• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think are some of the most undervalued comics out there?
3 3

194 posts in this topic

No one can predict the future or how a book/ character will play out. I belong to the never-cerebus'ers debate, but if you think that it wouldn't make a comeback if not only based on its significant history with the indie market you're sadly mistaken. 

I just think it will happen first with Elfquest

An unconventional pick.

Marvelman #25

first Miracle Man

Imagine if Marvel put him in Phase 4 of their movie universe?

Image result for Marvel Man 25

Some history here.

http://www.comicpriceguide.co.uk/uk_comic.php?tc=marman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvelman

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

9 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Hmm.. so you don't think a cartoon would work?  I thought it might translate well. 

Well, never say never, obviously! We're seeing movies and shows these days that I never thought would happen in a million years. So I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying I'd be really, really, really surprised!

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

No one can predict the future or how a book/ character will play out. I belong to the never-cerebus'ers debate, but if you think that it wouldn't make a comeback if not only based on its significant history with the indie market you're sadly mistaken. 

True, anything can happen, and yeah, if the property was ever optioned, the book would likely see a bump, just cuz that's the market we're living in these days. It's already a very valuable and desired book in spite of the fact that it has practically zero cultural cachet these days. And again, to be clear, I'm a huge Cerebus fan. I stuck with Dave to the bitter end on that book. I just don't see it being a property that is on Hollywood's radar right now, as it's barely on the comic book world's radar anymore. But stranger things have happened, and I'll gladly eat my words should it come to pass. 

6 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Elquest 100x more of a developable a property compared to Cerebus. 

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Elquest 100x more of a developable a property compared to Cerebus. 

Exactly. Another thing is that Elfquest is actually STILL selling well. Just not to the current collectors market. 

And my gut tells me that if history will repeat itself with the indies, it will happen in the same order it started. With Elfquest first 

9 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Exactly. Another thing is that Elfquest is actually STILL selling well. Just not to the current collectors market. 

And my gut tells me that if history will repeat itself with the indies, it will happen in the same order it started. With Elfquest first 

Is Elfquest 1 worth anything compared to cerebus 1?  Also what's the distribution number?    I just think the number of Cerebus 1 as well as the counterfeits makes it a very compelling comic.... if it ever gets optioned.. the genuine comic will go ballistic.  

Edited by Wolverinex

44 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Is Elfquest 1 worth anything compared to cerebus 1?  Also what's the distribution number?    I just think the number of Cerebus 1 as well as the counterfeits makes it a very compelling comic.... if it ever gets optioned.. the genuine comic will go ballistic.  

I 100% agree the upside of a Cerebus 1 if a show/movie is options is very tempting.  I just think you have to be really in a gambling mood since the odds are terrible in my mind (bad odds but great pay out).

Edited by 1Cool

41 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

The value of a 1st appearance doesn't work in this example when compared to Elfquest. It never did in the past either. But sales numbers do.

Elfquest outperformed every indie book in the past in terms of published numbers. Over 15 millions books sold, licensed by 3 other publishers, being a NYTimes top selling book multiple times and an incredible line of merchandise has always put Elfquest on top of the competition. Much more so in the 80s than later. Elfquest's success was the inspiration for all the indie books that followed, every independently own creator/publisher wanted to hit the jackpot like Wendy & Richard did. 

That of course had changed when TMNT entered the scene, but the fans of Elfquest never left the book even then. 

In terms of sales on the secondary market, Elfquest books/items outperform cerebus books/items by large numbers, with the exception of issue 1 which is still without a doubt one of the major indie grails sought by any serious comic collector

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I 100% agree the upside of a Cerebus 1 if a show/movie is options is very tempting.  I just think you have to be really in a gambling mood since the odds are terrible in my mind (bad odds but great pay out).

You are probably right.  High risk, high reward.  I just can't wrap my mind around 2000 copies number...

Strange Tales #111 - 2nd Doctor Strange, 1st Baron mordo and really low census numbers - especially in higher grade.  ST 110 is priced out of most peoples price range as well.  Also its the first appearance of asbestos man, you never know, maybe one of those flip sites will hear a rumor from a friend of a friend of a friend that asbestos man will be making his MCU debut soon.

On 4/21/2018 at 10:31 PM, KirbyJack said:

Great comics should be worth more than dull ones.

image.thumb.jpg.bf24fd59d0208243502b4040eea2e341.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.504b84ed914166c578f3e94fb9ab3eb8.jpg

image.jpg

I like the way you think.  FF57-60 is my favorite arc of all time.  They epitomize Marvel’s Silver Age.  

I’d add Thor 337 to the list of undervalued books.  You’d be hard-pressed to find a better single issue than that book.  Start of one of the classic runs of all-time.  Memorable cover.  Wonderful interior artwork.  Massively influential.  1st appearance of a long lasting character.  The book has it all.  

11 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

The Simonson run of Thor is straight-up awesome! Absurdly under-appreciated.

It amazes me that I can still dig super nice copies of this run out of the 50 cent bin, aside from the BRB issue. Maybe because it's been reprinted so many times in so many formats, I dunno. But yeah, it's an amazing run and still mostly available dirt cheap.

On 4/24/2018 at 9:24 AM, valiantman said:

Elfquest 1?  That's not the first appearance.

0793450001_1200.jpg

A nice looking copy of this magazine here, but is there ever a bad looking copy?  

Was there a warehouse find or something for this book as there appears to be a ton of copies in uber HG condition?  hm

On 4/25/2018 at 6:55 PM, KirbyJack said:

The Simonson run of Thor is straight-up awesome! Absurdly under-appreciated.

I bought and read every issue of the Simpsons from #1-100 and quit. Last new comic I bought. Are there any stand out issues in that run? 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

A nice looking copy of this magazine here, but is there ever a bad looking copy?  

Was there a warehouse find or something for this book as there appears to be a ton of copies in uber HG condition?  hm

A little hazy on the details here, but I think I heard the Pini's had some copies held back that they sold a couple years ago, and a number of them showed up on ebay graded 9.4 - 9.8

On 4/27/2018 at 5:02 PM, lou_fine said:

It's actually not a magazine, it's comic book sized but printed on regular paper, even the cover (as opposed to gloss), and some of the interior has different paper stock which gives it a fanzine feel. also interesting about this book is that there are no staples to it! I'm not sure if that's how it is with all copies but that's how it is with the 3 copies I have. Not sure how they bound this book

There are DEFINITELY more copies of this book around than Elfquest #1 1st print (1$ cover price) even tho Fantasy Quarterly is the the original source used in Elfquest 1. I am always in search of issue 1 when I'm digging or on the bay and in the past few years I've found less than a handful, and not ONE in 8.0 or higher.

On a side note I met Wendy & Rich yesterday and was great catching up. Wendy did tell me that they have been approached MANY times by top tier movie personnel requesting to adapt Elfquest but they do not want to turn it to a Hollywood sweetheart ala LOTR/Harry Potter. 

IMG_5449.JPG