• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think are some of the most undervalued comics out there?
3 3

194 posts in this topic

I still think Conan #1 (maybe even Chamber of Darkness #4 for that matter) are undervalued considering the character's importance in introducing the genre to the industry. You can also lump in Conan #23-24 for that matter, which is even more undervalued.

You wanna talk about really undervalued books?

The whole horror genre is in my opinion way undervalued.

EC, Eerie,Creepy,Vampirella,Marvel Horror.

The amazing stories and art by some of the greats in comics. Jack Davis,Ditko,Boris Vallejo,Neil Adams,Wood, and let's not forget Frank Frazetta .

And those painted covers,those painted covers are a work of art.

It blows my mind how these books can be had for a song. (shrug)

Umm, Maybe Four Color 16 Series 1? The First Mickey Mouse in comic book Format. Yes this book is somewhat expensive, but it is pretty rare. I am just not sure, but I am going to assume Mickey Mouse is just as iconic as any other character out there? Yet somehow the 5.0 Copies sell for less than most Silver Age key books.

I also agree with Oak that Horror comics are undervalued.

These threads always confuse me as how one should participate...

If I name a book I DO NOT have, I run the risk of naming things that others will now go after and perhaps acquire before I do. Why should I create competition for myself.

If I name a book I DO have then I run the risk of appearing as if I am trying to hawk my own book so I can sell it as demand increases.

That's why it's more of a commentary on the critical thinking abilities of the OP more than anything else, regardless of the answers.

I think the whole lot of high grade secondary DC titles like Doom Patrol, Metal Men, Challengers if the Unknown, Hawk-man, Atom, and some issues from Brave and bold and Showcase titles have lots of room. Common in low grade but tougher in 8.0+ and still relatively cheap.

I think the whole lot of high grade secondary DC titles like Doom Patrol, Metal Men, Challengers if the Unknown, Hawk-man, Atom, and some issues from Brave and bold and Showcase titles have lots of room. Common in low grade but tougher in 8.0+ and still relatively cheap.

along those lines I think Beast Boy could be big when some of these Teen Titan Go fans get into comics...

Umm, Maybe Four Color 16 Series 1? The First Mickey Mouse in comic book Format.

I think if Disney collectors ever decide to branch out into the early GA era comics there could be a huge spike in value for them. I agree, Im always surprised how relatively affordable a Disney "first" comic is...

I also agree with Oak that Horror comics are undervalued.

Pre-Code Horror doesn't seem all that cheap!

You wanna talk about really undervalued books?

The whole horror genre is in my opinion way undervalued.

EC, Eerie,Creepy,Vampirella,Marvel Horror.

The amazing stories and art by some of the greats in comics. Jack Davis,Ditko,Boris Vallejo,Neil Adams,Wood, and let's not forget Frank Frazetta .

And those painted covers,those painted covers are a work of art.

It blows my mind how these books can be had for a song. (shrug)

I get horror, but Vampierella?

If I name a book I DO NOT have, I run the risk of naming things that others will now go after and perhaps acquire before I do. Why should I create competition for myself.

If I name a book I DO have then I run the risk of appearing as if I am trying to hawk my own book so I can sell it as demand increases.

So, name a book that you DO NOT have that you WILL NOT be purchasing.

Here's my answer:

Action Comics #1

It's the most expensive comic, and it will ALWAYS be the most expensive comic.

So, all these other books might have room to grow, but they have a ceiling.

Action Comics #1 has no ceiling.

There will eventually be a $10,000,000 comic... and it will be Action #1.

On Wall St. they added a rule that requires stock analysts who recommend/comment on a stock to also disclose whether or not they own the stock.

And we all know how honest wall street is. Heh.

The safe answer, then, would be to name a book you have, but don't intend to sell. However, if there's nothing in your collection that doesn't have a price tag on it, then the criticism is deserved.

Some more then others

superman adventures 5

omega men 3

new teen titans 21

Marvel spotlight 5 ( I know the movies messed that book up but still)

flash (1959 series) 106

next men 21

Disagree with those two for sure. Flash 106 is pretty darn pricey for Gorilla Grodd and the Pied Piper. I believe it is the second most valuable book in the entire Flash run. (I don't think that it should be, I think that honor should belong to 123.)

As to MS5, two horrible movies for a C level character should be the kiss of death, yet MS5 kind of defied that expectation and is still up there in the same ball park as Hero for Hire 1. That is staying power if you ask me.

Ghost Rider is great - it would be a great animated series.

1970's Charlton - Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man , Space 1999

Gold Key Battle of the Planets.

Platinum age Charlie Chaplin ( and many other pre 1920 books.)

All stuff I buy.

1939 New York's Worlds Fair, FIRST published app. of Sandman and an early Superman app. This book can still be bought for around 3K in VG. Much too low in my opinion.

Agreed, I have the 1940 and I think that is undervalued as well.