• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brooklyn recognizing favorite fantasy son

38 posts in this topic

Exclusive: Captain America celebrates 75 years with new bronze statue

636033046853946411-Final-Roughest-Sketch-Cap-Statue.jpg

For the superhero’s anniversary, Marvel is unveiling a 13-foot-tall bronze Cap at San Diego Comic-Con (July 20-24) before it heads east on a cross-country trip and lands in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park for a dedication ceremony on Aug. 10.

Of course, the dude's a natural for such an honor. “For the past 75 years, Captain America has inspired generations of fans serving as the ultimate global icon for freedom, strength and doing the right thing,” says Paul Gitter, senior vice president of licensing for Marvel at Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media.

The statue, which literally weighs a ton, features the movie quote “I’m just a kid from Brooklyn” — from Captain America: The First Avenger, the first movie to feature Chris Evans as the character — and features a pose “symbolically chosen to showcase the impressive strength of Captain America and his stoic form,” Gitter adds. “Captain America’s signature shield also takes prominence, paying homage to his heroism, indestructible power and determination.”

Well, if anything people will be able to purchase their own minis of the statue.

Marvel will update their social media streams to alert fans to the statue’s location during Comic-Con, which takes place July 20-24. They will also be selling 750 limited edition 12-inch bronze replicas and 100-made-to-order 35-inch pewter replicas of the statue for fans to display home.

“We hope that when fans see the statue, they will think back to a favorite comic book, treasured action figure or even be transported back to a special time and place in their lives where Captain America’s values played influence,” Paul Gitter, senior vice president of licensing for Marvel at Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media told USA Today.

Marvel has revealed the statue and mini-statue.

Y00OLoq.jpg

M0M6lcz.jpg

vsNs37J.jpg

Comicave Studios — which designed the statue with Marvel artists — will be selling a limited-edition line of 750 12-inch bronze replicas and 100 made-to-order 35-inch pewter ones for Cap aficionados to show off at home.

:whee::whee::whee:

From the Comicave Studios site.

suTEH2m.jpg

Captain America 75th Anniversary Site

1/12 Scale Bronze Replica

Limited to 750 world-wide, each piece of 1/12 Scale Bronze Replica is hand-crafted and packaged in a classic wooden box, weighing approximately at 8.8 lbs (4 kg) in total. This collector's edition also comes certified with an Authenticity Card. Each piece is also serialized on a metal plate.

Available at SDCC 2016, the SDCC event price runs at USD $350 on Preview Night (July 20) and USD $400 on event days (July 21 - 24). Retail Price at USD $450.

1/4 Scale Pewter Replica

The 1/4 Scale Pewter Replica will be available for pre-order first at San Diego Comic Con as well. Produced by Comicave Studios and manufactured by Royal Selangor, each statue is made-to-order, and packed in a Premium mahogany wooden box worthy of its sharp elegance. The first 20 pieces ships in 3 months.

Limited to only 100 world-wide, each collector's piece is serialized on a metal plate affixed to the statue's base. The replica is expect to weigh close to 80 lbs (40 kg). Pre-order at SDCC price USD $3,500 (excludes shipping and taxes).

So for the 75th anniversary of a character from Manhattan, they're putting a statue up in Brooklyn based on a 5 year old movie quote? :shy:

Pretty lame, I agree. But to many out there, the comics don't even exist in their world (shrug)

I tried to get my former hometown- Mineola, to honor Simon and Kirby among its famous residents but got nowhere. Brian Dennahy gets a plaque but not S&K.

Dennahy wasn't even born there. He just went to High School there.

I tried to get my former hometown- Mineola, to honor Simon and Kirby among its famous residents but got nowhere. Brian Dennahy gets a plaque but not S&K.

Dennahy wasn't even born there. He just went to High School there.

His mother lived here for many years, I assume he might have as well.

He bartended at a spot in the train station plaza for a bit.