• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four Months of Comics

7 posts in this topic

About a year and a half ago, I won an auction at my LCS with a bunch of different parts to it.

One of them was 1 copy each of every new book on the shelves. That means anything that didn't sell out and which hadn't yet made it to the back issue bins, about four months worth. This essentially means 1 of almost everything released from about Oct 2014 to February 2015 (I'm talking actual months there, not cover dates). No variant covers, I assume.

I'm finally getting around to looking through the boxes to see what I have. It's about 350 books total.

Any chance there's _anything_ from that period that has since turned into a hot or even semi-hot book? Or am I just going to wind up donating the whole lot to the library?

I cannot, off-hand, think of anything in particular I should be keeping an eye out for. But then again I hardly read anything anymore. Indeed there's a run of something called "Sixis" on top which I never heard of but apparently was a big cross-over event. (Ed. Oh, it's "Axis" with a weird font)

it depends on which version of certain books you got...

I went in and did a search on Mycomicshop for books published between those dates and set a price at >$20. Not all of these are actually >$20, but if they came up with CGC slabs of a certain price I included them. Also there were plenty of variants that were worth keeping, but I dont know what you got so you'll have to look them up...

Batman in general

person_without_enough_empathy Planet

Black Science 9

Death of Wolverine 1

Edge of the Spider-verse 2

Empty 1

Humans 0, 1

Suicide Squad

Rumble 1

Spider-verse Team-Up 1

Thor 1

Walking Dead 132

other books maybe worth $10-20

Spiderman 2099 6

Fadeout 1

Edge of the Spiderverse in general

Scarlet Spider 1

Princeless Pirate Princess came out then too and it's a great read.

SO basically pull out Batman titles, Spiderman titles, Suicide Squad, and then any #1s

FineCollector,

I went through about half of them last night. There's hardly anything I want to read or keep, so I'll definitely find a way to get most of them to interested readers. I have a friend who works at a children's hospital, so I'll go that route for the ones that are most obviously kid appropriate. Of course, I do want to identify the few that might be worth selling individually and that's the challenge for me.

Miraclemet,

Thanks so much for running that search for me. I was not aware you could search at mycomicshop by date - that's a nice resource to know about in the future.

Most of those books weer probably hot enough back then to not be in the box, but I do have a run of Black Science in there.And a ton of Bat books though hardly any of "Batman" itself. (Ed. Black Science 9 has many issues listed on mycomicshop for good money, but is routinely on sale on eBay for cover price.)

I'm going to take a wild guess that this solid run of "All-New Doop" isn't going to buy me a new house. Or a $1 order of nuggets at Wendy's.

I gotta say that going through this mess has given me a new respect for the skills of anyone who can run an LCS. You have to be able to find the very few people living in your area who are willing to pay full retail (or close) for a wide variety of product that is almost worthless the instant it is sold. Which means identifying and attracting the few people who value simply reading this material and are willing to pay a lot to do so. And it holds almost no value for you if it doesn't sell right away. Tough balancing act.

This is probably $1500 worth of stuff at cover price - there can't be a dealer in the world who would give me more than $100 for it all now, just a year and a half later. I guess it's not much different than the bookselling biz, but with a much smaller overall market. My hat's off to anyone who can make it work.