too bad, not our problem". Sure, I could still offer to ship the original back, but seeing as how I was told "no credit", why would I waste my money shipping it back just to not get credit for it anyway? That's just throwing good money after bad, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry. I'll be darned, thought it didn't say that.

On 6/28/2016 at 4:42 PM, Doktor said:

Sometimes, I let my principles get the best of me. For instance, I just cut ties with DCBS over 1 book.

So, like many of you, I've gone to mail-order for the majority of my books. Probably been ordering from them for 4 or 5 years now. I've mostly been satisfied with them. Only 1 damaged book in the past few years that was replaced, but otherwise, until now, they've always been pretty good. Until today.

I got this month's order the other day and Civil War II #2 was damaged. 2 pretty ghastly creases on that card stock cover was way too noticeable. NCB stuff on other books happens from time to time. But this bugged me. So of course, I sent an email to customer service explaining very politely that it was damaged & inquiring about a replacement. No big thing. They replied back & asked for photos. Sure, no problem. Trying to get pictures of color breaking stuff on a glossy card stock was a nightmare of course, but you can mostly see them in the photos. Maybe not as well as in-hand, but still. Cool. Photos sent & I figured "they'll take care of it in some way"...

Today I got this reply:

Hi Joe,

Thanks,

XXXXXX

This didn't exactly sit well with me. Ok, fine. You can't replace it. No big deal. You ran out of stock that doesn't have that same problem. Whatever. But not even crediting it? I'm sorry... what? Exactly how is that my problem? You shipped a damaged book. You admitted you shipped a damaged book. And you won't even credit it? Unacceptable.

So maybe my principles got the best of me, but while I decided to give them the opportunity to clarify, I also made it clear in the most polite manner possible that this is unacceptable. And made it perfectly clear that if they're unwilling to even credit for a damaged product & expect me to understand that, then they'll have to understand that I'm taking my business elsewhere. I know they probably don't care. I'm only about a $120/month customer for them (unless there's a pricey variant that I really want). One of thousands. But if this is how they handle 1 damaged $5 product, I won't stick around to find out how they handle a damaged order or a damaged high-dollar variant or on the occasion that I order something more expensive & it arrives damaged.

TL;DR

I think I just threw the most polite temper tantrum of my life over a $5 book because apparently it's my problem if I'm shipped a damaged item. So screw them. I'll take my business elsewhere.

I know this post is older but I wanna rant a bit too Doktor. Ok now mind you this is the first shipment of my first order from DCBS. Part of a $500something dollar order. I already placed a $1500 order for October too. That probably seems like a lot to some of you but to me its called speculation and investment. If I think a book will be valuable in 10yrs I dont buy 1 or 2. I buy 10. Then I'll sell 2-3 to get some money back as needed.

This can be like an update for you(Doktor) on DCBS CS a year later. 

For 1 they didnt or don't have the 10 Venomverse 1 Torques I ordered. Maybe they were shipped some bad ones. Im not sure. But looking at the others.... Hopefully those come with the second half of the order

2 order was packaged well and was not damaged in shipping.

So I open it. Looks good. Then I look at the books.20170916_204714.thumb.jpg.6297aa9e5fb2bf1a0441950943e95062.jpg All of my Venomverse 2 Torques look like this. Some worse than others.  And its not just the torques. Half of my books look this way like someone set my pile of unboarded books on a frickin wavy platform. Ok they look pretty good other than that. I press will fix it if Im sending for grading. I can deal with the wavy paper. Comics won't always be perfect.

Then I look at my Francavilla Venomverse 2 variant. It has some wave to it some printer press lines(or whatever you want to call them) and a dent in the back. I can deal with all that. It's still probably NM if I dont get dinged for the printer lines. Somebody please  chime in on if you get dinged for those. What wasnt ok was the big 2" cb crease on the top corner.20170916_204457.thumb.jpg.8131d768e0655d7b34145de72a813e90.jpg20170916_204537.thumb.jpg.babac9df1548c568281e21564d26d294.jpg Thats a handling error, not a production error. I paid $75 for that book and its an 8.5. That is ridiculous.  Ive actually found out most of the time the distributor will take back and replace ratios that are under NM. So there is no reason I should have an 8.5. Especially at that price point. It should be a 9.2 or better. 

I have emailed DCBS to get a replacement and will post the results here whenever they get back to me. That October preorder is getting cancelled(im on a charge note) if they dont take the return and replace or credit me. So lets see how it goes.

20170916_204514.jpg