• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever bought something on eBay by accident? I have!

25 posts in this topic

I was scrolling through CGC books last week on eBay and come across this book, which I don't see very often, and thought I'd throw a bid for $5 more than the current price just so I could see what it went for. Yes I know I could have WATCHED it and found it, but I didn't think there was any harm and was sure it wouldn't actually only bringing $326. When I woke up the next morning, I had a notification that I had won it! Oops! After a little research, I actually think that I didn't do that bad as a 4.5 brought $800 last month and a VG- lists for $525 in OSPG 42.

Has anyone else done something similar?

13516722_1405495082809323_751195238468235996_n.jpg

I remember when I was growing up, I was a huge Derek Jeter fan. My dad and I were really into collecting baseball cards and memorabilia. There was a Derek Jeter autographed All-Star Jersey inscribed and numbered 2 out 22 with a COA from Steiner Sports. It was fairly cheap, so my dad put the minimum bid of like $400 in. We went to church that night, came home, and found out we had actually won. lol I couldn't have been happier but my dad was really in shock. I still have it hanging in my house today.

I place bids in heritage auctions to watch the price the books go for. I know I can just do the tracking but im sure heritage does not mind bid count going up.

anyway placed $125 on a raw spidey 50 in fine + and won it

hulk cgc 2.5 placed $125 bid and won it

also 8 western penn raw Iron mans aced a $80 bid and won it.

this happened about 4 years ago.

I kept the hulk but flipped everything else for double what I paid including shipping

wish I still had spidey 50 it was a bargain price

Yeah, I bought rocker panels for a car I don't own because I panicked and hit the BIN when I saw how low the price was, and they looked like what I needed in the picture. I was confused when the package came and it was all wrong and I had to look at the listing again to make sure I didn't get the wrong package. $50 down the drain.

Yeah, several times. Hit a buy it now then find out later I already had it. I never asked the seller to cancel, I just paid up because it was my mistake. Also bought a book with the centerfold missing for a very good price (I thought), didn't read the description very well, so I paid up.

Now I have also thrown down the minimum opening bid and forgotton about it. I have won a lot of auctions by doing that.

I did this once. I put a bid on a Earnie Shavers signed picture and didn't expect it to win, bid was $5. I had initially thought it was Muhammad Ali. I asked the seller if I could cancel and he got quite upset lol

A simple no would have sufficed, but he felt even afterward to bash me on my feedback. I paid and have this sitting in a drawer somewhere.

It's not a bad piece, has Shavers knocking a good one on Ali.

Not ebay, but I put a $1 tracking bid on a Nexus animation cell on Comiclink (they don't have a tracking feature :P ) and didnt pay attention to the final auction. I was surprised when I received an invoice for $1 + shipping several weeks later

Not on eBay, but I was at one of my LCS' comic book auctions. I had already won the items I was there for, and still had a few bucks leftover, so I hung around hoping to snag the 1st appearance of Animal Man for cheap. While I was waiting I struck up a conversation with the bidder next to me who had outbid me on an earlier lot. I knew my lot was coming up, so I was listening to him in one ear, and the auctioneer in the other. I started bidding on my lot, and won with a relatively cheap price, only to find out that I had won a series of Hulk Eaglemoss figurines instead. D'oh...

I had started bidding one lot too early, and ended up not having enough cash left to actually bid on the Strange Adventures #180. Oh well.

One of these days I'm going to have to put those figures up on eBay to help recoup the cost of my hard earned lesson about paying attention.

I almost forgot about all of the freaking car parts and tools that I've grabbed on ebay only to realize "oh feces... I have that tool/bit/socket already" or "it's the wrong size" or "sonnuva... That was for this OTHER model VW. Not mine. Dammit. Well, looks like I've got a useless [car part for a car I don't own that sometimes tempts me to consider buying that car just so that I have a use for the part now] now. Guess I could sell it on the 'Tex if I'm ever hurting for spare cash"

Only a few times have I bought a book that I realized I totally missed something on looking at the pictures or already had the book. Thankfully, nothing BIG dollar except for the aforementioned GSXM 1 (but even that was actually dirt cheap compared to prices these days on the same book)

It's very easy to do on your phone.....many times I've been browsing when I hit the BIN button by accident and it starts calculating my total.....good thing they added a second confirm button

I've pretty much given up listing on eBay since I signed up here. One of the things that used to irk me the most was when a buyer would ask to return something due to a defect that was clearly indicated in the description. They would look at the picture and bid then complain once they received the item. Some would start right out with attitude that I was trying to rip them off. In most cases, I would refund and make them eat postage. A few honest souls would admit their mistake but not many.

It's very easy to do on your phone.....many times I've been browsing when I hit the BIN button by accident and it starts calculating my total.....good thing they added a second confirm button

I did that too on a $500 book. Almost had a heart attack. This was before the second confirm button. Luckily the seller was understanding.