• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Shops in LA

36 posts in this topic

Hoping to get some feedback on any kewl comic shops in the LA area. I will be traveling and might have some down time. Any recommendations on what to check out? Thanks to all.

Blast Off Comics in North Hollywood. It's on Lankershim just south of Magnolia. They have a lot of Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Don't know if it's "a lot" but they do have all eras. They also have relatively high prices.

Burbank / North Hollywood Area:

House of Secrets is the shop I usually stop at when I'm in L.A. Great store and great employees.

DJ's Universal is mostly newer comics, and not any keys. There are some "rare" variants on the wall (JSC stuff) but again, prices are up there.

Down the same street as DJ's is ComicSmash. A lot of back issues -- mostly Modern.

Glendale:

Last time I was there Legacy had some good stuff -- but it was all in the back and had to be asked for. And then was priced based on eBay sales.

Sun Valley:

There is also a combo tattoo/comic shop which has some good stuff (and a nice owner), but is rather unorganized and not in a great neighborhood.

Outskirts:

Lastly, there is the Frank n Sons (sp?) show which runs a few times a week, is free, and is like a small convention. Hit or miss, but for free there are several comic dealers in one spot.

All of the above is based on the last time I was in LA (March) so some of the above may have changed (or closed).

House of Secrets is the shop I usually stop at when I'm in L.A. Great store and great employees.

Be very, very, very careful shopping at House of Secrets. Both the owner, Paul, and his manager/co-owner, Eric, don't care about restoration, pages missing, etc.

I have purchased high dollar books (Avengers #1, etc) from them, gotten them signed by Stan Lee, and upon discovering it was restored (5th wrap married), was only offered my original purchase price....for which they got a Stan Lee SS book in return, sig and slab cost free.

I purchased a Hulk #181 from them, and, after carefully checking the spine for the telltale red color touch, did not notice the well-done BROWN color touch in the bottom right quadrant of the front cover.

I was looking at a JLA #2 (1960) that was for sale, and, having learned my lesson over the years, counted pages: it was missing one. I pointed this out to Eric, and he shrugged in nonchalance, and put the book back in the case...knowing full well they would sell it to someone who didn't know better and didn't know to check.

I believe, because they simply don't care, that HOS has become a dumping ground for cracked out problem books, that people buy at the restored price, crack, and then sell to HOS for a significant premium as "unrestored."

They just don't care. They really, truly don't.

I stopped shopping there in 2010, after the Avengers #1 debacle (man, was a I angry...it was a 5.5 signed by Stan. And you all know what happened to Avengers #1s in 2011. meh ), after being a customer for over a decade, paying their asking prices, and spending maybe $30,000-$40,000 over that time period. I spent $10,000 in 2007 alone there.

They put on a good, friendly show upfront, but if you have a problem, they won't stand behind what they sell, and they'll badmouth you behind your back. Typical hipster elitists.

So...they have nice stuff, and the store is nice, well-lit, and arranged well....but if you buy anything high dollar, be VERY, VERY careful, and if you have ANY question, just don't buy it.

Be very, very, very careful shopping at House of Secrets. Both the owner, Paul, and his manager/co-owner, Eric, don't care about restoration, pages missing, etc.

I have purchased high dollar books (Avengers #1, etc) from them, gotten them signed by Stan Lee, and upon discovering it was restored (5th wrap married), was only offered my original purchase price....for which they got a Stan Lee SS book in return, sig and slab cost free.

I purchased a Hulk #181 from them, and, after carefully checking the spine for the telltale red color touch, did not notice the well-done BROWN color touch in the bottom right quadrant of the front cover.

I was looking at a JLA #2 (1960) that was for sale, and, having learned my lesson over the years, counted pages: it was missing one. I pointed this out to Eric, and he shrugged in nonchalance, and put the book back in the case...knowing full well they would sell it to someone who didn't know better and didn't know to check.

I believe, because they simply don't care, that HOS has become a dumping ground for cracked out problem books, that people buy at the restored price, crack, and then sell to HOS for a significant premium as "unrestored."

They just don't care. They really, truly don't.

I stopped shopping there in 2010, after the Avengers #1 debacle (man, was a I angry...it was a 5.5 signed by Stan. And you all know what happened to Avengers #1s in 2011. meh ), after being a customer for over a decade, paying their asking prices, and spending maybe $30,000-$40,000 over that time period. I spent $10,000 in 2007 alone there.

They put on a good, friendly show upfront, but if you have a problem, they won't stand behind what they sell, and they'll badmouth you behind your back. Typical hipster elitists.

So...they have nice stuff, and the store is nice, well-lit, and arranged well....but if you buy anything high dollar, be VERY, VERY careful, and if you have ANY question, just don't buy it.

I do remember you mentioning as much in a similar "LA store" thread.

I went to HoS in 2014 and on a few more occasions and don't buy huge $ books so I haven't been in the same position. I did buy a pretty pricey (for me at least) copper book they gave me a great price on and came back the grade assigned (and blue).

During that transaction the employee (don't remember his name) was extremely nice, told me how it came into the store, and gave me a holiday discount on top. He also let me look through a new collection that just came in he was in the middle of processing.

Those are my limited experiences with the shop. For the small window of time I'm in LA -- and given the other shops immediately in that area -- I do stop at HoS first.

There was another store further out on a busy street (forgot the name but has a lot of nice books in a case at the front; lots of books on the wall on plastic shelves)...that is good as well, but not near me.

Remembered it: Earth 2 Comics on Ventura.

Blast Off Comics in North Hollywood. It's on Lankershim just south of Magnolia. They have a lot of Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Don't know if it's "a lot" but they do have all eras. They also have relatively high prices.

DJ's Universal is mostly newer comics, and not any keys. There are some "rare" variants on the wall (JSC stuff) but again, prices are up there.

Down the same street as DJ's is ComicSmash. A lot of back issues -- mostly Modern.

Glendale:

Last time I was there Legacy had some good stuff -- but it was all in the back and had to be asked for. And then was priced based on eBay sales.

Sun Valley:

There is also a combo tattoo/comic shop which has some good stuff (and a nice owner), but is rather unorganized and not in a great neighborhood.

Outskirts:

Lastly, there is the Frank n Sons (sp?) show which runs a few times a week, is free, and is like a small convention. Hit or miss, but for free there are several comic dealers in one spot.

All of the above is based on the last time I was in LA (March) so some of the above may have changed (or closed).

Smash Comics is closed for good. I agree with all your choices. Depending on where you are going to be in LA and how far you are willing to drive, there are a good number of shops to hit up.

Earth 2 in Sherman Oaks and in Northridge

Hide Ho Comics in Santa Monica

Golden Apple in LA

Pulp Fiction in Culver City

There's a lot more places, but they are pretty much spread out further than those areas. If you want a list of those, then let me know.

I have a part time shop/warehouse in canyon country, about 30 minutes north of Los Angeles. Usually only there on the weekends but sometimes during the week as well. It's called Cruzin Thru Comics. I have lots of back issues, some keys, some graded books, trades, hc's, statues and some toys. Just picked up 6 long boxes of Marvel and DC silver and bronze (some gold as well). Haven't even gone through them yet, lol.

Address is 16904 Sierra Highway, Canyon Country, Ca 91351.

Phone is 661-210-7746

Any boardies that want to stop by will get great deals on some books! Let me know- John.

Collector's Paradise in South Pasadena

Legacy Comics in Glendale ( Go to a nearby bakery called Porto's . Amazing pastries)

Comics n Toys in Eagle Rock

Secret Headquarters in Silver Lake (super hipster, not alot of back issues, but is a cool shop)

Is Geoffrey's still around? He used to have a lot of all age books. Hit and miss price wise. I know he died but thought his family might be running it.

I think there is also a shop I've heard of in Monrovia that supposedly has a decent amount of older books. I don't know the name though.

Legacy Comics in Glendale ( Go to a nearby bakery called Porto's . Amazing pastries)

Secret Headquarters in Silver Lake (super hipster, not alot of back issues, but is a cool shop)

Isn't it Comics Vs Toys in Eagle Rock? Or is there another store called Comics n Toys?

Is Geoffrey's still around? He used to have a lot of all age books. Hit and miss price wise. I know he died but thought his family might be running it.

I think there is also a shop I've heard of in Monrovia that supposedly has a decent amount of older books. I don't know the name though.

Geoffrey as in Geoffrey's Comics in Gardena? If that's who are you talking about, then yes, that store is still open and they actually bought out HiDe Ho comics in Santa Monica, so a lot of their sticker prices has Geoffrey's comics on them.

Is the store in Monrovia you are talking about called Comic Cellar?

Glendale:

Sun Valley:

Outskirts:

Blast Off has more than what's on the walls. You have to ask, though.

Comic Smash closed it's doors May 28th. He was great and I miss that store.

Porto's :cloud9:

Isn't it Comics Vs Toys in Eagle Rock? Or is there another store called Comics n Toys?

Geoffrey as in Geoffrey's Comics in Gardena? If that's who are you talking about, then yes, that store is still open and they actually bought out HiDe Ho comics in Santa Monica, so a lot of their sticker prices has Geoffrey's comics on them.

Maybe I should go by Geoffrey's. Used to get some stuff there once in a while.

The Comic Cellar is what I was thinking of. Anybody know if they have any decent vintage books there?

Maybe I should go by Geoffrey's. Used to get some stuff there once in a while.

The Comic Cellar is what I was thinking of. Anybody know if they have any decent vintage books there?

Comic cellars has a place in alhambra. They have their back issues boxes (silver/bronze/and some golden age dell) at 50% off. They have some decent bronze and silver keys in the glass showcase display at the back of the store but he usually takes the big books to shows as they don't keep them at either stores.

Blast Off has more than what's on the walls. You have to ask, though.

Comic Smash closed it's doors May 28th. He was great and I miss that store.

That's what I hear but all I know is what's in the store. I believe I overheard him say he has a warehouse of comics somewhere and only brings some stuff into the store and swaps it out to keep fresh.

I emailed him a list of comics to check on for me but never received a reply.

Not surprised Comic Smash closed; never saw anyone in there. Was actually going back there in August to check on a few comics; guess not.

The tattoo/comic shop guy in sun valley sold all his comics on eBay. Doesn't sell at his shop anymore

I didn't think anyone else knew about that shop. He loved to talk about comics and offered some good deals.

Going back to LA in August for a wedding; it's being held at the same place as where the most recent Bachelorette was filmed (have no idea of the city; hoping someone else might now based on that info). Wonder if it's close to Rufus's shop.