• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think are some of the most undervalued comics out there?
3 3

194 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Great comics should be worth more than dull ones.

image.thumb.jpg.bf24fd59d0208243502b4040eea2e341.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.504b84ed914166c578f3e94fb9ab3eb8.jpg

image.jpg

My favorite Thors are the Colonizer books-just wait til Tana Nile appears in a movie then you'll see!

23 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Cerebus 1.  2000 copies total.  It will break out if the series gets optioned

See, as much as I personally love Cerebus, I think it's actually OVERvalued compared to the character's relevance in the current marketplace. 

41 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

See, as much as I personally love Cerebus, I think it's actually OVERvalued compared to the character's relevance in the current marketplace. 

There are some strange shows / movies out right now (Happy??) but I just can't see a Cerebus movie being made.  I could never get thru an issue so I'd not be the target audience but I'd bet heavily against a Cerebus movie ever being made.

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

There are some strange shows / movies out right now (Happy??) but I just can't see a Cerebus movie being made.  I could never get thru an issue so I'd not be the target audience but I'd bet heavily against a Cerebus movie ever being made.

I think it'd be practically impossible to adapt to another medium, because where do you start? The early issues were a funny animal Conan parody, which isn't something that's really marketable these days, as no one cares about Conan and I don't think funny animals are all the rage. The high points of the storyline, IMO, are High Society and Church and State, but, again, I just don't see how it would translate to another medium. Cerebus worked as a comic, and played to the strengths of the medium (yes, even including some of those tiresome prose issues.) I think it's a singular achievement in comics (even when Dave went off his nut in the later years with the woman hating and God stuff) but I just don't see it translating well to another form, or anyone taking a chance and putting the money in to TRY to adapt it. It's sprawling. 300 issues. Maybe you could have made a cartoon out of it back in the 80's when the book was flying high, but what sort of audience is there for the character these days? I don't know what the order numbers are for the recent Cerebus offerings, but if Dave is selling more than a few hundred copies of any of those books, I'd be amazed.

22 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Does GPA list anywhere what sites they pull sales from? I would not have thought a site like this would garner their recognition.

I remember George (GPA) saying that he'll take sales from reputable sites who provide all of them.  "All" being the key word because Comiclink only wanted to report "some".

31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I remember George (GPA) saying that he'll take sales from reputable sites who provide all of them.  "All" being the key word because Comiclink only wanted to report "some".

Because they didn't want to report below market price sales?

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Maybe. I remember they wanted to be "selective" and George didn't want that.

I called them & asked. They said they report GPA only if the buyer request their book to be reported. Otherwise they don't. They do list completed sales on their site for a limited time. I don't know if they list all sales though. I suspect they don't list the below market ones

Edited by MGsimba77

On 4/22/2018 at 1:34 PM, ygogolak said:

Does GPA list anywhere what sites they pull sales from? I would not have thought a site like this would garner their recognition.

The sites are listed on GPA's home page.  My sense is there is a range from the well-known venues (eBay, Heritage) to those that report very few sales or are in effect no longer operating. 

I designed and built Heronext.com a couple of years ago with the help of an accomplished web developer friend.  It is not so much a dealer site as a place for comic buyers and sellers of all types to meet and transact.  I have not had time to actively promote the site for a while, but a few sellers have liked the unique and useful features and have taken advantage of the free individualized stores.  I don't charge a monthly fee and don't take any sales commission.  We have probably reported a couple hundred CGC-graded comic sales to GPA over the years.  I cannot vouch for the integrity of the sales, other than those from my own inventory, any more than a venue like eBay can.  The recent Spirou sales are definitely eye-catching.  Anyone here is welcome to PM me about them or anything else regarding the site.

12 hours ago, 1Cool said:

12 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I think it'd be practically impossible to adapt to another medium, because where do you start? The early issues were a funny animal Conan parody, which isn't something that's really marketable these days, as no one cares about Conan and I don't think funny animals are all the rage. The high points of the storyline, IMO, are High Society and Church and State, but, again, I just don't see how it would translate to another medium. Cerebus worked as a comic, and played to the strengths of the medium (yes, even including some of those tiresome prose issues.) I think it's a singular achievement in comics (even when Dave went off his nut in the later years with the woman hating and God stuff) but I just don't see it translating well to another form, or anyone taking a chance and putting the money in to TRY to adapt it. It's sprawling. 300 issues. Maybe you could have made a cartoon out of it back in the 80's when the book was flying high, but what sort of audience is there for the character these days? I don't know what the order numbers are for the recent Cerebus offerings, but if Dave is selling more than a few hundred copies of any of those books, I'd be amazed.

Hmm.. so you don't think a cartoon would work?  I thought it might translate well.